Am getting distorted sound on my Wii?!

goffrey

WiiChat Member
Dec 14, 2006
hi

just plugged in my Wii for the first time yesterday and noticed very distorted sound on Zelda, Sports and Mii channel at points. has anyone else noticed this and any tips on what I can do to correct it?

I turned the TV volume right down, but it still happened. I changed the connector on the Wii but it still happened. Tried headphones, still happened!

any help would be appreciated! thanks!

most likely...probably because im a n00b as well...

ok no worries...

no i dont think its the cables, all brand new and everything...i read on a few other forums that plugging into a hi fi might help...?!

I noticed that this happened on the Wii Sports menu when I plugged it into this one TV. It was an old TV though. It doesn't happen on the TV I usually use, so I would guess it is the TV.

are you by chance plugging it into an old receiver that you have set to PHONO?

it applies approximately 70db of gain to the signal and that'd do what you're describing, other than that, if your TV is amplifying the signal that'll mess it up too, but I've never seen a TV with anything other than LINE level inputs.

I'm not sure if it was somebody misunderstanding the WiiMote volume controls but I think it might be possible to set the volume of the wii itself, I dunno, seems unlikely but if so that'd handle your problem as well.

Is the signal cutting in and out and kind of garbagey, or does it sound like it's too loud and distorting for that reason?

Before you try anything too drastic, try cleaning the contacts on your TV/Receiver as well. Just swab around the outside and the inside with a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol. Then if it still doesn't work, tip the bottle and forget your problems :p

thanks for all the replies so far!

well last night i plugged my Wii into my hi-fi and the sound was fine!

so today im going to go out and get lead which will run from the phono connector on the lead in the Wii (which is plugged into the TV) and into my hi-fi and then, i can get back to goat herding on Zelda!

its strange that the machine has such loud sound on it, ive not encountered it before. my tv is fairly old but still a pretty decent tv.

i set the volume on the Wiimote as that was pretty loud but i couldnt find any option to turn down the volume on the Wii itself or on Zelda or Sports either.

I will also give the sockets on the TV a clean as well and see if that makes a difference.

thanks for your help so far!

Back