Am I fit to buy the Wifi usb internet adapter?

Kingston

Mohh2 Name: TheHater
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
Ok, I'm not sure what kind of internet I have.
I use a splitter to divide phone and internet.
the computer is always on the internet when it's turned on
I have bellsouth.

I have Windows XP

I have a box that may be a router.
It says things like Internet, Ethernet, Dsl, and USB. Ethernet light is on internet and dsl lights are on, but "USB" light is off

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

I hope thats enough info.

That "box" you have is a DSL Modem. Not a router. You need a wireless router. I recommend this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5507043&type=product&id=1051826245223

It's not hard to set up. Here is what this will do for you:

-Allows your Wii to connect to the internet wirelessly
-Allows multiple computers to connect to the internet in your house
-Allows for networks within your house

It connects to your router by ethernet cable. If you get it and set it up it will look like this: Phone jack -> Modem -> Router -> Computers/Wii

EDIT: To answer your main question, the WiFi USB adapter would give you internet, but it is a waste of money and would probably be a lot slower than a wireless router (which can do 20 times what the adapter can).

All i wanna do is connect my wii to do shop channel, and play online games like mario strikers. I have but one computer. can I do that with the nintendo wifi usb connector, and what I currently have ^^^

Yes, you CAN. BUT, for the same price you can get a wireless router and have a much more reliable connection. If you're going to play games like MSC you're going to need as good of a connection as you can get. The transfer rate of the USB WiFi adapter isn't even advertised, so i'm guessing it's around 10 Mbps. The router will give you 54 Mbps. Over 5 times faster.

So if I were to get the wireless router, I wouldn't have to buy ANYTHING else to get my wii online?
and Where would I plug this wireless router?

ok, what you need to do in order to know if that box is a router, then just go to the Wii configurations segment and go to internet then search for an access point in wi-fi and then if there is one open, click on it and start using it, if not then you do not have a router, you will need to buy one because it is the recommended connection.

What kind of wireless router do I want? the names confuse me!
My budget is a mere 50 Bucks.
Also, which ones could I buy at walmart.
to get things straight, I only need a wireless router and nothing else, right?

Are you reading any of the posts on this thread? Come on! READ.

Look at my previous posts to find that I found you a good, cheap router along with a simple diagram of how it connects to everthing.

EDIT: Yes, the only thing you need is a wireless router. Everything you need will come in the box. Thats it. Nothing else. No need to spend more money.

yes, that's right...and just buy a 30 dollar one, I recommend a Linksys one

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to bestBuy get a Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router just ask the worker there. Pay for it walk out open up the box once you open it up you should find a disc in there pop the disc into your comp and it will tell you how to set it up step by step.

Where would be the place I would connect it to the modem? all of the places it could go are being used. Sorry if I sound like an idiot, but I know nothing about how the internet works.

*stares blankly*. Forgive my impatience.

- Go to store
- Buy wireless router
- If needed, ask for help from an associate
- Go home
- Open box
- Find manual and instructions inside box
- Read said instructions
- Follow said instructions
- Enjoy internet on Wii
- Boast of your new-found knowledge of how to set up a wireless network

Seriously. Anyone can do this.

Back