An Pokemon MMO?

ZanTheMonk

WiiChat Member
Feb 1, 2008
I've been discusising this with a few of my friends, and even my older brother. A Pokemon MMO would be a good addition to the Pokemon franchise, no? If this is true, then why hasn't Nintendo made a MMo of it yet?

My apologies if this topic has already been made, but this is something that has bothered me for years.

Just think of it, creating your own character, backstory, adventure! Starting off with a select few of pokemon to chose from (not just the regular three most people do in games), choosing from a starting region to begin your journey. Epic battles, florid landscapes, making loyal allies, catching every single pokemon! To battle the Elite Four, gyms leaders, attend in tournements for rare items; it's a dream come true for any pokemon fan.

So why haven't they made one yet?:wtf:

MMO's don't tend to do good usually. Its very hard to get them going sucessfully and truthfully the MMO market is somewhat a monolopy right now with WoW dominating it. You also usually have to charge around $15 a month to play a MMO to keep servers up and keep patching it. Usually...

Anyway, MMO's suck because there's no real story to it. All you do is go around doing stupid quests, gaining exp and killing stuff. Atleast in the MMO's I have played... Usually things like (In WoW) killing 10 goblins, killing 10 boars, etc.

T3kNi9e said:
MMO's don't tend to do good usually. Its very hard to get them going sucessfully and truthfully the MMO market is somewhat a monolopy right now with WoW dominating it. You also usually have to charge around $15 a month to play a MMO to keep servers up and keep patching it. Usually...

Anyway, MMO's suck because there's no real story to it. All you do is go around doing stupid quests, gaining exp and killing stuff. Atleast in the MMO's I have played... Usually things like (In WoW) killing 10 goblins, killing 10 boars, etc.
But most Pokemon games have a pretty decent story to them. And I understand the monthly fees, I mean I'd pay 15 bucks to play Pokemon MMO. Since Pokemon is and has been mainly RPG based, it would do good as MMO, just a step up the ladder. My opinion at least.

Ehh, to me the old pokemon games had a cool story. Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow... Unless it was because I was a kid. I personally don't like the newer ones. I tried to play Pearl? or Diamond? I forgot which one it was, the recent one on DS. It was for my cousin, but I played it a bit before giving it to him and I stopped early. They tried to expand Pokemon so much they made it stupid with dumb looking pokemon and dumb names (this is my opinion).

WarCraft has a great story too. But when I played WoW, I hated it because even though its somewhat a RPG it sucks because its MMO, they basically take out the story. So if Pokemon was a MMO, picture Pokemon, without a story and any real timeline. You basically would start off with a pokemon and just level him up, catch more pokemon, do what you want but with no story driving the game. Which IMO is what I hate about MMO's. But obviously this is just my opinion because other people love MMO's. Pokemon MMO could be done, no doubt. But usually MMOs fail because it relies on having alot of subscribers to pay. Plus usually MMOs are extremely boring unless you have a big party to play with. So if you dont have alot of subscribers you basically have a trash game. Also most of the MMO lovers usually already pay for a MMO, so you would have to convince them to cancel their current game and start a new account on pokemon.

A pokemon MMORPG would be great, i play and love/enjoy World of warcraft and i was a big, big fan of the pokemon games on GB(A).

MMO's imo are one of the best things thats happened to video games, and are close to my fave type of game.

Anyway, in reply to T3kNi9e's post:
I agree that pokemon games would be crap without any real story or timeline. But MMO's dont necassarily have to take away that aspect of the game.

Ideas such as:
- Teaming up with other players to complete tasks/parts in the storyline.
- Choosing your own path as to how you want your players story to go. (eg the life of crime - to work for team rocket, to become a pokemon master... things like that).
- Enter Leagues/tournaments and compete against other players from all around the world, gain ranks from wins and have the privelege to compete in higher-rated tournaments.. with the ability to team up with other players and compete in a doubles tournament.

- The list of ideas is endless :) (these are only a few things i can think of, and would seperate a pokemon MMO from all the other tedious MMO's like wow)

Also, i lost interest in pokemon when they started making too many new ones (After Silver/Gold versions on the GB). It just got stupid with all the lame names, and repetition of new pokemon being discovered and such.
I would probably only buy a pokemon MMORPG if it was based on the Red/blue/yellow versions or possibly the silver/gold versions (Jhoto or whatever they call it).

(Sorry for double posting, i just thought it would be more appropriate to say this in a seperate post.)

As long as a game has story modes to things you can do. Like for example you pointed out working for team rocket. Thats cool idea! As long as there's a point to it. For example, starting off a apprentice type quests then advancing in ranks while doing "jobs" for team rocket. Unlike some MMO's that make you do tedious and stupid things :/ that really have no point to it.

I completely agree with your 2nd post, thats when started to lose interest. Red/Blue/Yellow were THE BEST turn-based RPGs I have ever played in my life. I seriously loved it. Then all the stupid names and wierd looking pokemon with no real creativity to them. Keeping the same 151 pokemon and adapting the story/extending it would have been cool.

Added on to the Team rocket thing... there could be different paths you choose kinda like the factions/class choice you have in WoW.

With each Class/Faction having a Unique and interesting storyline, with their own unique bonus features (eg team rocket have the ability to steal pokemon or something like that) - with a few more features added onto the idea the path you choose.

With the storylines, the problem will be having too many people doing the mission that you are, and getting in the way. This is where the idea of an instance comes in (A place you can enter, where only you and people in your group will be the only real people in the area.)

Its hard to explain what i mean, ill give an example:
You and a friend decide to team up for a storyline quest so you both enter a group/party. Your both team rocket apprentices and you get a mission off your boss in which you have to steal some rare pokemon from a parade that will be held in a certain area of viridian city.

So you both head off to to viridian city and once you arrive at the specific area in which the parade is to be held you will be prompted or asked if you would like to begin the storyline quest here.

Once choosing yes, a cutscene of the storyline/mission will "appear" and the entire area in which the parade is being held will become an instance and you will begin the mission -

By instance i mean this:

Only you and those in your group will be in the area doing the storyline mission, you will be in your own seperate place so no one gets in the way with what your doing, and everyone can get along with the storyline missions without being interrupted by others who are doing the same part of the storyline as you. (so basically everyone can still be doing that storyline mission, except in there own seperate world, at the same time).

Sorry if all that confuses you, its really hard to explain what im saying.

Last edited:
I think I'd play it ! And I havent played a pokemon game since pokemon yellow!

I do agree though! All the newer pokemon ( not the 150 originals ) are crazy ! I only watched the first expansion a few times ( on tv ) but than I got sick of it. All those new pokemons! I just felt they were milkin the serie!

There's been discussion of a Pokemon MMO for as long as I can remember. The game is perfect for it, but the problem is Nintendo is a real snail when it comes to catching up to the rest of the world in online capabilities. Yes WoW is dominating right now, but that's on the PC. There's little to no competition on the console markets, and besides it Pokemon even if there was competition it'd do VERY well anyway. I mean come on, it's the 4th generation of pokemon and they've changed so very little about the game, yet people STILL buy it by the millions.

I doubt they'd do anything with monthly fees, all the other online games for Wii, DS, and PS2 and PSP and PS3 are free, I really don't think they'd make you pay to play one game and not all the others.

I know that Pokemon Farm or something is coming on WiiWare but not sure what kind of game it is exactly.

A Pokemon MMO would probably be good though.

Only MMO that i play is Guild Wars, it has lots of quests, seasonal events and best of all no fees to play!

Honestly, if they made a Diamond/Pearl-like game for Wii I would be happier than with a MMORPG. MMORPG=Animal Crossing IMO not pokemon, and it would also be cool to give you the option to actually fight as the pokemon, like a kingdom hearts type fight once you get into a random battle.

Back