Analog Stick on Nunchuk Turning Yellow

Sounds like a chemical reaction to sweat. I'd suggest looking into some dyes. However doing that would require dis-assembly since most plastic and rubber dyes require boiling. Those who are truly annoyed by this dis-colorization can check out some plastic/rubber dyes for RC modification.

I've seen this done for CD-ROM's and others, but becareful, the temperature of the solution has to be perfect and best performed by "dipping" the substance to prevent warping. It's tricky at best. :|

I would not recommend bleaching rubber (if it's in fact rubber) as there is also a chemical reaction, which the end result of the material dissolving and flaking off after routine bleaching and use. This all depends on the type of material that is used as well no matter what solution is applied.

Its just gonna happen anyway, its from your natural skin rubbing on it a lot, not sweat(but sweat doesn't help it anyway) just get used to it, be a man

hmm I dont really care, and why the hell would Nintendo go and solve this problem....because its not theirs? Well all I have to say is I dont care is my nunchuck stick is turning yellow its goind to happen....eventually

LilWiWii said:
Its just gonna happen anyway, its from your natural skin rubbing on it a lot, not sweat(but sweat doesn't help it anyway) just get used to it, be a man
nuff said

didnt read all the replies, so im not sure if it was said.

what about a thin round sticky thing to put over the stick. something thats removable and cheap to make. they could be bought in packs of 10 or some other number.

LilWiiWii said:
Yes, it could be that as well. Hard to say since I don't have any sort of example other than a pictorial imagination. :)

Take for instance my keyboard, as it is not even a year old however the key's black plastic surface has been "sanded" smooth by excessive usage. lol

If it bothers you that much, and Nintendo won't replace it - then maybe just replace it and put the discolored up for a backup. Sure you may find it ugly but it works, and nice to have a backup as well - just in case. :)

ewww freaking nasty!
wash your grubby frickin hands! lol
sheesh I work on cars and with dirty auto parts all day and mine are nice and white. darn kids and their oily hands, I'll have to keep my nephew away from my wii now ;)

you should use rubbing alcohol to clean them with a q tip though, then find a small amount of rubber safe protectant for say a dash board, NOT ARMORALL (that actually ruins rubber overtime), but a silicone, but use VERY VERY small amounts on a qtip don't just go nuts and spray it down. pat off with a cloth so your thumb stick is not all slick or just let it air dry for a bit.
rubbing alcohol is safe on electronics, ie what Nintendo recommended for cleaning the og NES carts off with, and I use it all the time on ECU's and ECM's and such, just don't have voltage going through it and don't go overboard.

oh ya if that doesn't work try small amounts of a product they sell at the home depot known as Krud Kutter
takes all sorts of yellowing nastiness off car bumpers that have been sitting out in the elements with no clear coat.

I would not use bleach on the rubber personally, it's way to abrasive on rubber

LevesqueIsKing said:
^How could they fix it? Obviously they wouldn't change the color of the analog stick, and it has to still be rubber, doesn't it?
i dont really know, i never did chemistry. They probably add some sort of special chemical or oil or w/e.

And the D-Pad is made out of rubber, not plastic. The rest of the buttons(A,B,1,2 etc) are all made of plastic.

blankconnection said:
hmm I dont really care, and why the hell would Nintendo go and solve this problem....because its not theirs? Well all I have to say is I dont care is my nunchuck stick is turning yellow its goind to happen....eventually

they cared, they are just watching people rant about it and rolling around on the office floors laughing, they made anti yellowing sticks long ago and just want to torture us all :ciappa:

Did not read it all, but out of curiousity do you have smokers in your house? My friend had a super nintendo that got a yellowish tinge, he thinks its from being at his moms house who is a smoker.

Back