another 'my wii looks crap on my hd tv' thread

Chute

very low idiot tolerance
Aug 18, 2007
oxford
At work we bought a wii and lcd tv for the office, the res is 1366x768. it's a 50hz Tecknika unit bought from Tesco. not sure if it's i or p

Now, this isnt about the graphics ability of the wii, I have one at home connected to a 36 inch CRT television and it looks great. I did buy the RGB cables and that improved it again a bit.

The problem is that compared to mine at home, the one at work look terrible. Small text, especially when browsing the web is almost unreadable. I took my RGB cable in today to try it and that gave no improvement at all. The effect is kind of like when you try and feed your PC's tft with something other than the native resolution of the monitor, ie, some pixels fatten and others get thinned down. Hopefully that makes sense to someone.

I've been through the menu on the TV and can't find anything obvious in the settings to tinker with like 'input resolution' or anything like that.

Ideas anyone?

There's an option in your Wii settings for 480i or 480p. Make sure you're using p. Other than that, there's not much you can do. LCD screens are fixed resolution. It has to scale anything that doesn't fit its resolution. Unfortunately, some TVs' scalers are better than others. You might be able to run it through a TV card to a PC and then out to the TV through a VGA connector but I think the lag would kill you there.

cheers hal, I'll check that tomorrow. I did have a look at the wii settings but I cant remember a ' p/i' option...

right...

out of the 3 settings 50hz ???i, 60hz???i and EDHD TV, the bottom (HD) box is greyed out and I can't select it. the other 2 settings give the same crap result.

it's set to 16:9

ideas?

Ahh. Tesco should've given it away earlier. You're in the UK aren't you? Your menus will be slightly different in this regard. Unfortunately, I don't know why the HD would be greyed out or what the difference between EDHD and HD is. 50hz and 60hz are probably PAL and NTSC, respectively. I imagine your LCD TV treats them both pretty much the same so I'm not surprised you don't see a difference there.

I read (on another forum, shock horror) that unless I have the component cable plugged in the HD option will be greyed out, so I'll be taking my RGB lead back to work tomorrow and trying that out.

edit: yep, UK here.

the RGB lead and switching to 480p fixed it. Thank you all for your help.

hal2814 said:
Ahh. Tesco should've given it away earlier. You're in the UK aren't you? Your menus will be slightly different in this regard. Unfortunately, I don't know why the HD would be greyed out or what the difference between EDHD and HD is. 50hz and 60hz are probably PAL and NTSC, respectively. I imagine your LCD TV treats them both pretty much the same so I'm not surprised you don't see a difference there.

typically ED is 480p and HD is 720p+. You may see/hear of companies touting "True HD", which is 1080p.

Back