another new guy with lots of questions

santa

WiiChat Member
Oct 23, 2009
west virginia
Wii Online Code
1234-1234-1234-1234
Hi everyone, early morning in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. It's time to play Santa once again. My wife has shown interest in the new Wii for us as well as the kids and grandkids but I am confused about several things, hopefully "the in the know folks can help." 1. Does the new Wii console play other games as well as the Wii fit plus that my wife is so interested in? 2. Is there a site that I can view the connections of the Wii? 3. What kind of controllers do I need to make this new experience more fun? We have HDTV as well as home theater so I would like to take advantage of our equipment. We are not gamers but who knows what lurks around the next corner. All comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks:yikes:

Well Santa first things first.
1.HP Compac Laptop Thats all Im saying on that matter.(my xmas list).

The Wii plays Wii games of course there are hundreds from Aliens to Balloon popping.
It also plays the Gamecube games. The Wii Shop channels sells games you can download although personally I think they stink except for Tetris.
You can get tons of different games.
Personally I have never played videos. I am an adult yes... I bought a wii and Super Smash Brothers Brawl and was hooked. So try renting games first at 50.00 a game to buy if you hate it well..
The Wii Mot is needed to start all games and to go through the menu.
You can choose to use a gamecube controller to play or with an adapter Playstation controller and soon X-box. Theres even an adapter to use the old SNES ones.
You will find many others: guns for shooting, golf club for golf games, bats for baseball games etc.

Edit: Go to the Nintendo Channel on the Wii. Watch the videos of the games Wii offers. That helps to see if you may be interested.
Playing online is fun. Each game is different unfortunately Wii games online are limited.
Mario Kart is a good one. Again the bad part is 4 people cant play online on the same Wii.
You dont need to with 4 people though. In brawl 3 people can play on the same wii but there must be a 4th person on a different Wii at same time (with friends). If you shop at Walmart look at their Wii games section to see whats available.
To play online you need high speed dsl/cable internet and a wireless router. The Wii has a built in Wifi adapter. Or you can hard wire it via ethernet cord and a lan adapter. Your Wii manual is very easy to understand and has easy and clear instructions.
Theres also a new Poker game out. Like music? Check out the Rock Band stuff. You can play guitar or drums along with it or god forbid SING lol.

Working on a list for Santa
Kckas

Last edited:
1. Does the new Wii console play other games as well as the Wii fit plus that my wife is so interested in?
If it has Wii on the box, it shall play it
(Also GameCube games)
For advice on games check out a few threads in the sites gaming section.
3. What kind of controllers do I need to make this new experience more fun?
Mostly all you will need are Wiimotes and that little add-on called a "nunchuk"
Unless you want to try some WiiWare games, Virtual Consoleand GameCube games in witch case a Classic controller is needed for the first two and a Gamecube controller (and Game Cube memory card) for the other one
We have HDTV as well as home theater so I would like to take advantage of our equipment.[/QUOTE]There are a few threads about this on the Hardware section.
I tend to use a Wii VGA cable to play mine on.
But the Wii dose not have full HD

Thanks for the info.

It seems (just like home theater) that I have a lot to learn. "Santa" wants to make the family happy and Wii sounds like the way to do it. I am concerned that after a while the Wii fitplus will become somewhat boring but who knows. My wife plays the same dvd exercise workouts and gets results so maybe..... The other concern is will I enjoy the gaming side of things. I am curious about some of the new auto racing and soccer games being released (don't know if they even work on Wii) and the whole idea is to keep things fun for us as well as our kids and grand kids. Maybe playing on line with them would be fun but am confused about how to accomplish it.
It sounds like I need two identical systems with controllers to get started. Sounds expensive but buying used could be an option (any fears about used, outdated etc.?) Got my eye on a Marantz SR-6003 AVR so I guess "Santa" can't say much about "to expensive" but that is another story for another time.
Really appreciate all the help and thanks, post your wish list and you never know when "Santa" will come through with at least some of you dreams.
"My Wii wish list is as follows": this is where all are invited to dream big, let's see what you've got you heart set on.

Last edited:
You only need one Wii and a max of four Wiimotes/nunchuck addons.

Wiifit is for two people so if you both want to play you need two of the balance boards

Back