I agree with Rach. Religion = war.

It's one catalyst.

However:

Politics = War
Race = War
Geography = War
Bugs Bunny vs. Daffy = War
Me vs. Red Envelope = War

Weren't a significant number of our major modern conflicts a result of the first 3?

Not specifically towards you Celeste:

I think it's become chic to denounce organized religion. Among the net-fabulous Y and Z gen-ers, it's cool to be an athiest because in so many minds that means anti-conservative, anti-Republican.

[yikes, edit for horrific spelling]

Last edited:
[DT] said:
Not specifically towards you Celeste:

I think it's become chic to denounce organized religion. Among the net-fabulous Y and Z gen-ers, it's cool to be an athiest because in so many minds that means anti-conservative, anti-Republican.

[yikes, edit for horrific spelling]
It's insulting that you attribute athiesm in young people to being "trendy" and/or liberal.
I've been an athiest since age 13. It isn't exactly a decision supported by the majority of my family. It wasn't influenced by anything other than personal events, then subsequent questioning and analysis of the fables and propaganda that had been fed to me at church.

I know you weren't specifically talking about me, but...yeah. Some of us actually think for ourselves.

I used to be a Muslim. Not for years though

I am still friends with lots of Muslims

Celeste said:
I've been an athiest since age 13. It isn't exactly a decision supported by the majority of my family. It wasn't influenced by anything other than personal events, then subsequent questioning and analysis of the fables and propaganda that had been fed to me at church.

I know you weren't specifically talking about me, but...yeah. Some of us actually think for ourselves.

Relax :)

This part was really well executed - you established your postion, supported it with facts, some peripheral anecdotal bits, and were only mildly sarcastic, through the use of inflective italics.

I thought it was well delivered!

Celeste said:
It's insulting that you attribute athiesm in young people to being "trendy" and/or liberal.

You shouldn't be insulted by what I stand by as an accurate assessment of some athiests. Are you suggesting that people (in particular the younger demographic) aren't driven to certain social, political and religious tendacies by their perception of current trends? Really, from your posts I know you are much smarter than that.

I stand by what I said *because* I see many younger folks toss down that label in conjuction with political and social dispositions that plug into a characticture. They're not as thoughtful as you, they're assuming a contrived position. I did it too when I was young. In fact, I haven't really even indicated in any of these religious topics my position (which might surprise you given this thread).

Merry Xmas :)

In all out reality christmas isnt even about christ! I when i find it will post but it even says in one of the scriptures that he(Christ) didn't want us to celebrate his birth, he said it was unimportant, but celebrate his death, and his sacrafice.

Then if you ask the majority of americans what they think christmas is about and you will get the awnser gift giving and santa clause, and missletoe, all of which has nothing to do with christianity. As a matter of fact december wasent even a month till i think it was augustus that made that month and august after himself. If i am correct i think i read that christ was born in the summer season.

Like i said all religions play into each other, and in each is a little truth that holds the awnser to the real true religion, but is misinterpeted, misunderstood, missled by political, racial, financial, and power hungry people.(the devils playground).

Thats why i don't down anothers religion but learn from it, and use what i learn to stregnthen my own faith. But what i don't understand is how people can believe that there is nothing after this and nothing created you, and that we just evolved to thinking creatures, from some big blast in the sky. Just think where do we get the knowledge to build wii's and 360's and hd tvs and computers all from rocks,dirt, metal, water and air? I believe that if it was just that simple dogs, cats, and other animals would be making tvs' and other forms of tech.(not downing any one that doesnt believe just don't understand)

I know one of the big arguments is that if it was a god how can all these bad things happen, well my awnser to that and belief to that is how do you know something is good if you havent experienced bad. How can you appreciate the things you made it through, if you never went through it? Its just like the phrase what doesnt kill you can only make you stronger. How can i appreciate life if it wasnt for me knowing i will die?

Just something to think about.

BrandonMcAuslan said:
SurfinRach I find your views extremly unsettling..! :frown2:

"Southpark" is a tremendous show! why not watch it? I insist you should watch some southpark!? (The later series are a lot funnier than the original one's) - (Especially the episode where Cartman forms a Christian Rock group)! :thumbsup:

Lmao!

I have seen a few lol, but I don't make a point to watch every single episode ever lol.

yungblood6 said:
In all out reality christmas isnt even about christ! I when i find it will post but it even says in one of the scriptures that he(Christ) didn't want us to celebrate his birth, he said it was unimportant, but celebrate his death, and his sacrafice.
Didn't know he said that.

Then if you ask the majority of americans what they think christmas is about and you will get the awnser gift giving and santa clause, and missletoe, all of which has nothing to do with christianity. As a matter of fact december wasent even a month till i think it was augustus that made that month and august after himself. If i am correct i think i read that christ was born in the summer season.
I heard that he was born in September. Of course, it wasn't december that didn't exist, it was July and August (think about it, sept means 7, oct means 8 and dec means 10).

Like i said all religions play into each other, and in each is a little truth that holds the awnser to the real true religion, but is misinterpeted, misunderstood, missled by political, racial, financial, and power hungry people.(the devils playground).
True, but that's including people of your own faith. In the end, how do you decide what's the true religion and what's mans/the devil's meddling?

Thats why i don't down anothers religion but learn from it, and use what i learn to stregnthen my own faith. But what i don't understand is how people can believe that there is nothing after this and nothing created you, and that we just evolved to thinking creatures, from some big blast in the sky. Just think where do we get the knowledge to build wii's and 360's and hd tvs and computers all from rocks,dirt, metal, water and air? I believe that if it was just that simple dogs, cats, and other animals would be making tvs' and other forms of tech.(not downing any one that doesnt believe just don't understand)
Well, it's kind of a moot point really. Aethiests like myself believe that life evolved and then evolved to the point whereby we had higher levels of intelligence (like building tools to do what we can't). Perhaps our intelligence stems from communicating through more complex language than the id would give. And how did we get here? I don't see "big explosion" as any more unbelieveable as "God made us". And the lack of life after death - It's just simple logic really. If you're dead, you cannot feel (because the brain doesn't work), you cannot process, you cannot think, but more over you cannot realise that you're not doing those things. To some that would seem cold and scary, but to me, it more represents eternal peace. Well, this applies to the body at least (and I personally don't believe in the concept of the "soul").

I know one of the big arguments is that if it was a god how can all these bad things happen, well my awnser to that and belief to that is how do you know something is good if you havent experienced bad. How can you appreciate the things you made it through, if you never went through it? Its just like the phrase what doesnt kill you can only make you stronger. How can i appreciate life if it wasnt for me knowing i will die?
Why do we need "good" and "bad" in the first place? Surely those would be created for a reason beyond them simply being created. And it's not good to focus on the reasoning being that "if it didn't...". It's a mystery to everyone really, other than people who think they truely know the answer (and being a smart-ass, I think it's basically concepts surrounding control. Nothing is inherrently bad or good, it's just either controllable or uncontrollable - take for example, we would consider discipline good and anarchy bad, simply for the fact that we have no/control over it, but more importantly, over them. In the end though, everything has consequences and everything has positive outcomes, so good and bad are neither linked to the action, nor the intention, as neither could be fully calculated to have specifically positive or negative effects, and even then, it comes down to control (note, not power. Power and control can be two seperate things - you can have power without control)).

Last edited:
Celeste said:
I grew up in a half Christian (Russian Orthadox), half Muslim family.
...Kinda random, amirite?
I'm an athiest...we still celebrate Eid and Christmas though. I love giving/receiving presents. Presents FTMFW =]
I agree with Rach. Religion = war.
Dudet! I was a Muslim too, I think we went over this in another thread, turned Atheist and hiding it from my family. Eid's this Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. We're doing it on a Thursday because nobody can make a set date. Hooray for free money!

I'm muslim, Eid tomorrow! :) I don't actually care too much about Eid, but I do go the Mosque when it's Eid... only then. So I'm not a very strict muslim... Kinda Athiest to be honest...
But yea, I like Christmas, it's really fun and lot's of family come round which I LOVE! Didn't get a Christmas tree this year though, was supposed to go Christmas shopping, but my card didn't work :( So I have to go like... Thursday. This is gonna be the first time I'll be using my own money... I LOVE christmas shopping! Getting brother a game (Metroid Prime 3 probably) daddy some aftershave, mummy some perfume... Have £100 to spend though, not sure if I'll have enough, never realised how expensive things were.

Nope im jewish, weird thread though...

The actual date of jesus' birth is not know, but they believe it to be in march of 6 B.C. And with Christmas I think It was in like 320 A.D. Pope Julius the first decided we would celebrate his birthday on the 25th of December.

Spiderking13 said:
The actual date of jesus' birth is not know, but they believe it to be in march of 6 B.C. And with Christmas I think It was in like 320 A.D. Pope Julius the first decided we would celebrate his birthday on the 25th of December.
Ya the only reason christmas is in december is because when the Roman Catholic Church joined the Pagan germanic tribes, they wanted to have their holidays in the church as well (Pagan winter soulstice for example) which we now call christmas

Wamoo said:
Ya the only reason christmas is in december is because when the Roman Catholic Church joined the Pagan germanic tribes, they wanted to have their holidays in the church as well (Pagan winter soulstice for example) which we now call christmas
Yep, I know, thats why I posted it. I am Catholic by the way.

Eid Mubarak RadNad and Celestial =)
Did/are you guys do anything? I just got home from it all since I need to work at 6 >.>

Back