Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Any Updates on Wii Remote for point & shoot?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Chat' started by Kainan, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Kainan

Kainan WiiChat Member

I was very disappointed when I found out how the pointer worked with the wii remote. I assumed since the laser technology has been used so many times even in very VERY old systems that they would use something similar for pointing with the wii remote. I AT LEAST expected some sort of calibration that you could do so it would have an idea of where you are pointing. I almost bought a gun controller for the gun games but I sure am glad that I didn't!! Who wants to stare down a gun site at the floor or a foot below the TV to shoot something that is half way up the screen? I HOPE they come up with an update to help with this. The wii remote is useless for old fashion shooting games and now I've lost my hope that we would get a Time Crisis type game for the wii because it just wouldn't be the same when you don't point at what you are trying to shoot. Anyone know of news about changing this up ? I made mine a little better by stacking a ton of CDs and/or DVDs in front of my tv so the remote sensor is absolutely as close to the bottom of the screen as you can get without covering part of the picture. The only thing is that this looks horrible when I have company.

2. bonodo

bonodo Wicked Hot Lush Lips

Wii Friend Code: 1262-1897-0166-8568
    1262-1897-0166-8568
    get a sensor bar stand

3. Brownies

Brownies \\Slash Bros.//

Wii Friend Code: 2970-3563-4519-6293
    2970-3563-4519-6293
    to me it seem's like u screwed something up, example u put ur sensor bar on top of ur tv but in ur options its set for under the tv thats all i can thionk off since mine works perfectly fine

4. CantGetAWii

CantGetAWii WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 3099-0319-5478-2979
    3099-0319-5478-2979
    Point and shoot works fine for me.
    I didn't understand what you were getting at there.

5. paintba||er

paintba||er WiiChat Member

Mormonville, Utah XBL GamerTag: sheise PSNID: s
    Wii Friend Code: 8354-0173-2009-5422
    8354-0173-2009-5422
    Eh, its fine as long as all the games have cursors. If there was one without a cursor, then that would suck ass.....

6. swoop_ds

swoop_ds WiiChat Member

I agree with paintballer. Unless everything is perfectly setup, if you didn't have a cursor you'd be screwed. But all games do and in my opinion the wiimote beats all other controllers for 'shooting' except a mouse hands down.

7. ericlewis91

ericlewis91 im McLovin

Wii Friend Code: 6031-8713-1077-8188
    6031-8713-1077-8188
    well in the sims 2 pets..the menus have no cursors so its so confusing

8. daviduk200

daviduk200 The XBOX 360 Guy

Wii Friend Code: 0000-0000-0000-0000
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    i understand fine, i mean as easy as i find shooters on wii and how much i love em thats because im used to it, hell im even doin this on my wii. but in order to get the curser to bottom or top of screen iv got to point about a foot up or down. if you stick a laser pen to your remote you can tell its no pointin where u r actually pointing,

the best you can get it is if u r about 3 meters away from screen n sensor bar is in very good position,

p.s i love typing using wii because you get cool symbols (tell me if u can get them on pc aswell and how thnx)

>»»»◎☆○◇□△←→↑↓♪ζδλξφψΘΞΛΣΠΦΨΩΥΏ«»¿‘«««<

u like?

9. paintba||er

8354-0173-2009-5422
    You can type them on computers too.
    `¡™£¢∞§¶•ªº–≠œ∑´®†¥¨ˆøπ“‘«åß∂ƒ©˙∆˚¬…æΩ≈ç√∫˜µ≤≥÷`⁄€‹›fifl‡°·‚—±Œ„´‰ˇÁ¨ˆØ∏”’»ÅÍÎÏ˝ÓÔÒÚƸ˛Ç◊ı˜Â¯˘ΓΔΘΛΞΠΦΨαβδζεηθλξϑϒϖ➌④ÞðӜҜԈЉЋ̽͌͠طٶٲىٿڂקכן֩֡ぎずせグᄒㄝᡊᡍᡖ⿲⿻꒳꒰꓃꒽꒠รส¿

10. bubs

bubs WiiChat Member

This guy is on crack, my wiimote aims where i point it... the newb probably has the sensor at th ebottom of his screen or didnt bother checking the settings for sensor bar position in the options.

11. Kainan

Kainan WiiChat Member

1. Yes, I'm new to the Wii or I wouldn't be asking the question. Very intelligent of you to figure that one out. I bet you were great with your ABCs last year and building blocks too!!
    2. Nope, not on crack but I'm assuming if I wanted some that you would be my contact after reading some of your posts.
    3. Yes, I have a high enough intelligence to read the directions (mommy didnt' have to read them to me like someone else here... *cough... bubs :yikes: *)

For those of you who wish to actually help or give input of value here is what I can tell you.

I have the sensor bar on its stand and I even have the stand on top of some CD cases to raise it to the very bottom edge of the viewing portion of the TV. Part of the problem could be the size of my TV. I have a 55" HDTV. My point and question in the post was about the way the remote works. The pointing of the Wii remote does not work like a light source as I expected. Due to this Nintendo needs to have a calibration or something to help adjust for wherever someone puts the sensor bar AND the size of their TV. I just thought I would check this forum just in case someone with intelligence had any other ideas. Hmmmm...

12. WiiBad

WiiBad Member of Wiichat

This is strange, I too have never had any problems with the pointer and in my opinion the Wiimote is very precise. My sensor has always been on top of the tv though, you might try yours on top. Also, it sounds like your syncing is off. Have you tried resyncing your remote with your Wii in settings with the two dots and everything? Once you get things right, there really is no reason to have to resort to rigging things up around the tv to make it work better. The Wii is much better than this.

13. Bigjake52

Bigjake52 Wii fan Boy till the end

Wii Friend Code: 3449-8056-9185-4637
    3449-8056-9185-4637
    why dont you make one that is long enuff there are lots of plans on google. or have a dark room and light to candles by the tv that works 2

14. Kainan

Kainan WiiChat Member

Thanks for the input guys. I'll see if I can manage to get the sensor on top of the TV. I'm so surprised I'm having this much trouble. From 7' back I have to point the remote (both of them) a good foot too low if I were to measure with a light pen pointing at the TV. I did do the reset buttons with both remotes. One problem is that I have a big center channel speaker above my TV. This takes a stand to hold it up and brace it on the TV since the TV is pretty thin. Anyway, I might can fit it between the lip of the stand and the speaker. It is encouraging that you guys haven't had any problems. How big are your TVs? Just curious if it could have anything to do with it.

15. WiiBad

WiiBad Member of Wiichat

Mine is only 20", and is also a very thin lcd. I doubt the size has anything to do with it but is possible. If so, it would seem that a third party such as Nyko or something would have already thought to put a larger sensor bar on the market. Have you tried the syncing in Wii settings with the two dots that you move around on the tv screen? This makes things pretty precise.

16. LilWiiWii

LilWiiWii WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 8012-6169-7562-1411
    8012-6169-7562-1411
    Hmm.. i kinda know what your talking about..like the remote supposed to be perfect with where you are aiming it at the tv..and I gotta tell you..unless your setup is wrong, its pretty damn close to it..just mess around with your sensorbar

17. paintba||er

8354-0173-2009-5422
    It won't be very close in most cases, since the spot where you would need to point for it to be accurate changes with your TV size, but the sensor bar is always the same. For example, if you got a 100" projection screen it would be very very inaccurate. You would still have to move your arm the same amount to get the pointer at the corner of the 100" screen as you would a 10" screen. So you would still be pointing relatively close to the center of a 100" screen to get the pointer at the far side of the screen.

18. Wiinter

Wiinter Audentes fortuna iuvat

Wii Friend Code: 8745-5143-2651-5351
    8745-5143-2651-5351
    I actually have my sensor bar above my TV with the settings believing it's below. This allows me aim the wiimote a little higher than a lightgun would require, and prop my arms comfortably. I'm not looking where I point my wiimote, I'm looking where the aiming reticule is, so any difference doesn't bother me.

Only if you're standing the same distance away from the IR sources in both cases, which seems unlikely. Some combination of altering the distance between the two IR sources and/or the distance between you and the IR sources would yield the similar levels of accuracy in both cases.

Software calibration would be nice. I'd be happy if a lot more about the wii controls were customizable.

Probably your best bet would be to visit avs' Nintendo subforum. They did some sensor bar mods for people with front projection tvs. I wouldn't be surprised if this has come up there.

But the poor man's solution is above. Distance between your and the sensor bar, and between the sensor bar's two ir sources will change how the wii remote transmits its pointer position.

As a quick primer (perhaps you already know this), the sensor bar doesn't sense anything, it simply has infrared leds on both sides (5 leds on each side, to provide some side-view--if it were a single led, you'd have to be dead on in front of it) powered by the wii (it could just as easily be powered with a DC converter or a battery, both mods exist already). The Wii remote has an infrared camera that detects both sources, then the chip plots them, translates that into positional data and sends it to the Wii via bluetooth.

You could unplug the sensor bar, get two candles (also an IR source), and play around with different distances--both between the two ir sources and between the wiimote and the ir sources--to find something ideal. Once you had it, there are plenty of DIY sensor bar specs that you could alter to your own specs. Someone else (who actually recalls high school trig) may have already come up with a spreadsheet that has ideal settings, and that forum above may know more. Good luck. Let us know if you come up with anything interesting.

19. paintba||er

8354-0173-2009-5422
    Ya, you could just lengthen the sensor bar or adjust your distance from it, but that still doesn't really change much. A game without a cursor would work very poorly on the Wii. It would be fun to play games similar to Duck Hunt where you have to try to point accurately without a cursor. But that would never work on the Wii.

20. billcsho

billcsho WiiChat Member

I have partly solved this problem by my homemade sensor cubes. Read the bottom part of my report here.
    Theoretically, disregarding the position and the length of the sensor bar, the aiming position of the WiiMote and the onscreen cursor can be calibrated in the program. I guess there may be a game with that feature when the Zapper is released.