Anyone having problem with rechargeable batteries with Wii remote?

winterheat

WiiChat Member
Feb 6, 2011
My problem is with the Wii remote when playing Mario Kart. About 1 out of 15 times, when I drift LEFT, it actually drift RIGHT. I would then look at the position of my Wii Wheel and it is TOTALLY tilted LEFT (at about 45 degree LEFT).

So one time I was using 1.5V Duracell and the problem never happened. But at the same time, I am wondering if it is the "switches" inside the Wii remote that has some mercury and it divided into 2 or 3 droplets and therefore misled the console whether it is LEFT or RIGHT.

Any body had that same issue? I am also trying 1.5V Duracell Lithium to see if they work really well, but the problem happened one time during the game I just played as well.

What about shaking the Wii remote / Wheel as if you are shaking off some water off from your hands, so that the mercury will "merge" together, or any other trick to make it work?

Last edited:
the manual says alkaline only, lots of people use other batteries.

i think this is a case of accelarometers (sp?) out of whack. try this:

turn wiimote off

hold it sideways and gently 'whack' it on table 3 times

resync wiimote

that should work. just reset your controller. I myself never had a problem with rechargeable batteries. they even started making for the wii. but it sound like your controller may be going bad, or you need to reset it.

I've used rechargables for the WiiMote for about two months with no problems, seem to last longer than normal ones....JMO

Are you guys on about rechargeable AA batteries.....

Best for your pocket...try:
Get your self a charging station complete with rechargeable battery packs that is powered from the Wii's usb ports (or any usb port infact, meaning you can charge the battery pack(s) while checking your wiichat account on your pc) :D

I am wondering if it is the "switches" inside the Wii remote that has some mercury and it divided into 2 or 3 droplets and therefore misled the console whether it is LEFT or RIGHT.

The Wii remotes don't use mercury tilt switches but use digital accelerometers instead which just look like any ordinary microchip on the circuit board.

I have a problem with one of them eating regular batteries with it just sitting off. My newest one works perfectly. Idk if it's my original or one of the others I bought. I'll have to try the "whacking" method :p to reset.

I have been using rechargeable batteries since day one on my Wii (got it the day it came out) and haven't had a problem. The problem could be your batteries, but it's really hard to tell. I am using Sanyo Eneloops and they work great.

Back