Anyone listen to Podcasts? Cause they sure diss the Wii a lot..

thanks for keeping this thread flame free and intelligent so far guys.

No problems mate, We need more threads with a bit of structure to them not just 7 year old noobs saying, OMG TEH WII ROXHORZ MY SOCKS, NOW TELL ME WHICH GAME TO buy. Oh and i will add that podcast the the list i posted.

ciper said:
Partially true I have to admit but one of the big differences is that the Wii was outdated before it was released. Its cpu is estimated to only be 180% the speed of the gamecube.

Woop Dee Doodle Doo.

ciper said:
The wii is catching the 360? I don't particularly like the XBox and I know that just isn't right. Number of consoles sold is not a good measurement for the health of the system. Compare software sales over a specific amount of time and Ill change my mind.

You are right that Devs are in it for the money.... except they don't care about the outcome of the war. They can switch sides at any time if the market sours.

If Nintendo sold 80 000 000 consoles and 40 000 000 of those Wii owners never buy another game apart from Wii Sports, they will still be happy, they've still made money.

Last edited:
Wiily Good said:
Woop Dee Doodle Doo.

If Nintendo sold 80 000 000 consoles and 40 000 000 of those Wii owners never buy another game apart from Wii Sports, they will still be happy, they've still made money.
but they will have no third party support for this console and future console, furthering the nintendo curse
then when the next nintendo console rolls around people will remember the wii and how it had no good games and not want to buy it

That didnt stop people from buying the wii did it ? The transision(spelling ?) from gamecube to wii. Dont forget the wii isnt nintendo's only system. The ds is still kicking ass all over the world

Wiily Good said:
Woop Dee Doodle Doo.
Its important because it shows the Wii is not the great value it seems to be.

Wiily Good said:
I'm not so sure. Nintendo expects to sell more than one software title and they spend money accordingly. They could potentially lose money on the deal. Its the same with the PS3 (which sells at a major loss)

cannon said:
That didnt stop people from buying the wii did it ? The transision(spelling ?) from gamecube to wii. Dont forget the wii isnt nintendo's only system. The ds is still kicking ass all over the world
MANY people buy the Wii for only two reasons -
Its the current fad
Perceived value compared to the 360 and PS3.

So who says that those same 2 reasons wont make people buy the next generation of console by nintendo ?

Because paying 260$ just to play wiisports is not a value.... Software sales for Wii are going to hell because of the lack of good games. Remakes can't sustain the system forever.

cannon said:
So who says that those same 2 reasons wont make people buy the next generation of console by nintendo ?
cause fads come and then die out

Yes but who's to say another fad by nintendo wont come along again. There may be a lack of games now but what about in 6 months or a years time ? There is no way of really knowing NOW what will happen then. Its all a waiting game.

cannon said:
Yes but who's to say another fad by nintendo wont come along again. There may be a lack of games now but what about in 6 months or a years time ? There is no way of really knowing NOW what will happen then. Its all a waiting game.
How long have you been console gaming? From your post it doesnt seem very long. Do you realize how many consoles have failed for this exact reason?!

That and "lightning rarely strikes twice in the same place" which it already has with the Wii and DS fad. I will bet you any amount of money it won't happen again if the Wii doesnt do well.

One of my first posts here was about a podcast dissing the Wii. FYI.

ciper said:
The wii is catching the 360? I don't particularly like the XBox and I know that just isn't right. Number of consoles sold is not a good measurement for the health of the system. Compare software sales over a specific amount of time and Ill change my mind.

You are right that Devs are in it for the money.... except they don't care about the outcome of the war. They can switch sides at any time if the market sours.

If you're willing to compare software sales "at this point in the system's lifespan", that would be a decent measurement to put alongside console sales (which are important as a 3rd party dev lure as the installed user base). I don't really know where the Wii would be on that scale, but I would be interested to know.

The Wii has already surpassed the number of 360 consoles sold at this point in the 360's lifespan. But because this came as a surprise to devs, and because many of the games they've rushed to port to market aren't saleable, much of the Wii's installed user base advantage at this point is stunted.

However 3rd parties have already reallocated resources, some have gone all Wii, others have actually started Wii Development. It'll probably be summertime next year before the consequences of that are seen. Even if Wii console sales slow before then (much as 360 sales did after a year), the Wii brand is going to have a software availability advantage that the other consoles won't, and a wider range of new software.

An advantage all the more potent because it will be an affront to expectations--people hoping for the Wii's demise are talking up the GC's 3rd party failure--and indeed, that was part of the calculus I did before buying a Wii (I didn't want a system with no games), but at this point, if the Wii fails, it won't be for lack of 3rd party devs. That behemoth ship has already turned, and it's not going to turn back before having at least one great Wii cycle. Too little too late? I don't think so (thus the reason I bought in), but we'll see.

Wiinter said:
If you're willing to compare software sales "at this point in the system's lifespan"
Thats what I meant.

because many of the games they've rushed to port to market aren't saleable, much of the Wii's installed user base advantage at this point is stunted.
I agree

However 3rd parties have already reallocated resources, some have gone all Wii, others have actually started Wii Development. It'll probably be summertime next year before the consequences of that are seen.
Third parties could just as easily switch away from the Wii if they see a problem. If consumers have to wait another year before the good run of games the 'love' of the Wii may turn to hatred.

Too little too late? I don't think so (thus the reason I bought in), but we'll see.
My worry is that it might be. Even if something terrible doesnt happen I know damage has already been done.

The shitty part is that I don't want things to be this way. I would rather the Wii have a good library of games right now with plenty of consoles for everyone to buy. Kill the fad aspect of it so we can get a real idea of the market.

Last edited:
ciper said:
Third parties could just as easily switch away from the Wii if they see a problem. If consumers have to wait another year before the good run of games the 'love' of the Wii may turn to hatred.

Well, "just as easily", yes. But that doesn't mean easy. Thus the behemoth ship imagery I already cited. If it were easy to (advance apologies for coming mixed metaphors) change horses in midstream, we wouldn't have software problems on the Wii right now. With many of the 3rd parties already in a situation of having invested millions and months of effort, there are a bunch of games that will come to market.

Even if console sales slow, 3rd parties aren't going to motivated to abandon all of that investment and leave half-finished products in the wastebin. For starters, as I said, x360 sales slowed after a year (and once they got some competition as well), so slowing sales won't indicate the death of the system to anyone who has money in it now.

There WILL be one great Wii dev cycle now. It will happen short of death of the technological revolution and a reversion of all cultures to hunting and gathering. The games will come to market and they will go on sale. The question of peril that still lies ahead for the Wii is not whether they can draw/keep 3rd parties that long, it's whether there will still be buyers for those games when they hit the shelves.

3rd parties could abandon ship, but they can't do so easily. It will cost them just as much to go back as it cost them to get here in the first place, and that wasn't cheap.

ciper said:
If consumers have to wait another year before the good run of games the 'love' of the Wii may turn to hatred.

I agree. The Wii couldn't have come this far without hype (due to the chicken and the egg conudrum--you need console sales to get 3rd party devs, and you need 3rd party devs to get console sales), but there is still a very-present danger to hype: expectations are rising every day, and the higher they are, the easier it is to disappoint. I don't see lack of 3rd parties causing that disappointment (as explained above, that problem has already been solved), but one thing I do see as a danger is poor online functionality. It's a standard 7th gen expectation, and if it continues to lag later like it is now, a blowback is coming.

Back