anyone try putting wii into 480p mode with composite cable?

infinkc

WiiChat Member
Nov 28, 2006
it is possible to put the wii into 480p mode without the component cable? i was thinking if the wii can switch to the 480p mode, cant you use an composite-to-svideo adapter, since 480p is the svideo res.

No, this is not possible. SVideo is only 480i (576i in PAL nations). The Wii will not let you select 480p output unless the mode pins are jumpered in the back -- one of the features of the component cable. Composite and SVideo cables carry standard NTSC (or PAL, Secam, whatever) video and cannot do the high resolution.

To correct some of your incorrect assumptions on SVideo I suggest you visit: S-Video - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So will there be a component and S-video connection to purchase?

Blipsten said:
So will there be a component and S-video connection to purchase?

You can purchase the component cable from Nintendo.com right now, it should be in stores on the 5th of December (at least in the US). No word yet on the availability of S-video cables, but the pinout information suggests this may be possible.

In all reality, most newer TVs have component input, you're better off with that anyway. The marginal gain you'll get from going to composite to S-video probably won't justify the cost.

Back