Apple Computers

NateTheGreat said:
Nice! Oh, and I just realized, I didn't put a link to the bluetooth mouse I use; here it is. I don't hate the one-button style, since holding it down will work some of the time and if it doesn't then you do a CTRL+click. I like two-button mainly for first person shooters.

i agree but like i said the only games i play on computers are rollercoaster tycoon and the sims

i LOVE how on the macbook you can put two fingers on the pad and click and that is a right click
and two fingers also scrolls witch is awesome too

id rather people make long postes because it cuts down on confusing conversation. i also started out on windows 95 even tho im 14 now that was a long time ago and i was young but i still got a feel of how it was. i also was like afraid of macs because we were all taught in schools about windows and the lack of a taskbar at the bottom was freaky to me.

but now that ive gotten hands on with os x tiger i cant wait for leopard to come out.

heres a question for you:

is the upgrade from tiger to leopard equivalant to xp-vista, or is os9-osx like xp-vista

because im not sure what they are adding/fixing on the upgrade to leopard and what can i be compared to?

Fierce Deity said:
i agree but like i said the only games i play on computers are rollercoaster tycoon and the sims

i LOVE how on the macbook you can put two fingers on the pad and click and that is a right click
and two fingers also scrolls witch is awesome too

id rather people make long postes because it cuts down on confusing conversation. i also started out on windows 95 even tho im 14 now that was a long time ago and i was young but i still got a feel of how it was. i also was like afraid of macs because we were all taught in schools about windows and the lack of a taskbar at the bottom was freaky to me.

but now that ive gotten hands on with os x tiger i cant wait for leopard to come out.

heres a question for you:

is the upgrade from tiger to leopard equivalant to xp-vista, or is os9-osx like xp-vista

because im not sure what they are adding/fixing on the upgrade to leopard and what can i be compared to?

You know what's funny? I still, on ocassion, have to boot into Windoz 95. We have an old, but strangly reliable Compaq Pissario, which now runs Puppy Linux off of a LiveCD; if you have an old PC like mine, definitly try PuppyLinux because it's about as fast as Windows 98 and it can connect to the broadband we have. I tried invain a while back to install 98, but it always sputtered to a halt, thus I tried linux and it never crashes; the PC has I think about 100MB of RAM, a 4GB harddrive and a Pentium II CPU, so it's pretty impressive to have it surfing the web at almost the speed of the Pentium 4s at my school.

Anywho, as for your questions. I would say Windows Xp-Windows Vista is pretty similar to OS9-OSX because Windoz has hardly changed their OS, even with Vista. Then again, I'm not an expert on Windows Vista, even though I took a class to become a Certified PC Technician this year in which we had to talk about nothing but tired old Windoz; sorry, but even all the Windoz lovers hated Windoz by the end of that class:lol:

As for new features in Leapord, I basicly know as much as you do right now. Apple hasn't announced a thing (once you buy your Mac and become a bit of a Mac-head, you'll see Apple is always sneaky, to a fault sometimes).

I would check out OSx86project.org, the site that really got Mac OS X running on PCs and also got Windoz running on Macs, and ThinkSecret.com, a fairly reliable rumor site, for spectulations.
I'm hoping they'll have iWork '07 standard, so we don't have to buy it, and a built in emmulator like Parallels Desktop, which allows you to run Windows or Linux in a window within Mac OS X. That's right: you can run Mac OS X, Windoz, and Linux at the same time!! I'm really hopeing Apple will take some ques from the Xgl Linux desktop; definitly check out these videos.

I'll keep an eye out for any leaked features of Leapord and post them here.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask.:)

*EDIT* Nice new signature, Fierce.:D

Last edited:
lol thanks

is there a linux software that is already developed i dont have to do anything but use it that can boot beside windows xp?

Fierce Deity said:
lol thanks

is there a linux software that is already developed i dont have to do anything but use it that can boot beside windows xp?

Yes, I would suggest Ubuntu. Now, if you're talking about the kind that were on that page I linked to, I'm not sure how to do that kind of stuff; you have to find all these extentions and plug-ins and I don't know how to do all that, but if you want something better than WindowsXp, then Ubuntu will definitly please you. If you've never used linux before, then what you need to do is go here and pick out the version you need, a.k.a download the PC (Intel) version if you have an Intel processor, or the PC (AMD64 version) if you have an AMD processor; there's also one for the non-Intel Macs but don't worry because they said they will be coming out with a version that will work on the new Intel Macs aswell as the old ones soon. Download which ever version is compatible with your computer in the Desktop CD list, so you won't actually have to install Ubuntu, but instead give it a try.

Once you've downloaded the file, a .iso file, you'll need to burn it to a disc. When I say burn, I mean use Roxio, or whatever cd burning software you use. I believe Roxio has a feature for burning data discs, which is what this essentially is.

Once burnt, restart your computer with the disc still in the drive and it should boot from the disc.

If it doesn't, then you'll have to press a specific key or two on your keyboard when your PC is booting up to bring up the boot-order list; usually you'll need to press F8 or F10. From there, you'll change the boot to your CD drive as the first place.

Now, if you have dial-up, setting up internet may be very difficult. If you have broadband, however, it shouldn't require any setup.

If this was too complicated, I'll be less specific.

Sorry, I probably should have made this a private message, but there may be others here who would like experimenting with Linux and other operating systems.

Definitly ask if you have questions.:cool:

Last edited:
NateTheGreat said:
Yes, I would suggest Ubuntu. Now, if you're talking about the kind that were on that page I linked to, I'm not sure how to do that kind of stuff; you have to find all these extentions and plug-ins and I don't know how to do all that, but if you want something better than WindowsXp, then Ubuntu will definitly please you. If you've never used linux before, then what you need to do is go here and pick out the version you need, a.k.a download the PC (Intel) version if you have an Intel processor, or the PC (AMD64 version) if you have an AMD processor; there's also one for the non-Intel Macs but don't worry because they said they will be coming out with a version that will work on the new Intel Macs aswell as the old ones soon. Download which ever version is compatible with your computer in the Desktop CD list, so you won't actually have to install Ubuntu, but instead give it a try.

Once you've downloaded the file, a .iso file, you'll need to burn it to a disc. When I say burn, I mean use Roxio, or whatever cd burning software you use. I believe Roxio has a feature for burning data discs, which is what this essentially is.

Once burnt, restart your computer with the disc still in the drive and it should boot from the disc.

If it doesn't, then you'll have to press a specific key or two on your keyboard when your PC is booting up to bring up the boot-order list; usually you'll need to press F8 or F10. From there, you'll change the boot to your CD drive as the first place.

Now, if you have dial-up, setting up internet may be very difficult. If you have broadband, however, it shouldn't require any setup.

If this was too complicated, I'll be less specific.

Sorry, I probably should have made this a private message, but there may be others here who would like experimenting with Linux and other operating systems.

Definitly ask if you have questions.:cool:

thanks and does ubuntu have duel boot feature?

When you say dual boot, if you mean you can boot it off a hard drive that also has Windoz on it, then yes.

I believe you would download from the Alternate Install list from that same page.

If you meant running Ubuntu in a window within Windoz, I'm pretty sure you can't, but you can do that with PuppyLinux, or so I've heard.

Did that make sense?

NateTheGreat said:
When you say dual boot, if you mean you can boot it off a hard drive that also has Windoz on it, then yes.

I believe you would download from the Alternate Install list from that same page.

If you meant running Ubuntu in a window within Windoz, I'm pretty sure you can't, but you can do that with PuppyLinux, or so I've heard.

Did that make sense?

yeah i mean on the same harddrive like bootcamp

Fierce Deity said:
yeah i mean on the same harddrive like bootcamp

Oh. Well, I know you can run it with Parallel's Desktop, which allows you to run it in a Window within Mac OS X, but I'm pretty sure you can partition your MacBooks hard drive and then when the creators of Ubuntu bring out their Intel-Mac version, you can run it that way.

I'm 99% sure that is possible and 100% sure it will be possible in the future because Linux and Mac have always sort of been on the same side, with Windows on the other.

You may want to search OSx86Project.org for more info on that in paticular but I'm guessing if you can use Boot Camp to boot into Windoz, there is definitly some way to boot into Linux. Seriously, I have a version of Linux running on my iPod Mini, so it's definitly possible, or will be soon if it's not already.

*EDIT* If you just meant could you install Ubuntu on your current hard drive, yes and you will still be able to boot into Windows. You'll just need to partition (or split up your hard drive into two parts: one for Windows and one for Ubuntu)

However, if you just want to try it, without having to install it, then download the version you need from the Desktop CD list and burn it to a CD and so on...

Last edited:
Fierce Deity said:
lol?

dont be hatin on me and nates DEEP conversation
hah

:lol: Darkprinny funny. :lol:

I think he's right; I said a loooooot in this thread.

This is what will happen to you when you get your Mac, Fierce.

maccult.jpg

^You in the near future.:D

Last edited:
I'm caught in the middle. I'm a PC user, but wish I had a Mac. I've used Macs before and loved it, I just don't have the money or the space. Darkprinny, PC by price is better in the numbers, but for the way it acutally runs there is no comarison. PC's slow down as their resources are used. On a PC, you know your RAM is all allocated because your system slows to a halt, on a Mac you tell because there is an error message telling you as much.

As for Linux, I use Xandros. It does support multiboot, but I havn't ever done it on the same drive (for separate drives, if you set up the xandros drive as the first boot, the first thing after POST is a boot select menu). The interface is exactly like the newest distribution of Knoppix (a really good "test" linux, as it is "live boot", meaning that it's there as long as the CD is in the drive, as soon as you take it out everything goes back to normal)

Back