Apple TV service to launch for Wii?

Rob Rymond

WiiChat Member
Jun 17, 2007
Solihull, U.K
[xFLOAT=left]http://www.wiichat.com/robry/applelwii.jpg[/xFLOAT]A gaming blog is reporting that a television service from Apple could debut on the Wii. The owner claims he has spoken to a company executive who has revealed that the service will be unveiled at the brand new E3 next month.

wiitv.jpg

And what does this possibly mean? Well if the blog spurts any truth whatsoever then you might be able to subscribe to the Apple television service via your Wii and not just an Apple telly box.

Rumour has been rife that Nintendo could start a dedicated video channel for the Wii by linking in with Youtube, however it appears Apple could be the future of video on the Wii.

We'll keep you updated when E3 arrives, but for now this is speculation!

Last edited:
really since the Wii does not have an intel processor or running OSX. I kinda doubt this announcement.

cartoonspin said:
really since the Wii does not have an intel processor or running OSX. I kinda doubt this announcement.
It is possible, it just needs to be made into a channel, I heard the before somewhere, but is was on april fools day and it happened to be a joke, I don't think there will be such a tie in though, I guess we will wait and see

Do you guys know anything about Apple TV and how it works? It's not like a Tivo were you can record and save programs. It works by syncing your videos and music (purchased from Itunes) or songs that you have added wirelessly to the Apple TV box. It does not store them on the device it self. Right now the videos are not even in HD quality. photos are the the only things that are actually saved on the system. (and look the best) I spoke with a guy at the apple store and he said right now there is now need for it until video quality is improved. I played around with it and the interface is nice but the video quality was real poor. Photos are awesome but how often are you going to look at a slide show of you pictures on your TV. Same goes for listening to music through your TV, what's the point. Connect it to your stereo! Later this summer you are going to be able to watch youtube videos. Wow big deal.

hey all, its very possible. I already have a similiar thing set-up with Orb. I can view TV on Wii via the www with no troubles, just usin the opera browser.

shout for help setting it up

ps, orb acts like a media center, and it all works with Wii..so far

Anyways so what do you do when you are a console and have absolutely nothing to offer hardcore Next-Gen gamers besides an interactive gaming experience. Well I have it on good source that Apple TV is so going to make it’s debut on the Wii. I am pretty sure I am ruining the E3 surprise by announcing this here, but seriously that is what a blog is for right? I wish I could announce who told me about this great discovery, but sadly I do not think he even knew that when he told me that it would get out. So I must keep my mouth shut for now cause I don’t know the guy, I couldn’t tell you what he looks like, but I do know he makes games at Nintendo in a executive role and accidentally spilled the beans in conversation not under any NDA what so ever.

BS. And it isn't that hard to call. If someone doesn't know how to punctuate, he doesn't know how to walk into a major scoop.

AZ_Wii_Tard said:
Do you guys know anything about Apple TV and how it works? It's not like a Tivo were you can record and save programs. It works by syncing your videos and music (purchased from Itunes) or songs that you have added wirelessly to the Apple TV box. It does not store them on the device it self. Right now the videos are not even in HD quality. photos are the the only things that are actually saved on the system. (and look the best) I spoke with a guy at the apple store and he said right now there is now need for it until video quality is improved. I played around with it and the interface is nice but the video quality was real poor. Photos are awesome but how often are you going to look at a slide show of you pictures on your TV. Same goes for listening to music through your TV, what's the point. Connect it to your stereo! Later this summer you are going to be able to watch youtube videos. Wow big deal.
You make it sound like Apple TV is an inferior product/program (standalone product/program for Wii, if it happens), it is not a horrible product, just not up to your standards

It works by syncing your videos and music (purchased from Itunes) or songs that you have added wirelessly to the Apple TV box.
Of course it syncs, I think of it as the XBOX 360 and Win XP Media Center compatibility, but instead of X360 and Win XP MCE, it's iMac/iBook/other Mac computer and Wii/Apple TV, pretty much a competitor of the X360 media center extender, and the media dosen't need to be downloaded from iTunes, it just needs to be in iTunes, you can still download music/videos from LimeWire and other P2P programs, you can just import it into iTunes for it to work with Apple TV, that is what everybody said about the iPod, that it had a block on it so you had to download all the music fom iTunes, the only protection the iPod has from pirated pusic is the sticker on the packaging saying don't steal music, and that's no protection at all, I have an iPod myself, and I proved everybody wrong that it can take music from LimeWire, I even showed people (who did not believe), all the music I have on my iPod is from LimeWire, and it was very easy to import to iTunes and sync to the iPod, no difference with Apple TV
Right now the videos are not even in HD quality.
Duh, it's not meant to be, the Wii isn't even HDTV compatible, it's EDTV compatible (480p) but HDTV (720i~1080p), and so the Apple TV is 480i (SD) only, who cares? It just means it's more perfect for the Wii, and the fact that it streams the media, that's a plus, we want to save room for VC right?
I spoke with a guy at the apple store and he said right now there is now need for it until video quality is improved.
Yeah, maybe for the standalone box, but for the Wii, it is perfect, and not all Wii owners have HD/EDTVs anyway, most still have the old CRT televisions, so HD quality video isn't worth it, if it is the quality of an internet video (youtube), then it is perfect for the Wii, the only problem with youtube on the Wii is it dosen't fill the whole screen, otherwise, even that quality of video is fine on the Wii, and since the video will ve streaming via the intranet (local network) versus the internet (wide area network), the video quality should be better than youtube, I have done intranet video streaming before and the quality seems pretty nice, and that's all Apple TV is
Same goes for listening to music through your TV, what's the point. Connect it to your stereo!
Everything goes through my surround sound decoder to begin with, unless it is HD or ED, then I have an HDMI or componet cable go to the television, but sound still goes through my decoder, so it will still play even though the TV is off:p:wink:
Later this summer you are going to be able to watch youtube videos. Wow big deal.
Well, that's good for me, I love watching online videos, even better on my Wii, and even better with a designated channel:drool:, can't wait, except youtube has been going downhill, why not veoh?

Last edited:
HD is 720P and higher for one

As for Ipods, you can add music from anywhere, everyone knows that. They only thing is that if you DL off of the Itunes store the song, videos only work with Itunes, Apple TV and Ipods. From what I have been told you can only use videos that have been DL from Itunes not personal video from other sources for use on the apple tv. This was told to me by an employee of the apple store. If the apple TV has an HDMI cable then why are they not offering HD videos? What's the point. If you want to watch youtube on your TV why not just buy the mac mini and hook it up through VGA and have full access not just youtube. skip the entire step of having a apple TV and use the mac mini.
There is a reason it has no monitor or mouse and keyboard. pair it with a nice wireless keyboard and mouse and hook it up to your tv. No worries about signal loss everything you need it all right there.

Last edited:
ericlewis91 said:
apple + nintendo will eventually merge..its going to come..plus nintendo is what apple needs for video game developers

Just wondering where that idea came from.

AZ_Wii_Tard said:
HD is 720P and higher for one

As for Ipods, you can add music from anywhere, everyone knows that. They only thing is that if you DL off of the Itunes store the song, videos only work with Itunes, Apple TV and Ipods. From what I have been told you can only use videos that have been DL from Itunes not personal video from other sources for use on the apple tv. This was told to me by an employee of the apple store. If the apple TV has an HDMI cable then why are they not offering HD videos? What's the point. If you want to watch youtube on your TV why not just buy the mac mini and hook it up through VGA and have full access not just youtube. skip the entire step of having a apple TV and use the mac mini.
There is a reason it has no monitor or mouse and keyboard. pair it with a nice wireless keyboard and mouse and hook it up to your tv. No worries about signal loss everything you need it all right there.
Ok, first, 720i IS the starting of HD, 720i is the interlaced version of 720p, and I have gotten 720i broadcasts to my television, it is just not used that much on most broadcasts

Second, it's not Ipods, it's iPods, the I is not capitalized, and P is capitalized, and yes, it does matter, it's their thing, for example, I am on an iBook, right now, the name on it is not Ibook, it's iBook, watch out for that next time
From what I have been told you can only use videos that have been DL from Itunes not personal video from other sources for use on the apple tv. This was told to me by an employee of the apple store.
This is nothing aginst the Mac Store, after all, I love the store, all my mac things in one simple place, but the employees there, well, at least at the one I go to, the computer I am on right now, as I said what type of computer it was, had some odd problems (would always run the installer no matter what I clicked on, then it would say the software in incompatible with the OS I was using, now this was preinstalled software, including calculator did this), they said that the only way to fix it was to install an newer OS, a NEWER OS, the only reason why he said that was so i'd go to the shelf for the newest version and buy it, the version that came with my computer worked completely fine, the problem that I had had nothing to do with OS glitches, the OS was fine, if was a mistake I made, and the guy said it was a problem with that version of the OS, I reinstalled with the version I had, the problem went away, contrary to what the guy said, have you tried this out yourself? A lot of the things I have asked about, people said it wasn't possible, but I got some things to work, if you haven't tried it yourself, don't say it's not possible, and even if it's not, there is probably a way around it, and I have to disagree, because I saw somebody at my school using an iPod video, he was talking about the film and how he got it (the movie was beerfest, it was downloaded via Bit Torrent and imported into iTunes, so I know for a fact it is possible), I know this was not downloaded from iTunes because it was in a widescreen format, you can't download widescreen movies off of iTunes, not black bars at the top and bottom of the screen, but the video looked smashed (oblong heads and what not, did not look right on screen), so I know for a fact that iTunes can import videos downloaded or uploaded from a different program or from a camcorder, they guy lied to you, just because they work there, dosen't mean they know everything about the company or item, also, he could of been lying to you on purpose so you wouldn't try to bootleg
If the apple TV has an HDMI cable then why are they not offering HD videos?
have you ever thought that you might not be using HD media to begin with? Or maybe it's not really meant for HD, but for another way to connect to a televison or smething, and weren't we talking about having the channel on the Wii? If you are talking about the product itself, then you are off topic, we are talking about the Wii channel and if it comes out, and the Wii is not HD, so it is perfect for the Wii
If you want to watch youtube on your TV why not just buy the mac mini and hook it up through VGA and have full access not just youtube.
Because I would have to BUY the Mac Mini, I already have a Wii, and with the Wii Opera web browser, I can already see youtube, I would just prefer a channel of it so I don't have to click in the domain when I want to watch videos
skip the entire step of having a apple TV and use the mac mini.
So instead of downloading a $10 or less channel to my Wii, I should spend $1000 for a computer that I will be using to do the same thing I can do on my Wii for much much less? Were you even thinking when posting that? My iBook costs less (got it on ebay) than any new Mac on the market, and I do a lot more on it then I would ever do with a twice as much Mac Mini attached to my television, why not save that money and hook up my iBook to my television? Or even better, why don't I download a $10 channel for the Wii and do it there?
Huh? As far as I know, they do sell it with a KB and mouse, and a monitor, Apple's idea is to have everything included, do you ever watch the mac commercials? I think that if you don't want a monitor mouse and KB, you have to order is special, and what about signal loss? What signal loss is there?

Last edited:
Back