Are Nintendo Wiis bought in the US compatible in Europe

Laura

WiiChat Member
Dec 18, 2006
I have bought a Nintendo Wii from the US, will I be able to buy games in Europe and use them?

to be honest, shouldnt you of checked this out before you bought the nintendo wii

now youre gonna have big issues with sending it back, if you choose to do so

It has nothing to do with being region locked, they both use completely different video standards. U.S. uses NTSC, and Europe uses PAL.

ftcmark said:
It has nothing to do with being region locked, they both use completely different video standards. U.S. uses NTSC, and Europe uses PAL.

Thus being region-locked..?

Region locking and the PAL/ NTSC video standards are seperate things. Most decent TV's and flats screens will display both PAL and NTSC output, so thats not a major one. The region locking of Wii and Gamecube discs will be more of a problem.

You will get US VC games and can import US games which are released earlier in some cases. Might be worth keeping and importing all your games

ftcmark said:

With respect please get a clue before posting something so definitive, the video standard has nothing to do with region locking, being region locked means that you can only play that software on hardware from its country e.g. I cannot play region 1 DVD's on my Region 2 player even if my tv supports NTSC/PAL I simply can't. Just as I can't play a region 1 Wii game on my UK Region 2 Wii.

Bottom line, if you buy a US wii be prepared to import all your games from the US.

Back