Are the wii's graphics so bad

NINTENDO64

WiiChat Member
Oct 3, 2006
uk / liverpool
From the technical details ive seen the wii is better then the xbox so by rights is should be able to outperform it.
If Far Cry could be held back 1 or 2 months it could look better than the xbox version,1 thing i seen is the draw distance on the wii pic you can see the mountain in the background thats looks good, away from Far Cry look at smash bros and mario galaxy the graphics are amazing.

And then theres capcom in a leauge of its own with its Resident Evil series from the extended video ive seen its looks like a xbox 360 game.

me personaly i think the graphics are good.
well good enough for me. lol lol :yesnod:

the Wii gfx are very good. i say it will be up to par with alot of PS3 and 360 games on SDTV (however since the 360 and PS3 support high def. those games will look much better on an HDTV) but we wont know untill we actualy play it. still, the gfx are good, just not as good as the 360 and PS3

Mitch2025 said:
the Wii gfx are very good. i say it will be up to par with alot of PS3 and 360 games on SDTV (however since the 360 and PS3 support high def. those games will look much better on an HDTV) but we wont know untill we actualy play it. still, the gfx are good, just not as good as the 360 and PS3
look. wii graphics is not comparable with xbox360 or ps3. even on a standard TV u will notice the difference. but the wii has got really decent graphics so i wouldnt worry unless graphics is your main thing. get that clear please.

i didnt say they were up to par but alot of games probably will look about the same gfx wise because developers dont always use the GPU's full potential.

Here's a portion of a post I made concerning the Wii's performance:

When developing for a platform for which you have little to no retrospective information for, you have one of two options: over-spec or under-spec.

Any developer will tell you that it's tremendously easier to subtract than it is to add; that is, to say, that it's better to have to remove or tone down content than to have to make vast improvements to code and content, in addition to adding new content along the way.

What we are seeing with the first cycle of games is simply due to underestimation of the Wii hardware, which is a message that has been touted throughout Nintendo since last year's E3.

Processor frequency holds a grain of salt when induced in a poor architecture. Despite the fact that reports indicate that the Wii is "twice as fast" as the GameCube, these are numbers on paper, not accurate benchmarks. The Wii's processor and the graphics processor have several new instruction sets introduced, including new and more efficient methods of dealing with arithmetic and multimedia.

Furthermore, if anyone remembers correctly, the original X-Box pulled it off with a 733Mhz Celeron and a Geforce 3 MX. The Wii's GPU is based on, at the very least, an ATI 8xxx series, which is a generation newer than the Geforce 3, while the Wii's processor is leagues ahead of a 733Mhz Pentium III based Celeron.

Based on the information I have presented above, it is safe to say that what you can definitely expect from the Wii will be the following:

It is unlikely that a 25GB or 50GB BluRay disk or HD-DVD will be used to their fullest extent when relating to actual game content, due to the fact that dual layer DVDs(8.5GB) are more than adequate to deliver the content currently being presented on the X-Box 360. What an increased medium capacity means for Wii owners is that they can finally have the core gaming experience, with some games having epic gameplay times.

While the resolution of the content itself might not be high definition, that doesn't rule out highly defined environments.

For example, worlds will not be as easily plagued by the draw distance limitation(typically characterized by "fog") that the Nintendo 64 and GameCube suffered from. Furthermore, lines are able to be more refined, with fewer aliased edges(commonly referred to as "jaggies"), while objects with textures that should protrude from the geometry will appear to, with the GPU most likely supporting a processing technique called "bump mapping". The GameCube's GPU already had features to correct all of this, but somehow, it was never utilized.

All of these obstacles have been, for the most part, overcome in PC gaming and the result has allowed strides to be made, such as games like Doom 3, Half-Life 2, and F.E.A.R. Now, the Wii has the technology, albeit limited, to raise the bar to beyond what we've seen with XBox and Playstation 2.

the graphics in the wii are amzing pokemon battle revaloution (WOW good graphics:drool: :drool: :drool: ) and mario glaaxy ssbb, red steel, excite truck and a few other... so anyway wow the graphics are fine with me plus zelda os take that ps3 fanboys the wii is more then a tweeaked up gamecube WAY MORE!!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :yesnod:

No, it's still a tweaked GameCube, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

If you don't count all of the FPSs, sports, and DDR games, the GameCube was the only console to produce a vast amount of unique titles. For example, after hearing from everyone that it's merely a kids game for so long, I recently picked up Pikmin. Well, let me tell you, it is definitely not for immature thinkers.

Now, developers have been given a second chance to show what the GameCube could have done by what the Wii will do... so don't think it's a bad thing when the Wii is called "GameCube 2", because lets face it:

The XBox 360 is just another XBox, which is just a PC that is designed for games, while the PS3 is an over-glorified Blu-Ray DVD player that happens to play games and the PS2 is a suped up PS1.

the only thing i worry about the wii is the graphics because i have a 360 and i might be dissapointed (but so far gameplay pics look good)

Ronan said:
the only thing i worry about the wii is the graphics because i have a 360 and i might be dissapointed (but so far gameplay pics look good)

Simple solution:

Stop playing your 360 three weeks before Wii's launch, then you won't know what you're missing. You might be surprised, the 360 might even collect some dust.

Ronan said:
just look at old games pics then look at the wiis graphics and u will think they are very good. lol :yesnod:

Yes they are. http://www.gamespot.com/wii/puzzle/sengokuaction/screenindex.html?sid=6157600&tag=gumballs;img;1
That fact that graphics can be that bad and that the online of the Wii will suckass made me change my mind. Im getting a 360 if a price drop occur in november (cross fingers). So if youre going to get a Wii, it should be because of the gameplay and not graphics.
Dont be fooled by all the Fanboys, the Wii graphics ARE bad. The gameplay IS what make this console . Thats all there is to know.
Oh and for those who will come and see that I took the worst exemple, well youre right. But if theres still some graphics of this kind on a 7th gen console...

Last edited:
Mitch2025 said:

Nope, 360 games look 2x better then xbox/ps2 games on a SDTV. Wii wont look that good, they will look 1.5x better then xbox/ps2 (although that doesnt mean they are going to look that good for all the games for the first year or 2, they will probably look the same as the xbox and ps2)

Back