Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Are the wii's graphics so bad

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Chat' started by NINTENDO64, Oct 4, 2006.

1. NINTENDO64

NINTENDO64 WiiChat Member

From the technical details ive seen the wii is better then the xbox so by rights is should be able to outperform it.
    If Far Cry could be held back 1 or 2 months it could look better than the xbox version,1 thing i seen is the draw distance on the wii pic you can see the mountain in the background thats looks good, away from Far Cry look at smash bros and mario galaxy the graphics are amazing.

And then theres capcom in a leauge of its own with its Resident Evil series from the extended video ive seen its looks like a xbox 360 game.

me personaly i think the graphics are good.
    well good enough for me. lol lol :yesnod:

2. in touch with the wii

in touch with the wii prez , you suck :p

Wii Friend Code: 5767-9309-0719-3080
    5767-9309-0719-3080
    they are better than ps2 graphics so i cant say they suck i really it looks good

3. The_Mitch

The_Mitch UNACCEPTABLE

Wii Friend Code: 2025-2025-2025-2025
    2025-2025-2025-2025
    the Wii gfx are very good. i say it will be up to par with alot of PS3 and 360 games on SDTV (however since the 360 and PS3 support high def. those games will look much better on an HDTV) but we wont know untill we actualy play it. still, the gfx are good, just not as good as the 360 and PS3

4. MetroidZ

MetroidZ Only took 4 years to get1

Wii Friend Code: 1000-0000-0000-0000
    1000-0000-0000-0000
    look. wii graphics is not comparable with xbox360 or ps3. even on a standard TV u will notice the difference. but the wii has got really decent graphics so i wouldnt worry unless graphics is your main thing. get that clear please.

5. The_Mitch

The_Mitch UNACCEPTABLE

Wii Friend Code: 2025-2025-2025-2025
    2025-2025-2025-2025
    i didnt say they were up to par but alot of games probably will look about the same gfx wise because developers dont always use the GPU's full potential.

6. teqguy

teqguy WiiChat Member

Here's a portion of a post I made concerning the Wii's performance:

When developing for a platform for which you have little to no retrospective information for, you have one of two options: over-spec or under-spec.

Any developer will tell you that it's tremendously easier to subtract than it is to add; that is, to say, that it's better to have to remove or tone down content than to have to make vast improvements to code and content, in addition to adding new content along the way.

What we are seeing with the first cycle of games is simply due to underestimation of the Wii hardware, which is a message that has been touted throughout Nintendo since last year's E3.

Processor frequency holds a grain of salt when induced in a poor architecture. Despite the fact that reports indicate that the Wii is "twice as fast" as the GameCube, these are numbers on paper, not accurate benchmarks. The Wii's processor and the graphics processor have several new instruction sets introduced, including new and more efficient methods of dealing with arithmetic and multimedia.

Furthermore, if anyone remembers correctly, the original X-Box pulled it off with a 733Mhz Celeron and a Geforce 3 MX. The Wii's GPU is based on, at the very least, an ATI 8xxx series, which is a generation newer than the Geforce 3, while the Wii's processor is leagues ahead of a 733Mhz Pentium III based Celeron.

Based on the information I have presented above, it is safe to say that what you can definitely expect from the Wii will be the following:

It is unlikely that a 25GB or 50GB BluRay disk or HD-DVD will be used to their fullest extent when relating to actual game content, due to the fact that dual layer DVDs(8.5GB) are more than adequate to deliver the content currently being presented on the X-Box 360. What an increased medium capacity means for Wii owners is that they can finally have the core gaming experience, with some games having epic gameplay times.

While the resolution of the content itself might not be high definition, that doesn't rule out highly defined environments.

For example, worlds will not be as easily plagued by the draw distance limitation(typically characterized by "fog") that the Nintendo 64 and GameCube suffered from. Furthermore, lines are able to be more refined, with fewer aliased edges(commonly referred to as "jaggies"), while objects with textures that should protrude from the geometry will appear to, with the GPU most likely supporting a processing technique called "bump mapping". The GameCube's GPU already had features to correct all of this, but somehow, it was never utilized.

All of these obstacles have been, for the most part, overcome in PC gaming and the result has allowed strides to be made, such as games like Doom 3, Half-Life 2, and F.E.A.R. Now, the Wii has the technology, albeit limited, to raise the bar to beyond what we've seen with XBox and Playstation 2.

7. pwn4life

pwn4life Banned

the graphics in the wii are amzing pokemon battle revaloution (WOW good graphics:drool: :drool: :drool: ) and mario glaaxy ssbb, red steel, excite truck and a few other... so anyway wow the graphics are fine with me plus zelda os take that ps3 fanboys the wii is more then a tweeaked up gamecube WAY MORE!!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :yesnod:

8. teqguy

teqguy WiiChat Member

No, it's still a tweaked GameCube, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

If you don't count all of the FPSs, sports, and DDR games, the GameCube was the only console to produce a vast amount of unique titles. For example, after hearing from everyone that it's merely a kids game for so long, I recently picked up Pikmin. Well, let me tell you, it is definitely not for immature thinkers.

Now, developers have been given a second chance to show what the GameCube could have done by what the Wii will do... so don't think it's a bad thing when the Wii is called "GameCube 2", because lets face it:

The XBox 360 is just another XBox, which is just a PC that is designed for games, while the PS3 is an over-glorified Blu-Ray DVD player that happens to play games and the PS2 is a suped up PS1.

9. Ronan

Ronan WiiChat Member

the only thing i worry about the wii is the graphics because i have a 360 and i might be dissapointed (but so far gameplay pics look good)

10. teqguy

teqguy WiiChat Member

Simple solution:

Stop playing your 360 three weeks before Wii's launch, then you won't know what you're missing. You might be surprised, the 360 might even collect some dust.

11. MetroidZ

MetroidZ Only took 4 years to get1

Wii Friend Code: 1000-0000-0000-0000
    1000-0000-0000-0000
    just look at old games pics then look at the wiis graphics and u will think they are very good. lol :yesnod:

12. Scream

Scream President of NO MA'AM

Wii Friend Code: 0169-9501-5816-7969
    0169-9501-5816-7969
    I don't think the graphics from some of the screen shots I have seen look bad at all!

13. IamJacksSmirkingRevenge

IamJacksSmirkingRevenge WiiChat Member

Red Steel is good but farcry and cod is horrible!!!!

14. !panic

!panic NintendOwnage

Yes they are. http://www.gamespot.com/wii/puzzle/sengokuaction/screenindex.html?sid=6157600&tag=gumballs;img;1
    That fact that graphics can be that bad and that the online of the Wii will suckass made me change my mind. Im getting a 360 if a price drop occur in november (cross fingers). So if youre going to get a Wii, it should be because of the gameplay and not graphics.
    Dont be fooled by all the Fanboys, the Wii graphics ARE bad. The gameplay IS what make this console . Thats all there is to know.
    Oh and for those who will come and see that I took the worst exemple, well youre right. But if theres still some graphics of this kind on a 7th gen console...

#14 !panic, Oct 4, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  15. soulchief

soulchief WiiChat Member

Nope, 360 games look 2x better then xbox/ps2 games on a SDTV. Wii wont look that good, they will look 1.5x better then xbox/ps2 (although that doesnt mean they are going to look that good for all the games for the first year or 2, they will probably look the same as the xbox and ps2)

16. teqguy

teqguy WiiChat Member

Fanboys?

My point was made solely from a technical standpoint that holds completely factual.

Compare a Geforce 3 MX to a Geforce 4 MX and you'll see a striking difference... and that's only the worst case scenario for the Wii. The GameCube features a GPU equivalent to the Radeon 7xxx series and it's been five years since that GPU was released... so do the math.

At best, the Wii features a GPU equivalent to either the ATI 9xxx or 600X series... which means graphical details found in games such as Guild Wars might be possible(after you account for other processing restrictions, of course).

#16 teqguy, Oct 4, 2006
  17. Kiwi

Kiwi Drug Addicts Unite

Wii Friend Code: 2222-4356-6544-7565
    2222-4356-6544-7565
    You've probably heard this a few times around the internet... but its not about the graphics, its about the gameplay.

Seriously, what happend to picking out games that just had cool boxart? i miss those days. All this graphics bull **** is making me sick.

18. Octogon

Octogon 戦士王

Wii Friend Code: 1979-1154-7425-1363
    1979-1154-7425-1363
    The Wii graphics aren't the best, but I really don't consider this bad. [​IMG]

Frankly, anything even close to that is good enough.

19. !panic

!panic NintendOwnage

Yeah I know that Zeldas graphics are OK and so are the ones from Super Mario Galaxy and Super Smash Bros Brawl, but they are only ''OK''. And you also have to consider that they are Nintendo games, not some third party games. My point is that YES you can pull some acceptable graphics from the Wii, but dont expect something nearly as good as the 360 or PS3. What you see now from Zelda and others Nintendo games is probably the best youll see on the Wii .
    Oh and when I said Fanboys, I didnt meant to specially target you teqgui.
    And Kiwi, ppl seems to talk like if only the Wii was good in matter of gameplay. The 360 and PS3 is/will pull/ing great gameplay too, its just that they ALSO have good graphics. I know that the Wiimote put the gameplay at a next level, but is it really THAT big of a thing? Once youll have played for a few weeks, it will feel just the same as a controller, and then youll realise how bad the graphics are, how bad the online is, and how ripped off you got. You guys are only overexcited from what seems so new, but once it will be common, youll feel pwnt.
    Thats my opinion, if youre going to answer, give some points, some arguments..Not only some Fanboys Flaming. Thanks (By this I dont mean previous posts were only Fanboy's, Im talking about answer to this post)

#19 !panic, Oct 4, 2006
  20. JVIPER82

JVIPER82 WiiChat Member

I'm kinda torn on this issue myself. i made posts on a previous thread talking about how I wish the graphics were improved and instead sacrifice the other stuff that is useless like Miis, Opera, etc.

While I would like the graphics to be improved, I wouldn't call the graphics bad. I never had a problem with xbox graphics or Gamecube graphics. And according to the specs, the Wii is supposed to be twice as powerful as the gamecube, which would make it still significantly more powerful than xbox . (PS2 had the worst graphical capabilities of the previous generation, believe it or not. They just had awesome games!)

Unfortunately, doubling the graphics aren't as significant as it used to be. When you go from 8 bit to 16 bit to 32 bit to 64 bit, it makes a difference. But now... not so much.

According to the specs of PS3 and Xbox360, they are anywhere between 8-10 times more powerful than the Wii due to multi-core CPU's and custom video cards. That should put the Wii at a significant disadvantage. Though, at the same time, I wouldn't say the graphics are 8-10 times worse than the PS3. Graphical prowess might not be as important as it was back in the day.

I still would like to see a little more power, but I don't think the wii will be bad as long as game developers come out with the right software.