Are there any deaf people on WiiChat?

All of you are going to hell. Ever think there might actually be someone who's hearing impaired registered?

261311 said:
All of you are going to hell. Ever think there might actually be someone who's hearing impaired registered?
I made this thread PARTICULARLY aimed at the hearing impaired, so I could see if they actually preffer the sign -language man to subtitles

Read the first post

I'm partially deaf in one ear (loud music as a kid) so sometimes it gets very hard to hear the television but if I had to make a choice, subtitles.

I know for a fact there are hearing impaired people on this forum.

As for the question, the person signing would have no use for the majority of deaf people. Believe it or not, most deaf people cannot sign. The more popular alternative nowadays is to have a cochlear implant or hearing aid (depending on the severity of the impairment). This allows the deaf person to hear. Of course this is the more popular option - why would deaf people choose not to hear?

The person signing will appear less and less as more people are implanted. However, the sound received by the bionic ears are not perfect at all, and there is quite a bit of interference - especially when watching the television. It is for that reason that many deaf people with bionic ears choose to have subtitles showing.

Very few people know how to sign. It's basically an outdated gimmick of deafness nowadays.

I was at a car show a few years back and saw a group of old men signing so fast I dont know how they kept up with eachother.

i live in canada and i haent encountered the annoying person in the corner that many time, but yes it is annoying

Tails McCloud~ said:
I'm partially deaf in one ear (loud music as a kid) so sometimes it gets very hard to hear the television but if I had to make a choice, subtitles.
Try going to a moterhead gig and rockin near the speakers

I was at a car show a few years back and saw a group of old men signing so fast I dont know how they kept up with eachother.
They where doin hand jutsus

Can you imagen somebody with a stutter doin sign

AndThen? said:
I know for a fact there are hearing impaired people on this forum.

As for the question, the person signing would have no use for the majority of deaf people. Believe it or not, most deaf people cannot sign. The more popular alternative nowadays is to have a cochlear implant or hearing aid (depending on the severity of the impairment). This allows the deaf person to hear. Of course this is the more popular option - why would deaf people choose not to hear?

The person signing will appear less and less as more people are implanted. However, the sound received by the bionic ears are not perfect at all, and there is quite a bit of interference - especially when watching the television. It is for that reason that many deaf people with bionic ears choose to have subtitles showing.

Very few people know how to sign. It's basically an outdated gimmick of deafness nowadays.
1. There are people who choose not to hear and are proud of their deafness.
2. Implants and aids don't work for everyone, especially adults. Plus it doesn't replace hearing to 100%.
3. Signing isn't being phased out. Especially since it's a universal language.

Clarke said:
2. Implants and aids don't work for everyone, especially adults. Plus it doesn't replace hearing to 100%.

From what ive been told from some one that dose sign number 3 isnt true
There are veryations
But there are some things that are world wide

Darkprinny said:
From what ive been told from some one that dose sign number 3 isnt true
There are veryations
But there are some things that are world wide
Hmm there seem to be variations but there may be similarities.

my aunt signs and her job at U.S. government (i really don't know) requires to be bilingual. she knows sign language. her 2nd language is used the least of all her coworkers 2nd languages, but when she signs it's often to foreigners.

Clarke said:

1. WHAT?! Why would someone choose NOT to hear? I can be proud of my deafness too. *puts on earmuffs until the day that I die*

I really don't see why someone would choose to extend their disability.

2. Hearing aids will work for almost anyone who has a no-profound hearing loss. The cochlear implants, however, do work a lot better if the person is either a child or has had the ability to hear and lost it.

3. Sign language is used less now than it was fifty years ago. In another fifty years, I believe it will be used even less. This is because more young people are becoming implanted and cochlear implants are becoming more successful.

Back