Are you impressed?

micster

The Japanaholic
Nov 12, 2006
United Kingdom
Wii Online Code
3797-6238-2050-0894
Is anyone else impressed with the Virtual Console system?

Heres my Virtual Console story

So, i asked my mom if i could order 1000 wii points via the wii and she agreed. So after entering the card details it took something like 10seconds to verify the card and give me the 1000 points.

I go to the N64 games and choose Super Mario 64. The download must have took something like 3 minutes, not long anyway.

Now this is the only bad part, after downloading my cursor wasent being shown on the screen so i replaced the batteries and resynced and that worked.

I started up Super Mario 64 and just wow. Now i had played it in the past on an emulator [ah shoot me, you all know you've done it before] and the graphics were good taking in mind that it was an N64 games. But on the wii! Amazing, the water looked as good as the Wiisports golf water. The textures were clean looking and Peach's castle looked amazing.

Has anyone else been pleasantly surprised by the VC, or has anyone had major problems.

[for anyone wondering, i use the official Nintendo WiFi USB connector]

eh i downloaded the NES zelda and its awesome and all but there are parts where it gets a little laggy and slowed down when there are alot of enemies on the screen, or you can see what some of the skeletons in the dungeos are going to drop because they flash in front of them sometimes (ex: rupees bombs) but besides that its awesome ;) i have almost 30 hours into the NES zelda and am still playing it haha... i need to make time for twilight princess :p

edit: the download for me took like 20 seconds on my DSL router belkin
then again its alot smaller than the N64 games (ALOT)

Last edited:
micster said:
Is anyone else impressed with the Virtual Console system?

Heres my Virtual Console story

So, i asked my mom if i could order 1000 wii points via the wii and she agreed. So after entering the card details it took something like 10seconds to verify the card and give me the 1000 points.

I go to the N64 games and choose Super Mario 64. The download must have took something like 3 minutes, not long anyway.

Now this is the only bad part, after downloading my cursor wasent being shown on the screen so i replaced the batteries and resynced and that worked.

I started up Super Mario 64 and just wow. Now i had played it in the past on an emulator [ah shoot me, you all know you've done it before] and the graphics were good taking in mind that it was an N64 games. But on the wii! Amazing, the water looked as good as the Wiisports golf water. The textures were clean looking and Peach's castle looked amazing.

Has anyone else been pleasantly surprised by the VC, or has anyone had major problems.

[for anyone wondering, i use the official Nintendo WiFi USB connector]

o_O better graphics? I thought the games were direct ports from their originating console, the Supermario 64 on the Wii should look EXACTLY like the N64 version right?

I can confirm this, I just got Super Mario 64 tonight, I needed something to hold me off until christmas as I already beat Zelda. I still remember how it looked on the N64, but when I loaded the game on the Wii, I was taken back by how much cleaner the graphics look. I would assume it has to do with the fact that its some smoothing technology working. I been playing it for about um overish an hour or two? already have 17 stars, but I totally like forgotten where most of everything is, so its like a brand new game to me again.

I'm having total Deja Vu. ;)

P.S. It only took 30 seconds to download it for me.

Last edited:
No kidding, I thought it was just my eyes playing tricks on me, but the Wii definetley made Mario 64 seem to have sharper and cleaner look to it, I mean if it made Mario look this good, hopefully all the upcoming N64 games will look better.

(man, I seriously wished I would have found out about that nintendo WiFi usb adapter before I flushed 80 dollars for a wireless router for the Wii and my DS Lite.......sigh)

xbandaidx said:
I can confirm this, I just got Super Mario 64 tonight, I needed something to hold me off until christmas as I already beat Zelda. I still remember how it looked on the N64, but when I loaded the game on the Wii, I was taken back by how much cleaner the graphics look. I would assume it has to do with the fact that its some smoothing technology working. I been playing it for about um overish an hour or two? already have 17 stars, but I totally like forgotten where most of everything is, so its like a brand new game to me again.

I'm having total Deja Vu. ;)

P.S. It only took 30 seconds to download it for me.
hey once you beat twighlight dont you get a link mii?

micster said:
[for anyone wondering, i use the official Nintendo WiFi USB connector
ahh...mine won't work, so we are going wireless. Wireless should be better anyway. wont work cause of internet sharing or something

the only problem i have with the VC are the prices.

Yes, some of u might call me cheap and such. But here in the UK its about £20 for 2000 points. Now NES and SNES games are about 600 or 800 pts each. So you can only get 2-3 games per £20

So thats what? £6 or £7 for a game thats about 5-10 years old, maybe more, that u could grab on ebay possibly for about £2 and run on the NES i still have here.

A bit of a depressing look to it i know but its still the truth. You're paying money for SNES games. I wouldnt mind if i could get like 5 or more games for the £20 card but 2-3 is pretty poor. And half of my points for mario from the N64? please

Here's a good theory.

480p.

Are you using the component cables and "EDTV or HDTV"? The console will deinterlace the image and send it to the screen -- it will be essentially 480p.

Component cables ALWAYS provide better color rendering than composite cables. Noone has ever seen N64 on component cables, until Wii! ;)

If you're using component cables, that could be a reason right off why N64 looks better!

Back