Backup copies of Wii games????

Status
Not open for further replies.

swapwap

WiiChat Member
Jan 21, 2008
Hello, I'm new but if someone couple give me some suggestions I'd love start a thread on it. My have two little girls. unfortunately they love to get their finders on the CDs, besides lying them on the table, floor and whatever...

I'm trying to find a way to copy the Cd's so I can have them use them and keep the original away from their fingers.... I can't do it with Nero and see they you either need a software program or a new burner. Are program like this really something that works>

GameCopyPro

or is there something better?

swapwap said:
Hello, I'm new but if someone couple give me some suggestions I'd love start a thread on it. My have two little girls. unfortunately they love to get their finders on the CDs, besides lying them on the table, floor and whatever...

I'm trying to find a way to copy the Cd's so I can have them use them and keep the original away from their fingers.... I can't do it with Nero and see they you either need a software program or a new burner. Are program like this really something that works>

GameCopyPro

or is there something better?

First of all it is illegal to make copies of the games, and you won't be able to use them unless you modify your wii with a mod chip

Wii discs are not a either a cd or dvd. It is a wii optical disc, and the only thing that works to copy them is a sofware called rawdump 2.0 so it can read the wii optical disc and make a copy to a dvd

Regards..

Thanks, however. It is no more illegal to copy a game than a music CD> There is no attorney in my state that would ever prosecute one for making a back-up copy on a legal product to protect the longevity of the item. My brother is an attorney, so yes I know.

Why can't people get over this????? Do you not recall when WE were all sold on CD technology back when they took over the cassette technology? We were told these CD's would last a lifetime, Actually 100+ years. Well, you and I both know they will not last that long because you and I do not live in a lab.

If these manufactures would simply provide a service to the purchaser to insure their product or better yet a simple exchange program there could exchange a defective dics there would be no need to copy them, but they Don't , Why, because they like money. You obviously do not have kids. Kids destroy disc. I know, I have a wonderful collection of DVD's from many Disney Titles. Oh- by the way, They are all stored on Hard Drive now and I still have the disc, preserved for future use if necessary. The point I am making is that not everyone is trying to copy and sell illegal copies. That is where people make a mistake. Copy is not illegal, selling/trading one is.

Last edited:
There are only a few dvd burners that are capable of burning Wii backups.

Do some Googling, as I don't know too much on the subject.

Also, only mod your Wii if you are experienced with taking apart complicated electrical devices. :yesnod:

EDIT: I will be posting a tutorial on how to disassemble the Wii and Wiimotes soon. :yesnod:

thanks, I just thought there would be something pretty simple so I can protect my Cd's. I don't know that I want to go into the unit itself. thanks for the feedback.

2nd point, if these systems use an optical disc do you know of any external USB supported optical disc burners that aren't too pricey to get? Heck most wii games are $40. It won't take long to build up a health supply of them at a pretty high cost. I just don't want to have optical disc failure 6 months from now with no option other than purchasing a new disc,

Last edited:
swapwap said:
thanks, I just thought there would be something pretty simple so I can protect my Cd's. I don't know that I want to go into the unit itself. thanks for the feedback.

2nd point, if these systems use an optical disc do you know of any external USB supported optical disc burners that aren't too pricey to get? Heck most wii games are $40. It won't take long to build up a health supply of them at a pretty high cost. I just don't want to have optical disc failure 6 months from now with no option other than purchasing a new disc,
Believe me, if you keep good care of the discs they will not "fail".

Discs do not have an expiry date. The only way for them to fail is to be physically damaged.

swapwap said:
Thanks, however. It is no more illegal to copy a game than a music CD> There is no attorney in my state that would ever prosecute one for making a back-up copy on a legal product to protect the longevity of the item. My brother is an attorney, so yes I know.

Why can't people get over this????? Do you not recall when WE were all sold on CD technology back when they took over the cassette technology? We were told these CD's would last a lifetime, Actually 100+ years. Well, you and I both know they will not last that long because you and I do not live in a lab.

If these manufactures would simply provide a service to the purchaser to insure their product or better yet a simple exchange program there could exchange a defective dics there would be no need to copy them, but they Don't , Why, because they like money. You obviously do not have kids. Kids destroy disc. I know, I have a wonderful collection of DVD's from many Disney Titles. Oh- by the way, They are all stored on Hard Drive now and I still have the disc, preserved for future use if necessary. The point I am making is that not everyone is trying to copy and sell illegal copies. That is where people make a mistake. Copy is not illegal, selling/trading one is.

I know what you mean.. i make copies of my cds and dvd's and store them, but the wii discs are not that easy to copy because they are not recognized as a cd or dvd, it is something else. This is one of the reasons why Nintendo has not released a DVD channel, due that they need to make a hardware upgrade to the Wii console to allow this (not just a firmware upgrade). Like I told you there is a program called rawdump that will make a copy of the wii disc into a dvd (the Wii recognizes the dvd as a Wii optical disc even thou it is a dvd), but it will not run, unless you modify your wii with a mod chip (there are some of them available), but it will void your warranty and for example Super Mario Galaxy was not running in a modified console with the chip (the original disc), now I know there are new mod chips that allow that game to run.

I have a small child and cousins and I am always telling how to take care of those discs, about how to open the case, take them out with care, how to put it in the console and how to take care of them when putting it back to the case using the little disc hole to handle them. They are aware of not touching the data side (avoiding dirt or finggerprints), And discs have remained in excellent condition, it is just to explain them. And surprisingly after you explain them how important is to take care of those discs, they do it and tell others to do the same.

Last edited:
highroller said:
I know what you mean.. i make copies of my cds and dvd's and store them, but the wii discs are not that easy to copy because they are not recognized as a cd or dvd, it is something else. Like I told you there is a program called rawdump that will make a copy of the wii disc into a dvd, but it will not run, unless you modify your wii with a mod chip (there are some of them available), but it will void your warranty and for example Super Mario Galaxy was not running in a modded chip (an original game), now I know there are new mod chips that allow that game to run.

I have a small child and cousins and I am always telling how to take care of those discs, about how to open the case, take them out with care, how to put it in the console and how to take care of them when putting it back to the case using the little disc hole to handle them. They are aware of not touching the data side (avoiding dirt or finggerprints), And discs have remained in excellent condition, it is just to explain them. And surprisingly after you explain them how important is to take care of those discs, they do it and tell others to do the same.
You are wrong about Mario Galaxy. There was a patched version of the modchip firmware released BEFORE the release of SMG.

All of the latest modchips are upgradeable

highroller said:
First of all it is illegal to make copies of the games

This is not true. It is illegal to sell copies. The act of making a copy is legal, for the very purpose of having backups, so long as it isn't used to make any profits. If you purchased the game, you can copy it. Just good luck getting it to run(thus why I'm glad I have my wii modded ).

....and SMG runs great on mine. :thumbsup:

It isn't illegal to have a copy if you have the original. It is however illegal if you don't have the original.

If you're worried about the discs becoming damaged it doesn't make much sense to risk the wii itself by putting a chip in. I think the best solution is to teach your children how to change the discs carefully, do it yourself or just buy the game if the disc eventually gets destroyed.

Singhson said:
LOL, this thread is a joke, either no-one really wants swapwap to know how to do this stuff, or you REALLY don't know.

Nope, don't know at all!
I do know that having "copies" without having the originals is illegal. And I know a lot of people who have bricked their Wiis trying to chip it.
But apart from that I don't know anything!!

Last edited by a moderator:
"It isn't illegal to have a copy if you have the original. It is however illegal if you don't have the original."

Wrong. A lot of armchair lawyers here. Go to law school, take a copyright class, then come back here and post. It is not legal to copy DVDs and Games, even for backup purposes. You probably will not get in trouble for it, but the DMCA does NOT allow for this. Ask any copyright expert, and they will tell you the same.

Singhson said:
?, what the hell happened to all the posts that were in between? theres like 4 or 5 posts missing?
they were deleted for being off topic. anyways whether making backups of your own games is legal or not, no one really cares as long as it is made so you dont ruin the originals. the only way to play backups is to mod your wii which means opening it up and soldering a chip to the DVD drive. you can do this yourself or send it off to a company that does it for you (you pay for the chip, shipping, and labor so it can get kinda pricey). personally i would send it off to a professional that knows what they are doing. you can BURN the game with any DVD burner but im not sure what you need to rip the games. ive modded the original xbox and the way to rip games was to plug the xbox DVD drive into a PC and run a special program or rip the game to the xboxs HDD and FTP it to your PC. im not sure if you have to somehow hook your wii up to your PC or if you can use any DVD drive with special software. i say since you have kids, go ahead and get your wii modded so if they do ruin the game you can just reburn a new copy

CD's dont last a lifetime? I never notice one of my cd's begin to disintegrate or anything.

If you mean by scratches then thats your own fault because you should be careful. None of my CDs have a single blemish on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back