backwards INcompatibility & what GCN games should I play?

jus.

WiiChat Member
Nov 21, 2006
Anyone run across any GCN games that don't play? I test played the GCN when Nintendo had reps in all the game stores and I hated Luigi's Mansion, and the controller felt too small so I wrote the whole system off until I moved above these kids who had one, and when I'd watch them while their mom went to the store, they would heartily serve my ass in many awesome gamecube games. Since I had a PS2, and my bro-in-law has a PS3, I know for certain that Backwards Compatibility only works so well. I heard that the Wii is *literally* a GCN with only a processor/graphics card upgrade, meaning it would run the same code and the same processes just X times better/faster. This to me makes me think there would be few to zero incompatibilities, and it seems as though Nintendo is advertising 100% compatibility so basically what I'm wondering is this: What *doesn't* work? Has anyone had a game not load from GCN? Not because your Wii was messed and wouldn't play ANY GCN games, but just one or two games that straight up wouldn't load, or had glitchy graphics or the sound/fmv didn't sync or any sign that Nintendo did a less than 100% perfect job of this?
I'm not hoping they failed, I'm praying they didn't. I have a whole ****load of games to catch up on while suckas are waiting for the next round of Wii releases.

As far as I understand, the HARDWARE is completely compatable with a game cube right up to the controller ports and memory card slots unlike the other consoles which use software emulation. The downside of this is that once you start a GCN game, it acts just like a GCN. You can't use the wiimote, you have to restart the machine to go back to the main menu, and you can only save on GCN memory cards, not the wii memory or SD cards.

Sweet.

Was there a Mario Kart for GC?

3 words. Resident Evil Four. Possibly the best survival-horror ever. And also the most Mature title on the GCN. Shame you cant utilise the Wii-mote for this game.

oh jeez
I'm never going to get fresh air again am I?

jus. said:
oh jeez
I'm never going to get fresh air again am I?

Lol, I'm still buying and playing the hell out of GCN games because I know at some point I'll probably purchase a Wii when/if my family's favorites are produced on the Wii. That means Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon, Mario Party and other such "kiddy" stuff.

BTW, Resident Evil is worth buying -- awesome game and it will creep you out -- period. Turn all the lights off, play at night on a big screen and hook it up to your home theater and it will make the hair stand up on your neck.

The 100% backward compatible claim is the only reason I keep buying GCN games. Heck they are almost all 20 bucks or less -- many are 10 used at gamestop and I'll not have to have two systems if/when I get a Wii...

I have heard no reports of any games not working. I did see a small post here about a particular controller but I believe that was isolated to that one user as others used the same controller with no problems.

To sum up (what has already been said): Wii is a GC.

PS: Very nice well thought out post. Props.

-Bobby

bobby1211 said:
I have heard no reports of any games not working. I did see a small post here about a particular controller but I believe that was isolated to that one user as others used the same controller with no problems.

To sum up (what has already been said): Wii is a GC.
PS: Very nice well thought out post. Props.

-Bobby

thats like saying ps3 is a ps2, are you saying its not any better? or were you just referring to the backwards compatability of it?

scubasteve said:
thats like saying ps3 is a ps2, are you saying its not any better? or were you just referring to the backwards compatability of it?
I think he was saying that from a backward compatibility standpoint, a Wii is a GameCube, in that it fully duplicates the hardware of the GC.... not that it is limited to what the GC can do.

Actually, your PS3/PS2 comparison is off because contrary to what Sony promised, the PS3 is NOT fully backward compatible with the PS2. (Which leads me to believe that there is some software emulation going on somewhere at some level).

i never got a gamecube but im really digging some of its games. I wanted to get a gamecube but that was around when Nintendo said it would have its revolution come out in a few years so i held off getting one. Now that i got a wii i have been getting all the games i wanted for it.

RE4 is very awesome.

so far my my list is

re4
re0
baten katos
eternal darkness
tales of phatasia
zelda collection 1,2, time, mask
windwaker
4swords

they were about 15 each. more or less.

Last edited:
scubasteve said:

sracer said:
I think he was saying that from a backward compatibility standpoint, a Wii is a GameCube, in that it fully duplicates the hardware of the GC.... not that it is limited to what the GC can do.

Actually, your PS3/PS2 comparison is off because contrary to what Sony promised, the PS3 is NOT fully backward compatible with the PS2. (Which leads me to believe that there is some software emulation going on somewhere at some level).

What he said :D Thx sracer

-Bobby

got metroid and animal crossing (w/memory card, SCORE!) for ten bucks each! lovin metroid, in AC withdrawl that **** is addictive!

This may be a stupid question, but can you use the classic controller for the wii to play gc games? if not where can I get a controller? I dont see them in stores anymore. Anyone know a cheap site?

Back