bad news for xbox

aryus

WiiChat Member
Mar 26, 2007
santa cruz, ca
Wii Online Code
6161-5412-0524-5516
looks like you lost the dvd war to the ps3.
walmart netflix and best buy will only be selling blu ray as well as several other small chains.

u mean in the future(5-10 years) right? because standard dvds and hddvds will still be made and sold for another 5 or 10 years..where did you get this info from? is this just your thoughts? pretty interesting :wtf:

I heard about that. Its not the xbox though, its the entire HD-DVD format that died. Blu-Ray is so much better, holds so much more space.

Jay588 said:
u mean in the future(5-10 years) right? because standard dvds and hddvds will still be made and sold for another 5 or 10 years..where did you get this info from? is this just your thoughts? pretty interesting

Its true, walmart, netflix and bestbuy will no longer be selling HD-DVD products. Last time i heard Blu-Ray has 90 percent more sales.

Last edited:
Everyone already knows HD-DVD lost. But its not really bad news for Xbox owners unless you were stupid enough to buy a HD-DVD player.

Bad news for Microsoft though... It was one-sided and stupid war. There's no downside to Blu-ray when it comes to movies... Great quality and alot more space. HD-DVD is the same thing with possibly a slight quality margin and less space. How can you expect HD to win over Blu-ray under those circumstances.

Thats why Microsoft lowered the price for their HD-DVD players, but most Xbox owners know not to buy it.

Also, I do agree with Jay, I think Microsoft will get their hands on it and changes are next gen console will have internal Blu-ray because the advantage of having alot of space on their discs are just too good. By next console, they maybe will be able to improve the loading times for Blu-rays, though the load times aren't even that bad.

The loss of HD-DVD doesn't really have much of anything to do with the Xbox 360. Especially since the PS3 is the only console that was solely dependent on one of the formats. This is just bad news for anyone who bought an HD-DVD player (in which case, the Xbox 360 is not, unless you buy the additional add-on by choice).

EDIT: T3kNi9e, beat me to it.

WAIT

why did blue ray win? how was it one sided, while hd dvd players were cheaper

blue ray players are a lot more expensive for just a little bit of extra quality( from what i know).....can someone explain to me why blue ray kicked hd dvd's ass?

Hmm, from what I saw HD-DVD players and Blu-ray players costs the same. Atleast they did... now HD-DVD players are cheaper.

The reason why it lost is because their are two HD formats. Blu-ray and HD-DVD, Blu-ray has better quality and more space, HD has arguebly slighty less quality and less space. So the big movie studios decided to go 100% Blu-ray, which means for example a movie like 300 which is distributed by Warner Bros. will only release the movie on Blu-ray.

Alot of the movie studios have moved to Blu-ray 100%, so in a while their will be no more HD-DVD movies or very little.

Hey Sony fanboy, I for one honestly don't care about hi-def dvds, give me standard dvds with an upconverting player and I'm good. I won't purchase any hi-def formatted dvds until that is all there is.

T3kNi9e said:
Hmm, from what I saw HD-DVD players and Blu-ray players costs the same. Atleast they did... now HD-DVD players are cheaper.

The reason why it lost is because their are two HD formats. Blu-ray and HD-DVD, Blu-ray has better quality and more space, HD has arguebly slighty less quality and less space. So the big movie studios decided to go 100% Blu-ray, which means for example a movie like 300 which is distributed by Warner Bros. will only release the movie on Blu-ray.

Alot of the movie studios have moved to Blu-ray 100%, so in a while their will be no more HD-DVD movies or very little.

This is true, though the only thing that actually hurt them the most was the fact that Warner Bros. switched to Blu-Ray. Once after that, movie studios started moving towards Blu-Ray.

Edit: It is also not bad news for Xbox (like everyone else has been saying), only for those who bought the HD-DVD Player.

Blu-Ray may be adding sales to the PS3 but in no way is it taking them from the 360 and HD-DVD really isn't one of the 360's marketing points

it helps sales of the Ps3 because of the price of the blu ray players, people figure kill 2 birds with 1 stone and get a ps3

I believe Microsoft own a part of Blu-Ray anyway.

Back