Bad News Tv Viewers...

Marioman

Locke likes oranges
Mar 18, 2007
Ohio, Cincinnatti
Wii Online Code
2808-0927-1557-0457
Looks like alot of the shows we know and love might be having shorter seasons this coming year...shows like Heroes and Lost. Read This...

IGN said:
Writers Strike Approved
Get ready TV fans - Heroes, Lost and more will likely be having shortened seasons.
by Eric Goldman
November 2, 2007 - Update: The Writers Guild of America held a press conference Friday, and officially set Monday morning at 12:00 am PT as the beginning of the strike. They have stated that they are open to negotiations over the weekend as long as the companies will stop insisting DVD residuals cannot be increased. Variety quotes WGA negotiating committee chairman John Bowman as saying "We don't want to strike. What we really want to do is negotiate."

But it's almost a certainty the strike will happen, as the Alliance of Motion Picture & Television Producers' Nick Counter released an angry statement responding to the WGA, declaring "We are very disappointed with their press conference and the action [the WGA] took. Their press conference was full of falsehoods, misstatements and inaccuracies and we'll respond at an appropriate time."

Read on for the earlier story and more details on the strike.

The Writers Guild of America has decided to strike. After negotiations fell apart with the Alliance of Motion Picture & Television Producers this week, the WGA met Thursday night at the Los Angeles Convention center, and the WGA negotiating committee announced a unanimous strike recommendation, reports Variety.

Final decisions are being made, but it's likely the strike will begin this coming Monday, November 4th. For the time being, writers have been instructed to return to work and wait for an update from strike captains. Variety notes that it's possible for negotiations to re-open over the weekend, but it's seen as highly doubtful.

A major issue leading to this strike continues to be DVD revenues. Under rules set during the 1980s during the VHS/rental era, WGA members receive four cents for every DVD sold of a project they wrote. The WGA is asking for the amount to be doubled to eight cents a copy for the writer, and offered a compromise that wasn't accepted - the compromise would have kept the four cent revenue for DVDs that had made less than a $1 million in sales, but double the amount going to the writer for titles once they pass $1 million. The studios and networks state that DVD revenues are needed to break even thanks to rising costs and that they can't afford the increase for the writers. An additional issue continues to be how to handle revenue and residuals from new media, such as online downloads of television series.

If the strike begins Monday, production will have to halt immediately on talk shows such as Late Night with Conan O'Brien and The Daily Show, which are written the day of production. On Thursday's Daily Show Jon Stewart noted to the audience that they would not be back next week if the strike begins.

- NBCSave the TV season, save the cheerleaderMeanwhile series such as Heroes and Lost will likely continue filming for at least a couple of weeks, finishing production on the scripts they have written. However, there are rumblings that teamsters could also stop coming to work in a show of solidarity with the WGA. If that does occur, all production will likely have to be stopped, across the board. Regardless, most prime time series will likely have enough shows completed to air new episodes until January or February.

Eonline.com's Kristin Dos Santos related how she was at a dinner on Thursday night attended by Lost executive producer Damon Lindelof and Heroes executive producer Tim Kring and how their cell phones and BlackBerrys, along with everyone in the room, all simultaneously received the news "It's on" as the WGA made the strike announcement. In a piece earlier this week this week we discussed how a strike would impact many series. Dos Santos updates the situations facing Lindelof and Kring's shows, revealing that the Lost writers have completed scripts for 14 of the 16 episodes intended for this season. Most shows have far less of their would-be final output ready to film.

Heroes also is a bit luckier than most shows, in terms of being able at least have some sort of closure for now. This season was already intended to be split into two or three distinct storylines, and the first one -- "Generations" -- will finish up with an episode airing in early December. While more episodes will have been filmed beyond that, NBC might just choose to make the conclusion of "Generations" a pseudo-season finale, rather than begin the next storyline only to have it abruptly be put on hold thanks to the strike halting production. [Click here to read more about how Heroes is handling the strike]

IGN will be giving updates in the coming days and weeks, as to how the strike will affect specific shows and how many episodes fans can expect to see.

Link- http://tv.ign.com/articles/832/832307p1.html

I don't watch those shows that much, but I know many people do.
That'll be a shame to those missing their favorite shows.

As long as House, Journeyman, Family Guy, and Prison Break don't go on strike I'm fine with the strike seeing as I don't watch any of those shows.

It's a good thing I only watch 1 TV show, haha.

I heard about this and about did a backflip.

We wait an entire year to see 13 episodes and then I hear that we won't even get to see most of them! This is BS.

Well it did say they had the scrips done for the first 14 episodes of Lost so it won't be too much of a letdown

^I had heard that this entire season was only composed of 13 new episodes...?

I rarely watch T.V. If I do, it's usually the news. But I feel the pain of people losing their favorite TV shows x.x...it's like me losing Power Rangers when I was young. (ohh the pain!)

RivalDestiny said:
I rarely watch T.V. If I do, it's usually the news. But I feel the pain of people losing their favorite TV shows x.x...it's like me losing Power Rangers when I was young. (ohh the pain!)

same exact thing with me. I would of had my innocence and childhood raped from me if power rangers, pokemon, and batman were taken off the air.

feel bad now for you guys.

p.s.
>_>
<_<
..i still like watching the old episodes of pokemon

Last edited:
LevesqueIsKing said:
^I had heard that this entire season was only composed of 13 new episodes...?
Nope It is 16 episodes for the season I'm pretty sure...or is it 18...becuase the other three seasons were 24 shows each right? And I remember they cut Season 4 by 6 shows...so it must 18...so we will be missing aobut 4 shows if this follows through

Back