Bad year for Sony? You decide...

Xanthan

Hardcore Gamer
Nov 30, 2006
Augusta, GA
Wii Online Code
6188-0435-3585-1038
Feb. 27th, 2006 - Sony misses it's Spring launch date

May 8th, 2006 - Sony holds it's E3 conference announcing the pricing of the PS3 at $600/$500

May 8th, 2006 - New PS3 controller will have six degrees of motion, but no rumble feature. Sony's Phil Harrison states that rumble was last gen and no longer needed.

May 31st, 2006 - Sony's Phil Harrison denies copying the Wiimote and states that the PS3 will replace the PC

Sept 6th, 2006 - PS3 is delayed in Europe until March 2007

Sept 6th, 2006 - PS3 launch shipment is cut from 2 million to 400,000 in the US (100,000 to Japan)

Sept 8th, 2006 - Sony's President admits that the company's hardware is in a current state of decline

Sept 26th, 2006 - PS3 first-party titles announced to be the same price as third party titles, at $59.99

Sept 26th, 2006 - Square Enix will not exclusively support Sony's PS3 as much as they did with the PS2.

Sept 29th, 2006 - Sony's President Ken Kutaragi states that his company does not care about the Xbox 360 and Wii competition.

October 12th, 2006 - Sony Exec calls the 360 and Wii "too expensive"

October 19th, 2006 - The infamous spec sheet comparison and how Sony claims the Xbox 360 requires HD-DVD to play games

October 20th, 2006 - Announced that Sony may have to replace your PS3 controller for you after it no longer holds charge

October 24th, 2006 - Sony sinks Lik-Sang

October 26th, 2006 - Sony's Q2 profits decrease by 94%

October 28th, 2006 - Sony president Ken Kutaragi said he expects the PS3 to be capable of running games at a stunning 120fps

October 30th, 2006 - PS3 will push Sony $1.71 billion into the red

October 31st, 2006 - Japan launch of the PS3 is cut to 80,000 units

Nov 8th, 2006 - Sony ships without update. You must update your PS3 out of the box in order to use PlayStation Network

Nov 9th, 2006 - NBA Live 2007 is cancelled on the PS3

Nov 9th, 2006 - Oblivion is pushed back from launch title
to Jan 2007

Nov 10th, 2006 - Sony's Phil Harrison states that he can no longer confirm a March 2007 launch for Europe

Nov 11th, 2006 - PS3 launches in Japan and rewards few

Nov 11th, 2006 - Sony unprepared for Japan launch

Nov 14th, 2006 - Sony will miss 400,000 unit target for
the US. Approx 150k to 200k will be shipped for launch

Nov 14th, 2006 - PS3 has backwards compatibility problems

Nov 16th, 2006 - PS3 downscales 720p games instead of upscaling to 1080i

Nov 16th, 2006 - Sony's Jack Tretton comments on the PS3 BC problems and states that the Wii has 0 backwards compatibility

Nov 20, 2006 - NYT not impressed with PS3

Nov 21, 2006 - PS3, PSP Rainbow Six held till '07

Nov 23, 2006 - Saving Sony, one console at a time

Nov 26, 2006 - More PS3 exclusives head to 360

Nov 26, 2006 - Bloomberg: Sony missed PS3 ship targets

Nov 30, 2006 - Sony shuffles senior execs

Nov 30, 2006 - Analyst: "I cannot imagine a PlayStation 4"

Dec 4, 2006 - Sony Australia: Wii "More Fun" than PS3

Dec 8, 2006 - Court rules for Immersion; Sony to pay up

Dec 11, 2006 - Industry watchers weigh in on "record-low tie ratios" for Wii and PS3 and other results from the month of the new systems' debut.

Dec 19, 2006 - Time says PS3 was a bust

Dec 21, 2006 - Virtua Fighter 5 dukes it out on Xbox 360

Dec 21, 2006 - Sony filed a patent for wiimote style hand-held controler

--Got this timeline from gamespot, can go here to read it with links backing up each statement.
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25247543

Xanthan said:
Nov 16th, 2006 - Sony's Jack Tretton comments on the PS3 BC problems and states that the Wii has 0 backwards compatibility
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Jack Tretton wins the award for biggest moron of 2006.

HOLY CRAP that's a laundry list of problems!
>I highly doubt that Bill Gates will sit back and let the PS3s replace PC's.
>Sony shouldn't talk about the Wii and 360 being expensive
>Killing Lik Sang will breed a lot of Sony haters
>Corporate restructuring while investors are uneasy
damn, I can on an on. Sony is on $h!t street. With all the crappy BluRay movies coming out, I doubt that PS3 will take off.

DAMN!!! What a killer list of Sony's huge failures(if you can't tell that I hate sony, just see below the post:smilewinkgrin:)! I think that Sony has too much hype from the PS2.
P.S., If Sony tries to make a "wiimote" copy, i'm gonna be so pissed!

ps3 sucks ass man, dont get me wrong, the grahpics are BEE-you--tee--full...but the games suck balls man! wtf? and the console as ias big as my scanner, thats some bullshyt right there, and blu-ray? who gives a flying ****?! man i'm happy with my cable modem--err...i mean with my wii, the graphics are beautiful and the games bang phat sweet asses lol wow! ...man **** the ps3, i'm not a fanboy or anything but **** them

Microsoft should drive a nail into Sony's heart and drop the xbox 360 price by $100 this spring. . .that will basically ensure Sony's death in the console market.

I agree that the PS3 is building on a mountain of mistakes, but being a hater is getting pretty old hat. It is what it is...and that is $600.00. Apart from EVERYTHING else, the price point is going to sink Sony as the king of the console market.

One thing history should have taught the home console market is that it's been proven TIME and TIME again that consumers may be willing to bump the investment maybe 25-50% higher in price every 4-5 years when the next gens hit, but massive price point increases have always without fail sunk consoles. You can make the argument that if your GFX whore that the Wii doesn't interest you as much, but the fact is, you can get the Wii for awesome gameplay and just as stunning graphics on the 360...and have them both for the same or less investmentment than a PS3.

Despite the problems, I'm sure the PS3 is potentially an AWESOME console, but Sony got a little too sure of themselves with the success of the PS1 and 2 and winning the console wars for the last few years. They may have their fanboys, but even many of the most hardcore fanboys are going to bail for that $600 price point. That and strike 2 was the low availability to start was another huge mistake.

Once the GOTTA HAVE IT A LAUNCH fever wears off from when you got shut out at the store for one, people will be able to reconsider the purchase.

Sony could have easily overcome all the other issues if they had been at that $400.00 price point with the 360. They could have done it if they had just dumped blue ray off the shelf...nice feature, but if I'm going to game hardcore, I don't really like the thought of burning up my console's life watching DVDs as well if I don't have to.

Last edited:
Awesome post and very informative I must tell ya. Nice job gathering all that info. Reguardless, I don't think they're going to go bankrupt or anything 'cuz they still own the T.V. industry and other electronics. Gotta say that PS3 is more likely than ever to fail, and if that happens, I'm sure the PSP will too. They're just thinking too far into the future (kinda like Dreamcast) and its not in the majority of people's interest to buy a supped up console and super graphically enchanced games for the price they are going by. By the time they fail, its gonna be Wii60 and DS. Anyone else with me on that??

Omegamonk said:
Reguardless, I don't think they're going to go bankrupt or anything 'cuz they still own the T.V. industry and other electronics.

actually sony is declining from home electronics as well.

Dec 27, 2006 - PS3 Greymarket Watch: Scalpers Returning PS3s Back To Stores.
Dec 27, 2006 - Gamers who queued for days to buy Sony's PS3 are frantically trying to trade them for the much cheaper Wii.
Dec 28, 2006 - Sony's PS3: High-Scorer No More

Lmao...
except for one thing.
From PS3's point of view, 360 and Wii are to expensive, mainly Wii.
For what the value of the PS3 really is, it's dirt cheap. 360 dosen't give you as GOOD as a value, and Wii I say just completely rips you off.

Sovieto said:
Lmao...
except for one thing.
From PS3's point of view, 360 and Wii are to expensive, mainly Wii.
For what the value of the PS3 really is, it's dirt cheap. 360 dosen't give you as GOOD as a value, and Wii I say just completely rips you off.

You're a dipshit.

That's pretty much all I have to say about that.

ok yeah for the value of the ps3 as a mulitmeida console its dirt cheap as for the xbox 360 its sold as a gaming console at first then you have addons thatlll make it a multimedia .. now dont give me crap about the price after the addons once again it is addons you dont need to buy it.. as in sony putting to much **** on there console that i can do with pc shoudlve made it addon then i would be seeing ps3 at walmart sitting there looking like collecting dust . now dont compare pc to console as you will garuntee lose this arguement . now look at the dreamcast i preffer the dreamcast over the ps1 but the dreamcast was ahead of its time thas why tis died and because of sega keep on releasing consoles out of there asses were draining consumers wallets dry

Back