Battalion Wars 2 IGN Review

Secumfex

Ninja? I'm a Pirate! Yarr
Jan 14, 2007
Wii Online Code
6205-5687-4726-5914
8.0 Presentation
All-new storyline with stylized cinemas, slick menu interface, online modes and more. Some character acting can annoy.

7.5 Graphics
We really like the combo of gritty worlds and cartoon-ish character designs. Some locales look better than others. Framerate occasionally suffers.

7.5 Sound
Strong music clashes with over-the-top character acting.

8.0 Gameplay
A fun mix of strategic planning and action. Naval fleets are a great addition. Online modes are fun, but lacking some features.

8.0 Lasting Appeal
The single-player mode isn't as difficult as the one in the first game. You can still play levels again for higher ranks and hidden content. But the online modes will keep you busy.

Impressive OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Closing Comments
Like its predecessor, Battalion Wars 2 brings to the virtual battlefield an entertaining combination of strategic planning and real-time action. I really think that in terms of overall storyline, not to mention the variety of missions, soldiers, weapons and vehicles, this sequel has really one- upped its predecessor. When you additionally consider the mostly- intuitive controls, sleek presentation and fun online modes, you have the recipe for a great new installment to the sleeper franchise.

At the same time, though, there's still room for improvement. I think that developer Kuju has failed to capitalize on or misused Wii's control enhancements -- seldom pinpoint IR-based soldier deployment and jumps and dives assigned to gestures on the nunchuk, for example. (There's no buttons left on the Wii remote or nunchuk -- not a lot the studio could have done -- but it's still an issue.) Furthermore, you can't play through the single-player campaign in the online cooperative mode; instead, you have to battle with a friend in a handful of specially designed cooperative stages. And, of course, none of the multiplayer modes support a headset -- a fundamental shortcoming.

Perhaps the biggest issue I have with the game, though, is that despite the inclusion of naval fleets and the online offerings, it hasn't changed much from the original outing, whose novelty has faded some. The same complaint could be leveraged against Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, whose basic game design and look was similar to its predecessors. Corruption, though, at least implemented revolutionary control, which significantly enhanced the experience.

Even with a few missteps, Battalion Wars 2 remains a quality title that I can recommend to anybody who liked the original or to any Wii owners interested in an action game that requires a little more smarts to complete.

Full Review: http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/831/831847p1.html

Well, I hoped it'd be better, but 8.0 is fine, too.

Its only an 8.0 because they didn't make the controls innovative and overall its not much more than a good follow-up to BWI.

Yeah i rated it about the same. It's still fun as hell. 8.0 is not bad at all compared to the other crap that's been released for the Wii

Back