Battalion Wars 2!

PersianCowboy

WiiChat Member
Nov 28, 2006
Oklahoma City
Wii Online Code
6258-4013-0776-5311
I have never played Battalion Wars for the Gamecube, mainly because there was no online play and no sandbox options. But thats going to change when Batallion Wars hits the Wii.

"You get to drive tanks, command ships, pilot planes and move about hundreds of troops as you are plonked right into the crux of the action. Fully equipped with an online mode, the game features three multiplayer modes for play over the Internet. Assault allows you instant combat access, skirmish adds some tactical depth and co-op lets you go to war with the help of a friend. Once again there is the combination of combat on land, sea and in the air and there are loads of new landscapes and units to be enjoyed. The game promises 20+ single player and 15+ (different) multiplayer missions along with ‘increased replay value’."

This could easily be one of 2007's killer apps for the Wii, and correct me if I'm wrong, but it is a 3rd Party title, isn't it? Following the success of this could bring in even more 3rd party exclusive support for the Wii.

Let me also share some of my worries for the title.

Worry #1 (my biggest worry): I heard in Battalion Wars for the Gamecube, there is a auto-lock feature (your guns are constantly aiming and locked on to your target). They HAVE to do away with this. It will definitely repulse many hardcore gamers. It takes away from the gameplay and immersion, and it just takes that great feeling of accomplishment away after you defeat your enemy that reminds you that you got skill. Plus, the Wiimote is great loads of fun for aiming. If there is a autlo-lock feature in the game, I probably will not be buying this title. This would subtract greatly from the gameplay, and gameplay = fun.

Worry #2: The cartoonish artstyle is great, but hey, its War, and there isn't anything sweet about war, so they better put something mature in there. I'm not asking for a "M" rating, just something that makes it a little bit more, well, war-like, or a little bit less humorous. Because war isn't funny, especially in this day and age.

Worry #3: Don't rush it! Take your time. What do you think made Halo 2 such a killer app? All that time they spent on it to make sure it was a great game (and of course great online play, but thats worry #4). Put some physics into the game, incorporate a good graphics engine. When I blow someone up, I want to see their rag doll body bounce all over the place, thats gameplay.

Worry #4: I want the great online play, I want to be randomly matched up with lots of people for a great battlefield experience. I don't want this game to have its own specific Gamer code, I want it to use your Wii's 16-digit Wii Code, so that I can play with all my friends from other Wii games, similar to the workings of Xbox Live. I want to be able to talk, so I can make plans with my teammates, tell them whats going on on my side of the field, make plans, etc. I don't care if I know the person or not. I don't care if this person is on my friends list or not. I need to talk to them!

I think this game has great potential to be a huge battlefield experience unlike any other game before it, if pulled of right, it will be a huge selling-point for the Wii. This game could be what GTA III was for the Ps2. Lets just hope they do it right.

Well, thats about it, please discuss this game here.

Last edited:
PersianCowboy said:
So I guess no one cares about this game...
I would care if i actually played the original on the G-cube. I dunno. The game does seem pretty interesting though.

I've had a gamecube since launch, but recently with my wii i've been more interested in playing some of the titles I missed on gcn. I bought batallion wars yesterday at a gamestop brand new for 14.99! I must say that it is a lot of fun, more fun than I thought it would be. It has the advance wars feel to it, but with more action and less watching. Seems like a great game so far, and Im excited at the idea for a wiiquel.

I'm interested and am almost positive it'll be a must-have, which is why I'm getting it.

The gameplay should be good just like the last one.
Graphics look good judging from the videos and screen shots.

Controllers, how would air vehicles work? The same as infantry? (nunchunk moves and remote aims and shoots)

Being that online play is new for Nintendo I'm worried about that, unless this company has made online-titles for other platforms.

Looks like a game worth buying. Videos and screen shots make it look good. It is on my list :)

I think its going to be an awesome game. The graphics are so different, I kind of like it, but it's going to need to have some interesting characteristics incorporated with the gameplay for it to be a success. And I agree, the auto-lock would be a complete bummer.

Pelts said:
I think its going to be an awesome game. The graphics are so different, I kind of like it, but it's going to need to have some interesting characteristics incorporated with the gameplay for it to be a success. And I agree, the auto-lock would be a complete bummer.

Yeah thanks, the Wiimote is soo good for aiming an autolock would just ruin this great Wii-exclusive feature.

Also it would be cool to hold the wiimote like a joystick to control Air Vehicles.

This is on list of games I want. I think it could be the Wii's Goldeneye. It should be very good.

For some reason I absolutely couldn't stand the first one... no idea why.

Seemed just too messy for me, I like stradegies on a computer.

Well its not really a strategy game like your used to. Its more of a 3rd Person Shooter Strategy.

I know one thing though, if this game has Autlock aim on it then I'm not getting it. Does anyone know whether it will or not? On IGN they didn't say anything about it.

Back