Beijing 2008 snubs Nintendo. DS and Wii users must settle for Mario and Sonic.

vashivihan

Let There Be Rock
Oct 24, 2007
canada
Wii Online Code
8799-9801-1544-7718
SEGA clearly thinks the Wii and the DS are just for kids. The upcoming sports minigame adaptation of the next Summer games will be available for the Xbox 360, the PS3, and the PC – but not the Wii or the DS. With Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games already available on those platforms, SEGA clearly feels that ‘the kids’ will be satisfied a caricature of the greatest show on Earth.

The full title is ‘Beijing 2008™ - the Official Video Game of the Olympic Games.’ The biggest new feature it will offer is full online play for all three versions. The game will simulate ‘over 35 events,’ all of which will take place in re-creations of the over-engineered venues being constructed for the Olympics.

Nintendo gamers needn’t feel too left out. While it’s to be published by SEGA, Beijing 2008 is being developed by Eurocom Entertainment Software. Eurocom created the video game adaptation of the Athens Olympics, as well as middling action games based on Ice Age, Robots, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Batman Begins.

An aspiring world power, the People’s Republic of China has been working on several fronts to increase its global profile. Whether sending men into space, submarines into Japanese territorial waters, or protesters into prison, the communist dictatorship has spared no expense in putting itself on the map. The Beijing Games are meant to be the cherry on the super-power cake, but pollution and social unrest may yet spoil the party. Even if protestors manage to mar proceedings, at least the video game adaptation will present a front of hermetically sealed civility.

Beijing 2008 will go on sale this Winter.

this sucks so badly. heres the link
http://www.gameplayer.com.au/Home/NEWS/NEWS/tabid/1482/Default.aspx?CID=7e8b776c-4228-4f91-a6ba-f43e0adae6a5

It's nothing to care about. If I was SEGA, I would have done the same things. Why make an Olympics game for the Wii/DS when you already cooperated with Nintendo to make a special Olympics game? Why bother when Mario and Sonic is making a lot of sales? Besides that, SEGA has a mediocre team making the game whereas Nintendo helped make Mario and Sonic (thus ensuring some quality).

It's almost a guarantee that Mario and Sonic will outsell all 3 versions of Beijing 2008 combined. The game is pretty popular in Japan.

RedProdigy said:
It's almost a guarantee that Mario and Sonic will outsell all 3 versions of Beijing 2008 combined. The game is pretty popular in Japan.

I highly doubt that.

Do Olympics games even sell that well?

Edit: I think I retract my question...or at least, I figure it'd do a heck of a lot better internationally than it seems to do here in the States

Last edited:
SuperWii_7 said:
I highly doubt that.

How do you figure, the sales right now (over 2 million copies) will probably be better than all the 2008 games put together. I would put a serious bet down that all the versions of Beijing '08 will combine to no more than 1.5 million copies.

Mario and Sonic is absolutely terrible, it's not a representation of the Olympics at all. In fact, it's just an endorsed sports game, I want the proper one.

Mario and Sonic was a terrible game but i have never played a good olympics game, and by the looks of it 2008 will be no differnt. Look at the team that is making it every game they made on that list is horrible so why would they make a good game now.

The reason we wont be getting it is obviously the online play but who is going to be buying this game anyways i know i wont i made that mistake in 2000 and i will never make it again. So you can be upset that SEGA is not bring us this terrible game or you can realize its a terrible game.

Frogger said:
Mario and Sonic is absolutely terrible, it's not a representation of the Olympics at all. In fact, it's just an endorsed sports game, I want the proper one.

Well no matter how you look at it, they're video games. Whether I'm using cartoony graphics and gimicky motion controls to throw a spear a few hundred meters or rapid button taps on a controller to either move faster or jump hurdles...they're all equally as far removed from the "true representation" you speak of.

Whether I time the flick of a remote accurately or use an onscreen meter to tap a button accurately, aren't they both "improper?"

HUGE missed opportunity for a combined Wii-mote Nunchuck and Balance Board game. I hate Olympic games, but for ONCE they might be entertaining with this combo of controllers.

I don't think Wii owners will miss it really. Seriously, does the Wii really need another 'active' based game? Mario & Sonic is pretty decent in groups IMO, there's Wii Fit, good ol' Wii Sports, and who knows what else.

Back