Best Character Theory

The Plague

Village Idiot
Apr 7, 2007
Wii Online Code
1182-9984-2366-3934
Im not sure if this is completely true, just going by what I think, maybe im wrong..Maybe there is a "best" character. Who knows....

So, i've played my share of Brawl..Got the game today, played with all the stock characters, and tried all their moves, etc.

I lurk on many forums and always see debates on what character is the best, this and that, etc...

Anyways, after playing through all the characters i've come to the conclusion that......
.................Wait for it.................!!!!

There is no best character...The game developers would never make one character a lot better than the other, I found the characters to be perfectly balanced..

For example:

Zelda/Sheik has the Down+B move, it doesn't do any damage, just transforms her... Zelda into Sheik and vice-versa..

Because of this slot being taken up by a transformation, Zelda/Sheik has to make up for it. Her speed as Zelda is decent, and you notice a speed increase in Sheik. The Up+B move just makes Sheik/Zelda *POOF*, trading another attack slot for a defensive tactic...However, notice how even though she trades attack slots for defensive tactics, her speedy combos make her one tough opponent. You can throw needles at somebody, follow it up with a bunch of kick/punch jabs (her kicks and punch combos do a good amount of damage) and a little bit of repitition followed by a smash attack should do the job..

Okay, so, I still haven't compared any characters, but that information was important for what i'm going to explain next..

Our next subject, King Dedede, trades speed for strong attacks, yet he isnt extremely slow...His strength is balanced by his speed. Take somebody even slower, such as Bowser. His sluggishness is somewhat made up for in his attack strength. Bowser is even slower than King Dedede, so its only logical the game developers make him stronger. Bowser isn't an easy opponent to knock out of the ring, but when he is knocked out, his quick little spin, which seems to only elevate him about a foot or two, can be followed with a jump to get him back on the level. (Better luck next time)

The only character that doesn't have much going for them is the Ice Climbers. Together the duo does put up a threat, but once seperated, its childs play.

So all of you do put up good arguments if you look at it from a certain perspective, but realize combos/speed/strength are evenly balanced between the characters. The characters play as well as you utilize them. You can't really say a character sucks (except Ice Climbers). If anything, YOU suck with the character...I've seen people inflict serious damage and get some insane KO's with Bowser and Donkey Kong, and some speedy ones with Fox and Sheik. Utilize their moves correctly, know when to use them, know what to use, know their combos, grabs, etc...

.....And the rest is up to you to make them a good character. WELP, THATS MY RANDOM RAMBLING FOR THE NIGHT, but I think some of you really needed insight on this.

The Plague said:
Im not sure if this is completely true, just going by what I think, maybe im wrong..Maybe there is a "best" character. Who knows....

So, i've played my share of Brawl..Got the game today, played with all the stock characters, and tried all their moves, etc.

I lurk on many forums and always see debates on what character is the best, this and that, etc...

Anyways, after playing through all the characters i've come to the conclusion that......
.................Wait for it.................!!!!

There is no best character...The game developers would never make one character a lot better than the other, I found the characters to be perfectly balanced..

For example:

Zelda/Sheik has the Down+B move, it doesn't do any damage, just transforms her... Zelda into Sheik and vice-versa..

Because of this slot being taken up by a transformation, Zelda/Sheik has to make up for it. Her speed as Zelda is decent, and you notice a speed increase in Sheik. The Up+B move just makes Sheik/Zelda *POOF*, trading another attack slot for a defensive tactic...However, notice how even though she trades attack slots for defensive tactics, her speedy combos make her one tough opponent. You can throw needles at somebody, follow it up with a bunch of kick/punch jabs (her kicks and punch combos do a good amount of damage) and a little bit of repitition followed by a smash attack should do the job..

Okay, so, I still haven't compared any characters, but that information was important for what i'm going to explain next..

Our next subject, King Dedede, trades speed for strong attacks, yet he isnt extremely slow...His strength is balanced by his speed. Take somebody even slower, such as Bowser. His sluggishness is somewhat made up for in his attack strength. Bowser is even slower than King Dedede, so its only logical the game developers make him stronger. Bowser isn't an easy opponent to knock out of the ring, but when he is knocked out, his quick little spin, which seems to only elevate him about a foot or two, can be followed with a jump to get him back on the level. (Better luck next time)

The only character that doesn't have much going for them is the Ice Climbers. Together the duo does put up a threat, but once seperated, its childs play.

So all of you do put up good arguments if you look at it from a certain perspective, but realize combos/speed/strength are evenly balanced between the characters. The characters play as well as you utilize them. You can't really say a character sucks (except Ice Climbers). If anything, YOU suck with the character...I've seen people inflict serious damage and get some insane KO's with Bowser and Donkey Kong, and some speedy ones with Fox and Sheik. Utilize their moves correctly, know when to use them, know what to use, know their combos, grabs, etc...

.....And the rest is up to you to make them a good character. WELP, THATS MY RANDOM RAMBLING FOR THE NIGHT, but I think some of you really needed insight on this.
i agree there is no best character if your good enough for the person you can be really good exept the ice climber they suck dick

Ice climbers are good what are you talking about? Obviously they aren't good when separated but that balances them out because they can cause a lot of damage together.

I'ts all opinion. Some characters do have advantages over others.
Example. Ganondorf vs Pikachu
Gan is strong.. But slow. While Pikachu is fast.
It all depends on who you can control the best. My brother can play Captain Falcon but I am useless at him, but he is no good at Lucario and I am.

So you're right. There is no "best character" There is only opinion.

EDIT: I agree, Ice Climbers suck ass. :p

Its not a theory, its common sense.

It would be impossible to make every character equal to one another. Keep in mind that this is not judging by the skill of each player, but in the situation that each player plays each character to the exact same level of skill.

I've got my money on Pit for top tier. The kid's got no weaknesses.

Marth will definitely be towards the top of the tier list.

Well, I do believe all characters can be good, but now I've played the game substantially, brawl and SSE, I can see some characters lend themselves to being better.

Marth, Pit, Falco and Pikachu have a lot going for them I think. Pit, however, is one of those you have to use well or it will feel awkward.
Nevertheless, I'm having more fun with others...Pokemon Trainer, Wolf and Sonic have been a lot of fun.

no one likes Ike? i see him as being OU in this game if a person is good at predicting.

Damascus said:
A SSBB game guide stated that
Marth
had a 9/10 overall. Isn't that... overpowered? I highly doubt that Marth is "the best".
In my opinion, he is the best. When i go back to complete the unfinished levels in SSE, i use him. He is the easiest to use for me.

your avatar is moving to the music i am listening to:lol:

lol@pit. pit and marth will not be top tier. wolf will. PT meh....pikachu is the only pokemon of all 6 thats decent. dedede could be top. sonic and metaknight arent deadly enough while most others are too slow. lets not forget maps. lots of bad maps for determining good chars due to all the added spam that most have now.

Tier list will always exist in game where characters are diverse.

I think Marth will still stay top tier-ish, they didn't nerf him much. His ariels are still good. But I don't know much, so don't take my words for it.

Back