Best way to get online? Is it worth it?

DarkNghtRJ

WiiChat Member
Feb 15, 2009
I saw the sticky above but assumed that was for more having problems with current connections.

I do not have a wireless router and I do not have any sort of wifi connector. What is the cheapest solution to get my Wii online? I have looked for the USB connectors but seems they have been discontinued and are not cheap on ebay and all. So far with what I have found, seems like my best bet is a Wii LAN Adapter for $25.

And even if I do get on, what are the benifits? I know there is virtual console and Wii Ware but for most of those dont you need gamecube or classic controller? What else can I do?

I saw the sticky above but assumed that was for more having problems with current connections.

I do not have a wireless router and I do not have any sort of wifi connector. What is the cheapest solution to get my Wii online? I have looked for the USB connectors but seems they have been discontinued and are not cheap on ebay and all. So far with what I have found, seems like my best bet is a Wii LAN Adapter for $25.

And even if I do get on, what are the benifits? I know there is virtual console and Wii Ware but for most of those dont you need gamecube or classic controller? What else can I do?
Well, wired connections are generally more stable. Plus you don't have to messed about with wireless settings for wired, which is a bonus for non-techy people.

There's quite a low of VC/Wiiware games can be played with a Wiimote. Certainly ever NES title. Unsure about the others. I pressume you're stapped for cash? I suggest getting a second hand cube controller or something, they're usually fairly cheap nowadays. This will enable you to play pretty much all of the VC/Wiiware games.

You can buy one of these for $16: http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Net-Conne..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1235048150&sr=8-1

Its worth it if you want to play games online. If you have mario kart, call of duty, etc they are a lot of fun online. wiiware is nothing great in my opinion but thats just me. there are some cool games there and nice old games, just not something i reallly have time for.

You might just be better off going wireless as you can buy a wireless routher for pretty cheap. check out circuit city, everything there is discounted right now.

Last edited:
I dont know if I will be playing online or anything like that. I'll use my 360 for that. lol

My main interest is the VC and extra channels and stuff.

Also nice find, $17 for that adapter.

do you have any type of router at all???
if you do not, you will have to deal with the hassel of unplugging and plugging in your pc and 360 and wii, since you'll only be able to use 1 at a time. i'd suggest a wireless router. they can be pretty cheap $45 US or less.

if you already have a wired router, i'd go with that Nyko LAN adapter. and hopefully you have enough cat5 to run the distance you need.

do you have any type of router at all???
if you do not, you will have to deal with the hassel of unplugging and plugging in your pc and 360 and wii, since you'll only be able to use 1 at a time. i'd suggest a wireless router. they can be pretty cheap $45 US or less.

if you already have a wired router, i'd go with that Nyko LAN adapter. and hopefully you have enough cat5 to run the distance you need.

Yeah I don't have wired or wireless. I used to have a wired but it apparently wasn't hooked up to a surge protector and got zapped. I am used to switching the wire with my PC and 360 tho. But I might just wait till I can get a router, wouldn't cost much more if it really is $45 and it is better in the long run.

Oh btw, I have a 50 footer cable. haha

Awesome. Thanks for the help. I prob will invest in a new router. That way I can get my Wii online and I wont have to deal with switching my pc/360 anymore.

Back