Bioshock - A honest review

wiiturd

WiiChat Member
May 28, 2007
Great game overall, graphics top notch (allthough not quite as good as Gears IMO, maybe because everythings so dark) Great story, Great sound and espeacially the music, Very original concept/setting, My only complaint (and this is a major catch for me) is this game has very, very little replay value. I've just about beat it twice now (so I can see the 2 different endings) but honestly once I finish it for the second time I really don't see myself playing this game for a long time (or ever again) which really is a shame because this game is really, really fun the first time through. The lack of a multiplayer does'nt even really dissapoint me much , would it be nice? ya but not a huge deal for me. The lack of replayability aspect that bugs me the most is there are no unlockable weapons/plasmids or anything for beating the game. The reason resident evil 4 is one of my all time favs is all the unlockable stuff you could get for beating it, brand new weapons , outfits, the ability to start a new game with all your items from the previous playthrough , new missions, all that sweet stuff kept me busy enough to beat the game ten or so times and still be thirsty for more. Where are all or even some of these features in Bioshock? It really is a shame , had they incorparated some/all of these aspect this could/would be one of my all time favs. In closing great game, you'll have a terrific time on your first maybe even 2nd playthrough but with almost 00% replay value it holds this one back from being truly great IMO. Will definatly be looking forward to a sequel, hopefully they address some of my/other gamers complaints. Everyone who has a 360 should check this one out, only rent instead of buying because you won't get more than a week or twos use out of it. Overall 7.5/10

so youd give twilight princess a similar score? no offense but you fail to back up your score. you mainly complain about unlockables, something that (from what you describe) was only in RE4...which was a full blown shooter. there are 2 endings for bioshock and achievements..

i really like bioshock even tho ive only played it for about an hr. i like electricuting and beating the corpses and watching big father drill people in the chest. lol

A few points
1)Not sure why you derive that I would give LOZTP a similar score, LOZTP was wayyyyyyyyyy longer with way more optional side quests/unlockables. I mean seriously I could beat Bioshock 5 times before I could beat LOZTP at 50% completion.
2)Not sure how long you've been gaming but Apparently you think resi 4 is the only game with unlockable content , umm its not just so you know.
3)Resi 4 was not a "full blown shooter" Its played in the third person perspective for starters, it does'nt use the 2 analogue setup like traditonal FPS; halos, Gears and gasp...Bioshock (not that I dislike the 2 analogue setup just pointing out that resi 4 does'nt use it) If anything Bioshock is more of a "full blown shooter" than resi 4. (Not that I don't enjoy a "full blown shooter")
4)I actually did point out there are 2 different endings in my review-if you can read (Also the first ending I saw was only about 20-30 seconds, left me with sortof a "thats it?" feeling, hoping for better things on the "rescue every little sister" ending) . As for the achievements ya It's something, but all 360 games have the achievements, and its not like you actually unlock any new content in the game by getting them it just adds to your gamerscore , ohhh sweet I can download some gay wallpaper backgrounds for my 360, really could care less about gamerpoints.
5) If I was baseing this review on playing through the game once I probably would give it around 9.5/10, but since I pay $60 for games these days I expect to get more 15 or so hours out of a game before I've done everything significant there is to do in it. As I stated in my review "this game is really, really fun the first time through" after that due to the lack of everything I talked about it just gets stale rather quickly. Believe me I wanted to love this game more than anyone but after dropping $60 for something that gets old after the first or second go around it just seemed like kinda a let down.

Last edited:
read first paragraph which is all i will comment on. bioshock is 10-15 hours depending on how you play through it with 2 endings and achievements. loz is 40 hours with most side quests complete (check the reviews from when it came out, most say this) but with only 1 play through. 1 epic game compared to a game that you can replay and still have fun with, i think they even out.

@Sovieto: This from Wikipedia
"According to statements from Nintendo, such as from translator and localization manager Bill Trinen, it took the Twilight Princess game-testers an average of 70 hours to beat the game on the first run-through."

70 hours is a little longer than 40. Ya you can beat the game with a walkthrough in less than 70 of course , but for the average gamer without a walkthrough trying to do most/all quests your lookin at between 60-80 hours

As I stated in my review: "Everyone who has a 360 should check this one out, only rent instead of buying because you won't get more than a week or twos use out of it." Hey if you like spending $60 on a game thats fun for a week or 2, good for you, but I just kinda felt let down at how little replay value this game has, and I think a lot of other gamers are starting to get this feeling after playing it. For me replayability factor of a game is almost a make or break point, thats why me and my buddies still play the original smash bros on n64 ten years after its been out.

Sovieto, you're just wrong. Bioshock and LoZ:TP, do not even come CLOSE to "evening out". I played them both quite extensively, and LoZ trumps the crap out of Bioshock in every single department other than "ultra hi-res graphics". I only saw one ending, as I was already so bored by the end a second run-through was not sounding very interesting.
And no, WiiTurd, the rescued-girls ending is not ANY LONGER, it's the only one I've seen, and it was also about 20-30 seconds.
LAME.
WTF, these companies can create an elaborate, detailed, story-driven, character-heavy game, and leave you with so little ending and 'resolution' that if you reach down to pet your cat you MISS IT ALL?!?
I was sooooo disappointed with that. I want atleast $10 back, hah.........

wiiturd said:
@Sovieto: This from Wikipedia
"According to statements from Nintendo, such as from translator and localization manager Bill Trinen, it took the Twilight Princess game-testers an average of 70 hours to beat the game on the first run-through."

70 hours is a little longer than 40. Ya you can beat the game with a walkthrough in less than 70 of course , but for the average gamer without a walkthrough trying to do most/all quests your lookin at between 60-80 hours

As I stated in my review: "Everyone who has a 360 should check this one out, only rent instead of buying because you won't get more than a week or twos use out of it." Hey if you like spending $60 on a game thats fun for a week or 2, good for you, but I just kinda felt let down at how little replay value this game has, and I think a lot of other gamers are starting to get this feeling after playing it. For me replayability factor of a game is almost a make or break point, thats why me and my buddies still play the original smash bros on n64 ten years after its been out.
so? they were testing it, read the reviews and ask people whove beaten it on here, most say around 40 hours.....

Transfixed said:
Sovieto, you're just wrong. Bioshock and LoZ:TP, do not even come CLOSE to "evening out". I played them both quite extensively, and LoZ trumps the crap out of Bioshock in every single department other than "ultra hi-res graphics". I only saw one ending, as I was already so bored by the end a second run-through was not sounding very interesting.
And no, WiiTurd, the rescued-girls ending is not ANY LONGER, it's the only one I've seen, and it was also about 20-30 seconds.
LAME.
WTF, these companies can create an elaborate, detailed, story-driven, character-heavy game, and leave you with so little ending and 'resolution' that if you reach down to pet your cat you MISS IT ALL?!?
I was sooooo disappointed with that. I want atleast $10 back, hah.........
obviously you missed my point. he was bagging on bioshock for the same reasons you could bag on zelda. also, ive only played through it once, im saving my second play through for later so i can try to re-experience it.. and no one ive met has beat bioshock and said its not amazing so until i see a gamertag with it beat on it i wont believe whatever you guys say. ;)

Bioshock is over rated. Graphics in it aren't even that good. They spent all that time on water when in some parts it looks as good as a last gen console and they should have focused on other graphical aspects. Like when glass is broken and shatters it looks like paper.. Great graphics and physics eh? why do people have shiny faces. Plus its easy to pull of good graphics when half the game is rusted metal and water, not much to focus on. sure the game is fun and one of the best FPS's this year but people calling it revolutionary is quite over the top. Concept is new but other than that nothing special. what you get to use both guns and a hand with a magical effect, original until another 360 game coming out soon also has that same concept (Clive Barker's Jericho). But hey you can make your own weapons and ammo, or you can call it that and it really is just buying those weapons with assorted items you find.
The only great thing about this game is the story and a new blend of RPG and
FPS. The replay value of this game sucks too. this game deserves a 7 or 8 if that, why sites are giving it 9 and up i dont know. It got over hyped and 2kgames is laughing all the way to the bank because of it. In the end i dont like playing this game past 5 hours it gets boring and the two ending are predictable (at least one is) and thats that.

PS. did you really even compare Zelda to this? They have nothing in common and Zelda is more that a better game. Every aspect of Zelda is better except graphics. Which i personaly think it didn't win out in graphics by much at all.

Ya I just beat the game with the "good guy" ending and that was just as short and lame as the first one. Unless they come out with a bunch of new downloadable missions/content , then I stand by my review. Oh well at least we got Halo 3 to play now right?

Just to be contraversial, the thing is, Twilight Princess was incredibly dull and boring. Bioshock's brilliant for every second you play it.

I would be suprised if many people could totally beat TP in 40 hours without a walkthrough. I think 40 hours is probably the minimum with a walkthrough, it took me 66 hours with no walkthrough whatsoever.

Ive not played Bioshock on the 360 although i have it on PC but ive not played it much as it wont play smoothly on full settings, so im waiting till i get a better graphics card (or a 360) to get the full experience.

Most people seem to say the game can be beaten in 10 hours or so though which seems a bit lacking for such a highly rated game. Id honestly want more than 10 hours of gameplay for $70.

They also seem to criticize the games end (i dont want specific details) but i hope its at least a little satisfying. I remember completing MOH Allied Assualt and it just said 'the end', i was so dissapointed.

We are most likely getting a 360 for Christmas so is Bioshock really worth buying or is it the ultimate rental game?

PinkFloyd said:
The replay value of this game sucks too. this game deserves a 7 or 8 if that, why sites are giving it 9 and up i dont know. It got over hyped and 2kgames is laughing all the way to the bank because of it. In the end i dont like playing this game past 5 hours it gets boring and the two ending are predictable (at least one is) and thats that.QUOTE]

i dont know either, i guess the 50 or so sites that rated this game and all gave it over 9 are just retarded, and it reaching second place on gamerankings is just retarded too. did you ever think that maybe its you? lol

Back