block size

mad1234

WiiChat Member
Oct 9, 2006
Wii world
can anyone tell me the size of a block?:confused:
i want to download some games with my wii points but i have a download limit.i can find out that each game is so many blocks but i don't know how big a block is.

im pretty sure 1 game takes up 1 block, you shdould have plenty of space.

yeah dont worry about space you can always redownload the vc games you already downloaded for free..so you can always delete the ones you dont want and redownload them for free when you wanna play them again

mad1234 said:
can anyone tell me the size of a block?:confused:
1 block is right around 128 KB (or 1024 Kb).

I placed a newly formatted 32MB (PC shows 29.4 MB actual) SD card into the Wii and it showed 235 block open. I did the math and 128.1 KB for each block was what I got. I also put in an empty 1 GB (982 MB actual) SD card and it showed 7857 open block. After doing the math it comes up 127.98 KB per block.

shrimpy20 said:
Does the Wii have 512MB of space?
That's what the technical specs say but I'm not sure if there's 512 MB of free space when you first open up the box. There would have to be 4096 open blocks for that to be true. I don't quite remember how many blocks were open the first time I powered up the Wii though.

he means on his isp he has a dl limit with extra mbs costing him surchare (i have a 60gb cap then slows down which i never use all of it so yay! lol, caps are the smart way to go) if you look at roms: nes games like 1mb max lol, snes probably 10mb max and 64 64mb max for huge games usually 12-32mb lol coincidence there

The Block Size

1 Block equals exactly 128kb. or 1/8 of an MB.

the reason why you get +1 per gb, is because windows only will display MB, and not go down into KB.
also the wii will not utilize partial blocks, thus the .2 block of the 235 card is cut off.
the wii also comes with 192 MB Flash Memory. (available)
Odd really.

Last edited:
Back