Boom Blox Features VR Head Tracking

Icandy

WiiChat Member
Nov 19, 2007
Oklahoma
Posted in Games, Wii by Andrew Macarthy on February 22nd, 2008 at 2:44
Head tracking, a technique that effectively transforms the apparent ‘2D’ image you see on your television screen into an out-of-the-screen virtual reality experience, will feature in Electronic Arts’ upcoming Nintendo Wii title, Boom Blox. If you’ve no idea what we’re talking about, head inside for more details and a full visual explanation. Trust us, though, it’s exciting stuff.

At the end of EA’s lecture on Boom Blox at this week’s Game Developers Conference, one of the firm’s representatives presented a video that demonstrated a special “GDC Easter Egg,” revealing that head tracking had been worked into the Steven Spielberg-backed title.

GoNintendo reports that it is still unclear whether the level(s) in which head tracking is enabled will be custom-made or exist in those already built into the game. In addition, the site writes that gamers will need either LED glasses or a wireless sensor bar to experience the bewildering effect. In fact, whether head tracking will even make the final cut is questionable at this tentative stage in development.

This first short video shows how Boom Blox will feature head tracking:

And this second is a brilliant run down on what exactly head tracking is and how it could be utilised on the Nintendo Wii:

Using the infrared camera in the Wii remote and a head mounted sensor bar (two IR LEDs), you can accurately track the location of your head and render view dependent images on the screen. This effectively transforms your display into a portal to a virtual environment. The display properly reacts to head and body movement as if it were a real window creating a realistic illusion of depth and space.

Boom Blox, it has been revealed will feature single player, co-op and multiplayer modes, in a title said to be perfectly suited to the Wii’s motion sensing controls. Gamers’ brains will be racked over 300 levels and across four themed environments (Tiki, Medieval, Frontier, and Haunted), where we are promised to come across the likes of block-laying chickens and baseball-throwing monkeys.

To extend the gameplay even more, Boom Blox includes a Create Mode in which players can design and build their own block puzzles using blocks, props and characters unlocked during the main game. Whether creating structures simply for artistic purposes or to challenge friends, both can be shared with friends over the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection.

To see the videos, got to:
http://www.nintendic.com/news/1878

neat stuff. but untill it's incorporated into some real games it's not really worth my time, ive already seen johnny lees vids on it and am very impressed.
i actually think a rail shooter with head tracking would be an amazing experience.

w00t if this get released I might even go out and buy boom blox lol! Would be cool to get the first game that uses something like that!

Hats of to johnny lee!

might i suggest head tracking in the next zelda? :yikes:

Bloom Blox is shaping up to be pretty decent by the sound of it. It's good to see a developer making use of this feature.

Sounds cool, but for $50? As much as I wanna try the technology, I'm not paying $50 for an overblown Jenga.

Head Tracking has the potential to be a very nice tech feature in games if the devs decide to use it... I could see Nintendo coming out with a nice pair of glasses similar to what Johnny Chung Lee was using.

Anyone LOST?
Check here for some really cool stuff that Johnny Chung Lee can do with the Wiimote:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/projects/wii/

I think Boom Blox looks great and I am all over this one....
User Created Content is the future of gaming, it allows games to
last much longer due to the amazing ideas of the community...
Support User Created Content and start creating and uploading :smilewinkgrin:

- Blast Works (cool shooter - u build ships, enemies, levels and upload online)
- Spore (i hope i don't have to explain this game, look it up and prepare to be blown away)
- SSBB (you can make ur own levels and upload)
- Boom Blox (includes head tracking and user created levels)
- there are others but its hard to keep track of all these amazing games coming out :)

Back