Bought a used wii, help!!

kurasii

WiiChat Member
Feb 24, 2014
I'm beyond annoyed right now. I bought a used Wii today, and to my dismay it came with an ugly theme loaded on the menu. The person told me I shouldn't reformat because the Wii had Ocarina of Time on it, but after thinking about it, I couldn't get over the theme. So I reformatted. Well, the theme didn't go away! So I just lost OOT for nothing! :(

How do I get rid of this god awful theme? :( Also do you think any kind Nintendo rep would be able to restore the OOT I just obliterated? Probably not, seeing as it wasn't even on MY Wii store account...

Last edited:
A Wii should never have any sort of alternate theme, template, etc. as such things can only be changed via modding. Uninstalling works in the same fashion, unfortunately: you'd need to look into modding yourself to remove it (which is very dangerous for the Wii if you don't know what you're doing).

As for Ocarina of Time, I'm sorry to say it will not be restore-able for two reasons: first and foremost, your Wii was modded and therefore Ninty won't have anything to do with it. Secondly, even if that wasn't an issue, you'd need proof of purchase to re-download OoT... which is kept in your Wii Shop Channel's account. I believe that's all lost upon reformatting.

My apologies for bearing nothing but bad news.

A Wii should never have any sort of alternate theme, template, etc. as such things can only be changed via modding. Uninstalling works in the same fashion, unfortunately: you'd need to look into modding yourself to remove it (which is very dangerous for the Wii if you don't know what you're doing).

As for Ocarina of Time, I'm sorry to say it will not be restore-able for two reasons: first and foremost, your Wii was modded and therefore Ninty won't have anything to do with it. Secondly, even if that wasn't an issue, you'd need proof of purchase to re-download OoT... which is kept in your Wii Shop Channel's account. I believe that's all lost upon reformatting.

My apologies for bearing nothing but bad news.

Oh dear :( I don't want to brick it!! The theme is bad because it's really dark and had a bright design over the dark background, making things unreadable sometimes. Also, it feels like I'm using someone elses Wii instead of my own, ya know?

Maybe someone will have an answer to help me remove the theme :( Upon looking around on the Wii, in the settings menu, it says "Wii Theme Team"...

This "Wii Theme Team" would likely be a group of modders who made the theme installed on your Wii, or at the very least have something to do for it. I'd recommend Googling for a forum those particular fellows inhabit, as someone there may be kind enough to guide you on uninstalling the theme.

This "Wii Theme Team" would likely be a group of modders who made the theme installed on your Wii, or at the very least have something to do for it. I'd recommend Googling for a forum those particular fellows inhabit, as someone there may be kind enough to guide you on uninstalling the theme.

Alright, I appreciate your help..!

Maybe we aren't allowed to talk about it, but if anything, if someone could pm me a resolution to this I would be so thankful!

I fixed my problem! :) I used a program to create a wad file using my wii version, and then used a wad manager to install that file on the wii. Good as new! I had to look really hard online to get that answer, most forum topics weren't sure how to fix the problem :(

Back