Brawl online play rankings

i think there should be world rankings that exist under tournament like conditions. no items, only certain maps and so on. have ratings and records and keep it as simple as that. the rest of the matches could be stored on your wii like Wii-Fi said.

Paulpro said:
Well I would have competition if it matched you with people around your rank... and I still think that a lot of people would like to know where they rank in the world...

I mean seriously that's the good thing about any game is it's highscores (the competition and if it's worldwide it's that much better...

I don't even need a ranking system, but I'd like it to show me people's records as well as my own. I dont need like "this person is 1st " but seeing a number record would be cool. then again maybe it would turn people off because youd be paired with a dude like 100 and 15 adn then quit.

i would be surprised if they didnt add rankings given the extra time. you should be able to choose ranked and unranked matches with "Anyone" i think.

Wii-Fi said:
just have win-loss, damage, etc, like what you see after a battle in melee, but have the wii keep the records. it would just be like bragging rights, for fun.

yeah thats the type of thing i want. maybe im getting ranking confused with record keeping.

EDIT: but if you have your own profile on your system wont it save that stuff?

i'm getting confused

balrogs.pa said:
what do you mean. you take +1 hour to add a wii friend code? or mabye it takes +5 minutes to ask your friend ''um... hey there.. i was wondeering mabye sometimes tonight we could, you know, go and play some super smash bros brawl wi-fi instead of at out house together?'' that was sarcasm to let you know.

I said it would take forever to find my real friends on my wii if I had a few hundred wii friends that I didn't know...

FR. said:
I'm actually glad there are no World Rankings because it's the type of thing that makes people quit in the middle of a game. If somebody is a sore loser, these ranks will only encourage them to quit during a game so there loss will not affect there position on the World Rankings.

That would be a forfiet and count the same as a loss

the ranking was cool for a bit, but then you see the striker of the day who plays forever, no offence axtlar, then you play these people that just care about their rank and quit or play unfairly... not fun.

Okay, the way I think it shoudl be, for clarification is:

-Rankings should be kept for online battles that are against anyone, unless you choose ahead of time to not count rankings for that battle.
-You could challenge specific people by there rank if they had challenges turned on
-When you entered a fight you would be paired with whoever is online and is closest to you in rank and location
-While in a fight if one player disconnects in any way the game will continue however they will be just like a puppet (that doesn't move) to the other player so it's kind of like a guaranteed win
-After a fight your rank goes up/down depending on if you win or lose and the distance between your and your opponents ranks

The advantages:

-People in fights will be as close to your rank as possible so if you have a high rank you won't be fighting new/bad players
-People won't go on it to mess around and annoy people because if they do their rank will go down putting them at the bottom with the other people that do the same stuff
-People could see how they ranked in the world
-You could still have the option to play just for fun so people could pratice fighting without actually losing rank
-They could set up online tournaments and a lot of things that work off of this...

FR. said:
I'm actually glad there are no World Rankings because it's the type of thing that makes people quit in the middle of a game. If somebody is a sore loser, these ranks will only encourage them to quit during a game so there loss will not affect there position on the World Rankings.
i agree 100%

Shoko said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR.

i agree 100%

Did you read what I said at all about that being a forfeit and counting as an automatic loss and a win for the other person?

And if you are going to say that this will result in people fighting there friends and having them forfeit to gain easy rank... It won't, because their friends will be lower ranks than them so tehy'll hardly gain any rank and if the difference is too big they won't gain any...

In other words to gain rank you play against people that are higher rank than you or the players that you are placed against when you click the autofind button...

I think ranking is a good thing, It reminds you of how much you died compaired to how many you PK'd and it get's your spirit up when you eventually have a crap load more PK's than Deaths but it is a show offy thing to have, And it's always good to eventually learn on your own how good or... Bad your enemy may be-

he said for this "mode" in the first comment about not having online rankings.
the fact that he stated that there is no rankings, and said that it wont be for THIS mode is good a enough reason for me to believe that there will be an online mode in smash bros with some kind of online ranking. i think that mode of wifi is just for fooling around with friends and people around the world, and there will be another competitive mode for those crazy hardcore smash bros fans that want to see how good they are compared to the world.
so my thoughts is that this mode is just for having fun, practising, and getting ready for the hardcore mode.

Okay, let me go ahead and explain a few things that don't make sense and make these "World Rankings" or whatever the hell a huge pain. You shouldn't base the rankings on a Win : Lose ratio because there's many ways you can corrupt it therefore, you should put it by a point standard. Points can be earned by causing damage to the player, kills, Final Smashes [from what I've read they're actually quite hard to get], and wins. Wins do contribute to the player's points but, they aren't the only way to achieve them. I think this is the best way in going about making the "World rankings". I think also that they could give you points for doing certain things during battles that are not so easy to get.. maybe.. double kills?

Yes, it sounds a lot like Halo and Gears of Wars rankings but, they do have the best ranking system for a reason.

....wiiiiiii..... said:
he said for this "mode" in the first comment about not having online rankings.
the fact that he stated that there is no rankings, and said that it wont be for THIS mode is good a enough reason for me to believe that there will be an online mode in smash bros with some kind of online ranking. i think that mode of wifi is just for fooling around with friends and people around the world, and there will be another competitive mode for those crazy hardcore smash bros fans that want to see how good they are compared to the world.
so my thoughts is that this mode is just for having fun, practising, and getting ready for the hardcore mode.
I don't know, it seems to say that there are too modes one for with the world that has no rankings and one with friends that might have rankings...

GigaOni said:
Okay, let me go ahead and explain a few things that don't make sense and make these "World Rankings" or whatever the hell a huge pain. You shouldn't base the rankings on a Win : Lose ratio because there's many ways you can corrupt it therefore, you should put it by a point standard. Points can be earned by causing damage to the player, kills, Final Smashes [from what I've read they're actually quite hard to get], and wins. Wins do contribute to the player's points but, they aren't the only way to achieve them. I think this is the best way in going about making the "World rankings". I think also that they could give you points for doing certain things during battles that are not so easy to get.. maybe.. double kills?

Yes, it sounds a lot like Halo and Gears of Wars rankings but, they do have the best ranking system for a reason.

I think I like what I said before about it going by wins and loses but not just by how many, it goes by the rank of the person you beat/lose against compared to your rank

Back