British English vs American English

navarre

Proud Protestant
Jan 26, 2008
Landan, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northe
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
English is the de facto world language and the third largest language in the world in terms of first language speakers (the largest spoken in the world if you include second and third language speakers). English largely owes this honour to the success of the British Empire and the 'superpower' status held by the predominantly English speaking United States.

However, the two most spoken dialects of English, British English and American English, have key differences:

British English / American English

Crisps / Potato chips
Football / Soccer
American football / Football
Arse / Ass
Bum / Butt
Lift / Elevator

Also, there are etiquette differences: In Britain, when asked for coffee, you'd say 'I don't mind', whereas in America, you'd say 'I don't care'. Either sounds odd to the other.

So, the question is- which dialect is better? I'd say British English, but not just because I'm biased- it makes more sense (ie football is actually a ball game played with the foot), and it's the original.

British>English

Arse rolls off the tongue (Insert rimming gag) where as Ass is about donkeys

Both do things horribly strangely in specific situations.

I tend to drift in and out of phrases used in both, and I think it'd be better if they were more mingled and those stupid XBox Live episodes wouldn't happen.

Oh, and

Crisps > chips
Chips > fries
Football > Soccer
Football = Football (We're smart enough to know that you mean the *other* football)
Arse = Ass (It's just your stupid accent that adds the R)
Bum / Butt
Lift / Elevator

Arse = Ass (It's just your stupid accent that adds the R)
Nope ARSE is a word you can say in polite companys (well I do) and it feels good to say it

Try it now

ARSE!

Well obviously it's gotta be the British dialect, hasn't it? Our "football" is actually about using your feet, and "arse" really does sound better with that 'r' in it.

And of course, there's the fact that we can spell properly ('colour', 'analogue', 'cheque', 'plough', etc.).

Oh please, us English think this all the time. We don't need a thread to clarify that we're right.

English is the language of the English, at least, it was. I don't think Americans, or any English-variant-speaking other can comment and say that the way the English (generally) speak the language is wrong.

Folks we have a winner.

Oh please- we British don't need to simplify words' spelling in order to make it look like it's pronounced.

...Arse?

No, you change your pronunciation to Englishify it even when the word is from a foreign source. (Fillet as opposed to fill-ay).

British English > American English.
Written American English is just lazy but I love it when Americans talk .. .. .. .. calling trousers 'pants' and their bottom a 'fanny' :lol: *

*yes I'm very childish

British English > American English.
Written American English is just lazy but I love it when Americans talk .. .. .. .. calling trousers 'pants' and their bottom a 'fanny' :lol: *
Dont forget
Bumbag>Fanny pack
I dont think anyone can pull somebody while waring one so calling it a fannypack is wrong

For the majority of people, it's going to be American, because that's what foreigners learn. Also, you won't be marked down on British tests if you write in "American" English, especially for the realise/realize thing, where realise is actually the spelling that came after and a lot of British writers prefer to use realize.

Every time I typed that I wrote realise though. >_>

For the majority of people, it's going to be American, because that's what foreigners learn. Also, you won't be marked down on British tests if you write in "American" English, especially for the realise/realize thing, where realise is actually the spelling that came after and a lot of British writers prefer to use realize.

Every time I typed that I wrote realise though. >_>
The way I look at it, the British dialect evolved, the Yanks' didn't. :D

Back