Broken Sensor Wire?...

joebass

WiiChat Member
Dec 27, 2006
My sensor wire got snapped today in a household accident and I was wondering if anyone had any input regarding the possibility of splicing the wire. When I opened the wire up there seems to be only two leads, one copper and one red wire. Once I spliced them together I can play the sport disc game and also Zelda with the exception of aiming the sling shot on the screen. The remote cursor seems to be very erratic and does not show up properly on the screen. I tried re-syncing the remotes and it doesn't seem to matter. I obviously will buy a new sensor but I was looking for help in the interim so the game doesn't sit there unused in the meantime.

Thanks, Joe

Use two tiny candles!
They work perfectly for me...
Put the 2 candles where the ends of the sensor bar would be.
Try it for yourself!

Yep, the candles make the infared work just like a cencor bar, it helped us with our problem.

All the sensor bar does is give off a couple of IR signals so that the remote knows which way it is pointing. It is only used when you are pointing at the screen, not for motion sensing etc.
A candle will also give off an IR signal, so a pair of them will do the job.
The remote communicates with the Wii using bluetooth.

this is why i am DYING for a wireless one :(

i have visions of me vacumming and it getting tangeled in the vacumme cleaner! (just like when i had my karaoke revolution headset laying on the floor with that thin wire sticking out and BAMN! ripped to shreds :( )

The_Loose_Cannon said:

i have visions of me vacumming and it getting tangeled in the vacumme cleaner! (just like when i had my karaoke revolution headset laying on the floor with that thin wire sticking out and BAMN! ripped to shreds :( )

its not too difficult to make a wireless one... with either battery power, or a power source

jessetheinferno said:
http://doctabu.livejournal.com/64758.html

heres a link to a pretty good tutorial on how the sensor bar works and how to construct a wireless one

i might have had worked at radioshack back in the day but im FAR from "talented" enough to do that!!! i wish though!

ill just wait paciently and buy one when it comes out

The_Loose_Cannon said:

yeah, same phobia here, as a matter of fact I was fine until my cats gotten to it, since then I moved my Wii to my basement and forbid my cats to go down there, i'm still using my sensor bar for the time being but I have a fear that at any minute I will be seeing smoke coming out the back vent of my Wii due to an IR circuit short, I unplugged it for a while because of that fear and used my can lights in my basement for aiming purposes, wasn't cutting it, so I became brave and plugged in my sensor bar, and it worked, phew, i'm in the progress of making a wireless one myself, I have the IR LEDs, something I can use for casing, and the wiring, 2 problems though, 1) my stepfather is helping me wire it up (supplying the tools), we haven't came up with an agreement of how the casing should be formed (I am using wood), then I gave him my IR LEDs since he needed a measurement for the holes where the LEDs will go, the last time I was thinking about working on it, my LEDs were missing, i'm pretty sure I know where they are though, I just hope i'm right 2) I know about basic currents, but as for stepping up and dropping down, all I know about it is the parts to do so are called resistors and capacitors, and for this project, I know I will need one or a series of resistors (I heard that if you only use one resistor that it can get hot, and since I plan on putting it in a wood enclosure, it could start a fire, and the more you have, the lower the operating tempature), and for the IR LEDs, they did not come with any documentation, so I have no idea what current they require, if you have any information based on that, I have a link below (it's not really a link, but HTML code, but it will make a link if you save it as an HTML file, I couldn't make it a proper link)

All the sensor bar does is produce non-visable IR light that only IR recivers and cameras can pick up (if you film the sensor bar and play it back, you will see it glow, i believe in a blueish color, I only seen it in a bright white because I viewed it in my viewfinder and my camcorder has a B&W viewfinder), the Wii-mote has a IR reciver and uses it to triangulate for aiming and pointing purposes and transmitts the data back to the Wii via bluetooth, so if you have a projector and you have two light sources close to your projection surface, there is no need to plug in the sensor bar, heck, you can use car headlights if you wanted to, but I highly doubt anybody wants to do that, you can also do that of you have a television, but it would be better use for a home theater setup, which would have a projector, but since you don't want to have a light source glare in your eyes while playing, IR dosen't make that light visable, the thing that tells the Wii what way the Wii-mote is facing is two sensing chips inside the Wii-mote and one in the nunchuck, so you can use any light source you want to use, as long as they are spaced apart reasonably, you can use candles, but in my opionion, that is a fire hazard, but not in all instances, the wire that sends the electrical current (direct current "DC") to the sensor bar is pretty thin and easy to break, I would advise if the wire breaks, just buy a new one, it's not worth trying to fix the sensor bar wire, it can cause damage to the Wii, and Wii costa a lot more than a sensor bar, right?

The_Loose_Cannon said:
i might have had worked at radioshack back in the day but im FAR from "talented" enough to do that!!! i wish though!

ill just wait paciently and buy one when it comes out
I'm pretty sure you could do it, the only hard part is the resistance, but of you can't, you can get a pre-made one like this one http://www.wirelesssensorbar.com/ (i'm guessing this is what you are looking for?)

Back