Building a custom Sensor Bar

ABC

Banned
Sep 15, 2006
NyC/Nj
Wii Online Code
1929-2278-1848-3419
Ok, almost all of us now know that the Sensor Bar included with the Wii is simply a bar that emits an IR signal from two positions... and as some of us experienced, it isn't that great. So, I have decided to build my own from the ground up with 3 sensors with a range of 100 feet and an upgraded power-supply. Here are the parts:

2 or 3 IR transmitters with a MUCH better range than the stock Nintendo one.

A powersuply for them... I am hoping I can solder up a 9V battery pack enclosure to make it wireless.

I am currently working on finding the best quality parts then my next step of "pre-production" will begin where I decide on how to go about my little project.

intekmdma said:
and then.. and then MASS PRODUCE!

Haha, I might make a few more if it works better than the regular... which it most definitely will, for whoever wants them.

You can use lit candles for the same effect, but I'm not sure how long the signal goes

NubHugs said:
You can use lit candles for the same effect, but I'm not sure how long the signal goes

:lol: You can only do that in the dark... I am talking about a super Sensor Bar with a 100 foot range. Perfect for people with projectors, big rooms, or people who just want better accuracy.

ABC said:
:lol: You can only do that in the dark... I am talking about a super Sensor Bar with a 100 foot range. Perfect for people with projectors, big rooms, or people who just want better accuracy.

that way... I wont have to ever get out of my bed... how convienent

You play with the lights on!? Anyway.. sounds like a good idea.. I bet it'd be neat playing from another room.. You think Nintendo will make a stronger Sensor Bar further down the road?

Ok bitches! I found the parts... Total: $13.82. I am getting the parts and putting it together. COMPLETELY WIRELESS.

intekmdma said:
pics pics pics, comon' hook it up lets see it!

Well, someone beat me to it, so here it is: [MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryy7oPMZ2gU[/MEDIA]

Except I might be making mine wired with extra IR sensors for longer range... I still haven't decided how I will go about my project but it might be similar to his or completely different.

If it works well with the products you are going to use could you post a list of the products :D ...so i can make my own as well.

Chaox said:
If it works well with the products you are going to use could you post a list of the products :D ...so i can make my own as well.

Will do man. I think I will tackle this project next weekend. I will keep everyone updated.

ABC said:

Candles work in the daytime, I have done extensive tests. xD (I was curious!)

I think I'm going to make my own sensor bar, as well. It might not look as sharp as the Nintendo one, but it will turn out pretty good. I don't exactly need the distance, I just want to see if it helps at all with Red Steel. (I dought it's the sensor bar's fault for Red Steel's mishappenings, but might as well try.)

Last edited:
Back