Buying a Wii Overseas (REGIONS?)

calico852

WiiChat Member
Jun 25, 2007
Hey

I'm currently living in England though am in Hong Kong for several months throughout the year. I want to buy a wii here.. which model should I buy to ensure I can play in the UK? Is there any model I can actually buy where I can still play online there? Or even just play online there... Are there just two systems, the PAL and the NTSC, and the regions are seperated based on that? Or are the regions further designated to certain countries beyond the PAL and NTSC formats?

Thanks lots

Japanese consoles are NTSC and run on 110volts
US consoles are NTSC and run on 120volts
Australian consoles are PAL and run on 240volts
European consoles are PAL and run on 230volts

The first thing you will need is a console with a mod chip that will allow games to play from other regions. Secondly you will need an aftermarket power supply that runs multivoltage. Third you will need a TV that supports NTSC input or a conversion box.

Last edited:
Australia is not NTSC australia is PAL and so is NZ, Also apparently getting mod chips and playing games that arent from your region (or region of the wii) will brick it

Thanks for the quick reply guys :)

What do you reccommend I do? Should I just buy one in the UK? & Is this the same for the DS lite?

Take care

Well if your only living in hong kong for a few months this year and you plan on spending most of your time in the UK but one in UK and ds lite isnt region coded

Back