Buying an wii console for the first time, what to expect?

Pargadox

WiiChat Member
Dec 4, 2011
norway
Hello.

I in many years have owned an xbox 360 but im kind of bored of the console since it just is dusting down on the tv table and im maby thinking of selling it and buy an nintendo wii.
Cause many years ago i owned an nintendo 64 and just loved the games.
And i have a couple of questions before i buy it:

The controls:
When i have played for example black ops when i visited a friend with wii, the controller reacts half a second or 300 ms after i wave with the controller. Why is it that laggy? is it buildt for the motion plus? and does the motion plus give the same responce as the controller does on xbox?

The online part:
is it free to play online? or does it have online payment to play online like xbox has?

The memory:
How many gb of hdd space does the machine have?
Can i install games to the harddrive and play from the hdd with the disk in to load games faster?

The display:
Does the wii support hdmi or uses it component? cause if it uses hdmi i want to use it on my 1080p pc screen

The store:
How is the store on wii?
Does it have dlc's minigames, themes etc?
___

And most console owners of ps3 and xbox seems to hate the wii console cause of the poor graphics, but i want to buy it for the games, story and the entertainment. and since i play most of the console games on pc, i want to buy wii cause of games that doesnt come to pc.

1. the motion controls are not perfect but I don not hear anyone complain about lag.

2. free online play for everyone :thumbsup: you only pay for downloading games.

3. you do not install games like the 360. check wikipedia for tech specifications.

4. you can buy separate cables for hd but it makes little difference.

5. no expansion packs for disc games, no patches, no themes.

as far as the memory goes, it has 512mb of flash memory... but you could buy like a 32 gig sdhc card for storing your downloaded titles, channels, and game saves.

The Games:

You're screwed unless you want to play Nintys 1st party titles and really, REALLY crappy party games!

Im not planning to buy party games like marioparty :p only some sport games and rpg games :)

Welcome to the forums, Pargadox. I'll go ahead and throw out my two cents on your questions. =)

The controls: I wouldn't doubt that there's a delay for the controls for Black Ops on the Wii; the game really wasn't designed for the Wii, after all. Treyarch isn't known for getting everything right the first time, and since the Wii doesn't have a patching system for online games, ... yeah. But this is definitely not the case for most games, and especially not the legitimately good Wii games. Even games that don't use the motion plus shouldn't have such delay.

The online part: Playing games online is 100% free on the Wii. :thumbsup: Multiplayer for every Wii game isn't the most lag-free like most 360 games, but that's not to say that you should expect online Wii games to perform sub-par or anything. The best of Wii games are generally regarded as good for their single player experience regardless of that anywho, IMO.

The memory: I'm not entirely sure how much memory it has, but I can confirm that Skidmarx is correct in that you can't install games on the internal memory. Load times for Wii games are hardly something to worry about regardless IMO. I can also say that you've got more than enough internal memory to download tons of Virtual Console games and hold all of your save data without a problem. I've had my Wii since '06 and still haven't needed to so much as buy an SD card/memory unit of any sort.

The display: I ain't too knowledgeable on that matter, honestly... Skidmarx answered better than I could. :lol:

The store: The Wii may not have backwards compatibility with the N64, but that's one of the things you can buy through the Wii Shop Channel; retro games. From NES classics to Sega Genesis, the "VC"'s got quite a few games you can buy, and for relatively cheap too. If there was ever an N64 game you never got to play/can't play anymore, this can certainly help with that.

It has "Wiiware" which is equivalent to XBL's arcade games, but I'd say it doesn't really have as many gems as XBLA does. You're definitely better off investing in retro games you know are hit classics you'll enjoy, rather than random Wiiware.

So what can i actually buy in the store?

Back