Buying Wii US or Japanese?

twirly

WiiChat Member
Feb 29, 2008
I'm about to buy a Wii in Hong Kong, for use in Hong Kong and maybe later in Australia. I've checked online and I see that there are two versions here, US and Japanese, can anyone explain the difference? I realise that the US one is probably for NTSB TV format, but are there other differences?

Thanks in advance.

T

幸せ雑&
せ雑&
幸&せ~
雑&幸せ
幸せ雑&
&幸せ%
幸せ雑&

:yesnod:
:yesnod:

There are three formats, I think - PAL (Australia, Europe), NTSC (North America), and Japanese. Each format can only play games that are set to that format, so you wouldn't be able to play, for example, Mario Galaxy in PAL format on an NTSC Wii, and you wouldn't be able to play Japanese Mario Galaxy on an PAL format Wii... and so on. The only way you can get around this is to either mod your Wii, or get your hands on a copy of Freeloader, a piece of software that's supposed to let you play any region's games on any Wii after you load the software up.

As said before both consoles are NTSC however the US console will only play US games and the Japanese only Japanese games.

The Japanese console also has all it's menus in Japanese and there is no option to change the language.

So if you want games and console in english the US machine is a better option.

Thanks to you all.

I guess I'd better check, there must be a PAL version here also. I'll also look into Freeloader as I have a friend in the UK who would really like to be able to play US games as they're half the price!

Thanks again!

Back