Can a scratched disc cause Wii to shut down?

Ozwalt

WiiChat Member
Nov 30, 2011
Missouri
My son's Wii apparently died several weeks ago. It would accept a disc, but it would not spin it. After some checking online, I found several postings here and there blaming this error on a dirty laser lens. So, I cleaned the lens, and viola! The Wii suddenly would spin discs again. My son was very excited, and he immediately put in the game he was playing when it died the first time. The game would play for a while and then freeze. He'd restart and get similar results. And after 10 or 15 minutes, the Wii came to a permanent screeching halt. Re-cleaned the lens, but no miracle the second time around. Further checking online found more postings about similar issues, but several people were blaming their discs -- i.e. suggesting there was a new coating on a specific game that was causing problems. But I also found folks suggesting that it was a scratched disc that could damage the lens. The game in question is definitely scratched up, so before I allow my son to play it on his replacement Wii (bought used, so no warranty), I would like to know from someone who actually knows for sure -- is it possible that a scratched or dirty disc can damage the lens and stop the Wii from spinning discs? Should we throw away the suspected disc? Thanks.

some things to consider:

you never mentioned what game it was. call of duty black ops is well known to eat lasers, otherwise I can't imagine a scratched disc doing anything else but fail. some games are known to freeze out of sloppy programming rather than a hardware problem.

you buy a used wii without warranty? :nono: I don't know for sure but next time buy the used wii from someplace that will take responsibility for warranty, and get a new/used copy of the game.

some things to consider:
you buy a used wii without warranty? :nono: I don't know for sure but next time buy the used wii from someplace that will take responsibility for warranty, and get a new/used copy of the game.

I appreciate your response, but don't need your finger-wagging. I'm saying the used Wii doesn't come with the Nintendo 1-year warranty. I don't see us buying a 3rd Wii, because this was a stop-gap measure to get us to Wii U, so we went cheap and bought local. But then, that's not really the issue here, right? I'm asking if anyone knows for sure whether a scratched disc can damage a Wii or not. BTW, the game in question is Bully.

www.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101117130006AAf1SFF

Tada! Freezing is a common problem with bully and forcing the wii to replay the same freezing point over and over could possibly explain an overworked disc drive disableing- I would say the scratches on the disc are irrelavent. The only solution I can find is DELETING THE SAVE AND STARTING OVER booo! :(

AWESOME (kinda) -- bummer about Bully, but glad to avoid additional hassles. Thanks for the help.

I had the Wii version at one point and had the same exact problem as you did, but the Wii still reads other game discs I have other than THAT one! Prolly for a good reason. BECAUSE THAT ONE WAS HORRIBLE!!!

Not only the glitch made things unplesent, but the gameplay and overall was unenjoyable and clumsy!! Most likely due to coding problems caused when porting the games content from the Xbox 360 version, which was based off the PS2 version also.

Do you have an X Box 360 or a PS2/3? I heard those versions run far better and smoother than the Wii port.
Those systems are cheap and these versions of Bully are a little easier to come by, due to being produced in more quanitys than the Wii version (which was marketed as a limited edtion).

Hope this helps

Back