Can I connect my Wii to the internet using my Laptop's built-in WiFi?

malik216

WiiChat Member
Feb 28, 2008
Is it possible to use my Notebook's internal Wifi to create an access point for the Wii?
Any suggestions? Thanks.

Maybe there should be a network setup wizard on ur computer just go to the control panel and set it up i dont know if it will work but you should try it.

malik216 said:
Is it possible to use my Notebook's internal Wifi to create an access point for the Wii?
Any suggestions? Thanks.

I've done it with my mac, however you probably need to connect you laptop via ethernet and then transmit via wifi. I don't know how it can be done with windows, but with mac is extremely easy.

malik216 said:
Any suggestions? Thanks.
Why?

The laptop would have to be connected to a network anyway, why not just use the Wii on this network?

You might be able to do this by using "Ad-hoc" mode instead of "Infrastructure" mode when setting up your laptop's wireless card. There should be a setting somewhere in the software you use to connect to wireless networks that will let you change to Adhoc.

One reason I can see wanting to do this is if you have a wired (not wireless) router and you have a wii in a nearby room that you want to get online. Another possibility is you don't have a router at all, and the internet goes directly into your laptop. Either situation would be better solved by getting a wireless router, but it should be possible to use the laptop.

if you are running XP, Start > Network Connections > See All Connections, highlight your ethernet and WiFi cards, right click > bridge connections

you can't share in Vista that I have been able to find

For Mac: Apple menu > System Preferences > Sharing > Internet Sharing, set "share connection from" to built-in ethernet, and check airport under "to computers using"

Any suggestions? Thanks.

This can be done as I've done it before and it can only be done as long as your laptop is not connected to the internet via Wi-Fi because the computer cannot receive and transmit at the same time through the same piece of hardware. There are programs or even Windows can do it to create an access point using your laptop. Inside Windows, go to Control Panel, Network and Sharing Center, Set up a new connection or network and select the very bottom option which is Create an Ad-Hoc. Just remember to have no interference in the way of the laptop and wii or the connection may not work :)

Back