Can I connect the Wii to my computer?

clemens

WiiChat Member
Sep 26, 2007
Hi there,

I'm thinking of buying a Wii but I don't have a TV, so I'd like to know if I could connect the Wii to my computer (Apple Macbook Pro, newest revision). If so, which cables and/or software would I need? I've got Mac OS X and Windows XP SP2 installed, so OS-wise it shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers
- Clemens

Theoretically, yes you could connect your Wii to a computer...

But it wouldn't do anything.

I think he is asking if he can use the computer Monitor to play the Wii on. (I think) And i'm sorry I do not think that is possible almost every game system requires a TV :scared:

I believe u can do it...i saw on youtube some kid hooked it up...search on youtube to be sure.

Yes, you can hook up your wii to a monitor, though its much more complicated with a laptop.

I thought he was asking if he could transfer files etc., which would be nice, but that would make things too easy for people to hack.

Thanks for the answers, guys. You're right, I actually would prefer to play with it and not just connect it! ;) But I thought that was obvious ...
That guy on YouTube ... It's somehow suspicious that he wouldn't show his keyboard - could be a fake with a standard LCD TV, if you ask me ... Other than that he probably would have given instructions on how to do it! :)

Connecting to a laptop would be... really hard. It's best just to get a TV, and, you can get them pretty cheap. Get an older second hand TV, and you'll barely have to pay!

What's the difficulties there? How would you go about connecting a laptop? And what about connecting a standard TFT screen (I've got a spare one, that's why I'm asking)?

there is some plug that you put in your monter that converts it to the yello plug thing or buy a tv tunner for your mac if it is very fast there may be some lag with it tho

You need an VGA adapter to connect your wii to your cart/lcd monitor. I personally recomend this: http://www.x2vga.com/product

it supports up to 1080i/p and can use up to two inputs (like a Wii, and a xbox 360 at once) plus it has a switch to switch the monitor from computer mode to video game mode. Expensive, but easy to use and quality is good.

Check it out.
wallys

FoxRox said:
Yes, you can hook up your wii to a monitor, though its much more complicated with a laptop.

I thought he was asking if he could transfer files etc., which would be nice, but that would make things too easy for people to hack.

Codejunkies have something for the Wii, that lets you explore the Wii hard drive :)

You can buy a cable that outputs in VGA (don't have the link atm) or you can buy a box. I bought this one a couple months ago, and am happy with the results:

1080box-002.png

metroid-juggling.png

My nephew recently hooked up his console to his laptop with an ATI TV wonder box. Basically, the laptop doesn't care if it's a cable signal or a composite video signal (no component connections). I thought it looked pretty good, considering the reduction in screen size and all. I think any video input/output device for a PC should work.

Back