Can I use my wifi laptop as a wireless access point for the Wii???

tommyh

WiiChat Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hi, I'm currently living in halls of residence (got a wifi router at home) - I have internet access in my room via an ethernet connection which connects me to the internet through the college network. Is there any way I can use my computer as a bridge between my wii and the network so that I can enjoy all the online benefits of the wii?

I've tried setting up a wireless network on my laptop (internal card that supports 802.11b) with the ssid nintendowii and enabled internet connection sharing. I've even tried it whilst turning WEP and my firewall off but nothing seems to work... I just get an error message saying ssid not found. I've seen articles that talk about how to get the wii online using mac's airport:

http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/board/message?board.id=internet&message.id=3228&query.id=214922

given that airport is the same as wifi shouldn't a windows computer be able to do the same thing? I'm loath to buy the datel wii ethernet converter or the nintendo ds PC wifi dongle if I can actually connect my wii using its existing hardware.

tommyh said:
Hi, I'm currently living in halls of residence (got a wifi router at home) - I have internet access in my room via an ethernet connection which connects me to the internet through the college network. Is there any way I can use my computer as a bridge between my wii and the network so that I can enjoy all the online benefits of the wii?

I've tried setting up a wireless network on my laptop (internal card that supports 802.11b) with the ssid nintendowii and enabled internet connection sharing. I've even tried it whilst turning WEP and my firewall off but nothing seems to work... I just get an error message saying ssid not found. I've seen articles that talk about how to get the wii online using mac's airport:

http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/board/message?board.id=internet&message.id=3228&query.id=214922

given that airport is the same as wifi shouldn't a windows computer be able to do the same thing? I'm loath to buy the datel wii ethernet converter or the nintendo ds PC wifi dongle if I can actually connect my wii using its existing hardware.

airport is actually much different than wi-fi. as far as i know (i could be dead wrong, but i don't think i am since i've tried it on both a windows and mac), regular windows wi-fi DOES NOT allow for signal to be transmitted. Airport for mac, on the other hand, allows internet sharing through the wireless card (i.e. i also live in a dorm and have my ethernet shared through my airport wireless to the wii). like i said, i could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure a normal windows wireless card doesn't allow for a created network.

Your notebooks internal wireless cannot act as an access point. However, many notebook cards do. Hwl2 (Hawking USB wireless adapter) can act as a wireless access point. It is one of the options that you choose in its program and simple to find.

I haven't used it as an access point though so you'll have to research on how to do it exactly. Maybe calling/emailing Hawking technology support.

This adapter can be found at compusa's or best buys, etc.

Back