Can sexuality be changed?

Sixty

Kryptonightingale
Jan 27, 2009
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
Leaking into a completely different thread, so I may as well take this somewhere. Some people think it's possible. :p

Do you think people can change this if they really want to? Because I actually can, even though I consider myself straight. I can easily point out a good looking guy or something, everyone can. Dunno what's stopping people. I can't imagine suddenly being off my significant other because they were a different gender, yet I still wouldn't go for a male. I think everyone can force themselves to be in love with someone of the same gender. S'all just a trend in society.

Actually, I think sexuality only exists because of... Dare I say religion? Plus other factors, I know thaaat.

If we bring the animal debate into it... yeah. They just have sex to simply mate. Pretty sure they've worked it out that they can't with the same sex. That's all I'm capable of typing this tired though. Have fun.

I'm going to be ~controversial~ here and say yes.

Shamelessly copy-pasted off Wikipedia:
Among [identical] twins, 6.7% are concordant [that is, both express same-sex romantic attraction]. [Fraternal] twin pairs are 7.2% concordant. Full-siblings are 5.5% concordant. Clearly, the observed concordance rates do not correspond to degrees of genetic similarity. None of the comparisons between [identical] twins and others ... are even remotely significant. If same-sex romantic attraction has a genetic component, it is massively overwhelmed by other factors.
Other studies mentioned on the same page suggest concordancy of around 30-50%, but even if that's true, that still implies homosexuality is not entirely genetic, otherwise it would be close to 100%. And of course, if sexuality is determined by social factors, then a person could indeed change.

Don't think for one second that I support any efforts to pressure people to change though. A person's sexuality is a matter for them alone and they should not feel pressured or discriminated against.

I'm gonna say no for a simple reason:

In today's world, why the hell would you choose to be gay?

I'm gonna say no for a simple reason:

In today's world, why the hell would you choose to be gay?

You don't choose. The question is if you are gay or bisexual can you force yourself to become straight. There's a difference.

You don't choose. The question is if you are gay or bisexual can you force yourself to become straight. There's a difference.

Well the argument usually states that you can change it because it is a choice.

If you are gay or bisexual you can act like your straight, and tell everyone you are straight. But I don't think if you are turned on by the same sex you can just suddenly stop being turned on by the same sex. Unless you were raped or something.

Chewy makes perfect sense.

If people could choose to become straight, there's no way anyone would be gay. You can't become straight, you can repress your homosexual feelings and be with a person of the opposite sex... but it's just like a straight person repressing any attraction to the opposite sex to be with a person of the same sex. Possible, yes; but generally not long-lasting, fulfilling or genuine. You're still gay, you just act straight.

Well, since people always start straight and change to being gay, I'm going to have to say yes. No one likes the same sex. That's stupid.

Well, since people always start straight and change to being gay, I'm going to have to say yes.

Actually, most gay people will tell you that they've always been gay. I believe that when you're born, you don't have a sexuality. You grow up, you're either gay, straight, or bi.

Twilight Hero said:
No one likes the same sex. That's stupid.

Actually, most gay people will tell you that they've always been gay. I believe that when you're born, you don't have a sexuality. You grow up, you're either gay, straight, or bi.
Well, people usually grow up crushing on the opposite sex. I don't know what changes their mind, but I believe it's their choice to be gay. Some people say that one wouldn't just be gay intentionally because they would be mocked and stuff, but if you wanted to do something, wouldn't you just do it? You wouldn't care what people thought about you. If I wanted to live in a cardboard box, I would do it without caring about what people thought of me.

Bi here, I dunno. I just think lots of people are hot(It's rather distracting)... I don't really know how to change that. I'm not that explicit about in real life. I'm quite explicitly bi when it comes to art of any sort. I really don't think I have a good grasp on gender, I sometimes sex people my own way... That sounds wrong. It's more based on different things for me... I can't explain it.

I don't really know how you can curb your sexuality, but anyone who can explain please do!! I don't know that it would work for me though hahas!!

Also, my imagination is just too good for my own good... Very distracting.

Last edited:
Back