Can someones assist a wii newbie?

Carbinekid

WiiChat Member
Dec 28, 2006
Hi. I'm new here, and totally fustrated. I have been looking into connecting my Wii to the internet. I have asked everyone at GameStop EB and even best buy, and so far I have come up with zero. I have also ran a few searches on the net(thats how I found this site). In fact the only advice I got was from a guy at circuit city. He told me to just run the wii set up like my PS2 set up. He said I didnt need to spend $40 on a wifi part.
I have my internet thru my local cable company. I use a motorola surfboard cable modem model SB5101. In the past I ran the cable to the modem, and then the phone cord looking line to the PS2. I had no problems with this set up, but the Wii looks like a totally diffrent beast. So what do I need to do to hook the Wii up to my modem.
Sorry if this is a newbie question, but im a computer/wii idiot and out of options.
Thanks

Thanks. I just had the wife pick up the Nintendo WiFI USB Connector. Its for the DS but it says its compatible. Now as long as this is the right one I will try to hook it up....this is the right one...right??

Great....its time to hook it up. My son will be sooo happy(me too!)
Thanks guys.

I have wireless internet, and I have no wifi usb hooked up to my wii, and I connected without a problem. When you setup the connection, if there is a hotspot near you, the wii should automatically detect a wireless connection. When I setup mine, I scanned for a connection, found it, and connected instantly. I think the wii has wifi built into it, you just need a good wireless connection. There is no need to buy a wifi hookup.

well in his case he had no wifi hotspot close to him to connect to which is where the nintendo ds wifi usb comes in handy, it adds a hotspot to your computer so your DS or Wii can conncect to a wifi spot.

BGodby said:
I have no wifi usb hooked up to my wii, and I connected without a problem. . .I think the wii has wifi built into it, you just need a good wireless connection.

You are correct, there is no WiFi device for the Wii; currently the Wii does not accept any devices in the USB ports (except to recharge things). The WiFi adapter they are speaking about is one that turns your PC into a WiFi access point that the Wii can connect to via it's built in WiFi.

One last question. I was able to set up my WI FI connector with little trouble. I do have a stupid question though. Do I have to leave my computer on to use the Wi Fi device. It is hooked into my computer, so I think I hae to. However I do not like the idea of keeping my computer on 24/7? Will the Wi Fi connector wok if my computers off???

Carbinekid said:
One last question. I was able to set up my WI FI connector with little trouble. I do have a stupid question though. Do I have to leave my computer on to use the Wi Fi device. It is hooked into my computer, so I think I hae to. However I do not like the idea of keeping my computer on 24/7? Will the Wi Fi connector wok if my computers off???

It is a stupid question. . .if the computer is off, the software that runs the USB WiFi adapter won't run and so the adapter won't work.

csiguy4u said:
It is a stupid question. . .if the computer is off, the software that runs the USB WiFi adapter won't run and so the adapter won't work.
LOL I though it was, I was just thinking it might have acted like an antenna. I had a ton of problems hooking up the USB connector(error codes) and now that I got it to work, Im affriad it might not the next time. Oh well, I think Im going to get the lan line...if/when its out.

Back