Can Wii games be burned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ilcid said:
*sigh*

Neither of them do. It's just a rumor that spouted when some person claimed the GameCube discs spin backwards. However, if you look at the discs spin in the GameCube, you'll see it spins clockwise, like all CD's.

The XBOX was basically just PC hardware with a custom OS on it. Some people even got Windows running on it.
im an xbox modder. i know 100% for a FACT that the xbox drive spins backwords because in order to get the Samsung 616 DVD drive to work in an xbox you must flash the firmware AND reverse the direction in which the moter spins. also the xbox ISO files are just normal ISO's but they have the data in them mirrored so it can be burned in a normal DVD burner yet have the info backwords so the xbox can read it. dont believe me? ask about it on the Xbox-Scene forums. its the BIGGEST xbox mod site on the net

Mitch2025 said:
im an xbox modder. i know 100% for a FACT that the xbox drive spins backwords because in order to get the Samsung 616 DVD drive to work in an xbox you must flash the firmware AND reverse the direction in which the moter spins. also the xbox ISO files are just normal ISO's but they have the data in them mirrored so it can be burned in a normal DVD burner yet have the info backwords so the xbox can read it. dont believe me? ask about it on the Xbox-Scene forums. its the BIGGEST xbox mod site on the net

Give me a link to a site which will support that, please.

And how come XBOX's can play DVD's if they spin backwards?

Last edited:
Mitch2025 said:

I gurantee there is some other form of piracy protection with the wii.

And I am still pretty sure it was never made possible to burn GCN games. And as far as Wii discs go, they spin in a normal direction, they are just written inside <-> out like was said a bit before me.

vagrant said:
I gurantee there is some other form of piracy protection with the wii.

And I am still pretty sure it was never made possible to burn GCN games.

I'm guessing checking the hash of the disc or reading sectors that most burners can't write to.

Funny you didn't mention anything about the DVDs...

@edit: Perhaps the reason you need to change the direction of the motor is because you're flashing it with non-standard firmware? Firmware could control which way the motor is spinning. If it spun in reverse, and you were using non-standard firmware, you wouldn't need to rotate the motor.

"spinning the motor 180 degrees, or swapping the traces, is all to make the 8164 look like the 8163 to the firmware."

Last edited:
what do i need to mention? why would you need to reverse the drives moter if the games were read in the normal spinning direction?

EDIT:
ilcid said:
Funny you didn't mention anything about the DVDs...

@edit: Perhaps the reason you need to change the direction of the motor is because you're flashing it with non-standard firmware? Firmware could control which way the motor is spinning. If it spun in reverse, and you were using non-standard firmware, you wouldn't need to rotate the motor.

"spinning the motor 180 degrees, or swapping the traces, is all to make the 8164 look like the 8163 to the firmware."
hmm. i never thought about that. could be. but i hear ALOT of people say that the drive spins backwords. ill search some more later. its 2:30AM. im tired lol

EDIT2:
vagrant said:
What does xbox have to do with wii anyways, with xbox you had to ftp to play ripped games.
you dont need to FTP the games to the hdd to play them. i have a whole DVD case filled with xbox games burned on DVD's that play fine in my xbox

Also found this on another xbox hacking site:

"It doesn't spin backward, how would it play DVD's? The motor hack is on the TRAY motor, which is reversed between the XBOX vs retail Samsung units. Layer 1 of a DVD can be read two different ways, OTP (opposite track path) and PTP (parallel track path), discs are pressed one way or the other. OTP is typical for Video DVD as the head doesn't have to seek at the layer transition, the head starts at the inner edge, moves to the outer edge, transistions layer, and then moves back to the inner edge. The drive motor does not change direction."

You need a permit or license to obtain a disk with enough space to hold a game like that.

A mate of mine downloaded NFSC from a torrent site for his Xbox 360. He burnt it to DVD and it works fine in his console.

I don't know if that helps balance the arguments...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back