Can you chip a wii

hound9812

WiiChat Member
Apr 6, 2007
Wii Online Code
2684-9302-3338-6956
I was just wondering can you chip a wii to play burnt games? if so is it safe to do, I know that when they came out with PS2 the chip ruined a lot of systems. Also whats an approximate price range in Canadian or American dollars

how do they install the chip if I live in Canada and they are somewhere else?

hound9812 said:
how do they install the chip if I live in Canada and they are somewhere else?

You send the wii to them.

Yeah you send your Wii off to them, or I've heard you can go into stores and then they open it up, install the chip and send you your Wii back or you collect it if you took it into a store. Make sure you can trust them though.

It's not exactly been done loads yet and in my mind it could still brake your Wii, and we still don't know thefull potential of a Wii system update (meaning Nintendo could have the power to make your the chip and possibly your Wii not work.

Hope this helps.

You use the search bar located on the left hand side of the forum.

cannon said:
You use the search bar located on the left hand side of the forum.

right hand side :thumbsup:, but yes, spread the word. i0n really popularized rep, now he should popularize searching.

WiiGod said:
It's not exactly been done loads yet and in my mind it could still brake your Wii, and we still don't know thefull potential of a Wii system update (meaning Nintendo could have the power to make your the chip and possibly your Wii not work.

I wouldn't worry about breaking your Wii just because you have a mod on it, for example the Wiikey is soldered in such a place it is invicible to the rest of the system but the DVD-drive so it reads burned discs, makes it region free and so on. The only risk of having a chip in your Wii is that you can make stupid mistakes, for example the Super Paper Mario thing, where the game tries to update a NTSC update on a PAL system causing an expensive, but pretty paper weight ;)

Only thing is though I dont feel really safe sending my wii away

First I just want to say hello to everyone cause this is my first post!

But I just ordered my WiiKey and should have it modded in a week, but I've been reading about all this bricking stuff with the paper mario game. I live in the US so I am guessing I have NTSC Wii so should I worry about this update?

Also has anybody had any bricking problems witht he WiiKey with the Connect 24 updates that come out?

Ok just a question what do you guys meen when you say that the online is regional and what do you mean by bricking for like paper mario?

hound9812 said:
I was just wondering can you chip a wii to play burnt games? if so is it safe to do, I know that when they came out with PS2 the chip ruined a lot of systems. Also whats an approximate price range in Canadian or American dollars
Yes you can.

I saw on the news that quite a few stores in Japan will chip your Wii to let you play unsigned games.

A search on Google "wii modchip" will give you the right results.

Last edited:
hound9812 said:
Ok just a question what do you guys meen when you say that the online is regional and what do you mean by bricking for like paper mario?

Paper mario has released only a NTSC version of the game. NTSC is the regional format for the US, and PAL is used in the UK for example. The NTSC version comes with an update that will install as soon as you run the game. So when people who try and run the game on modded Wii that isnt a NTSC console, it updates regardless and bricks the system. Bricking is just a term for turning your Wii into a not working piece of s**t.

But I am not sure if there have been any problems with playing the game on a modded NTSC console.

Back