Canadian Dollar

I have 3 things to add:

1) The US would probably go to war since its dollar is declining since war creates jobs for people and helps (most of the time) the countries economy (as long as there is minimal damge to the country). You can't deny this since it happened after WWI and WWII. People had plenty of money to spend after those wars, in the US anyways. Iraq was supposed to help the US economy but it was an obvious failure (probably the reason troops are being pulled out) Civil war is possible too since people don't like being poor because their gov't is retarded.

2) People aren't really scared of the US, the US just happens to be the trading capital of the world. ie: if a country pisses off the US, their economy would greatly suffer

3) High canadian dollar also means its more expensive to buy things like cars and houses. I'm finally old enough to drive and now cars are more expensive then ever (not to mention gas). Houses on averge have TRIPLED in value over the past 10 years!!! (atleast in vancouver, which is where i live. averge person already spending 60% of earnings on mortgages, anything over 55% means you're poor)

It's not neccisarily a good thing that the lonnie is going up,

Didin't mean to be a downer, but ya... that's how it is...

Regarding your first point.

I'm pretty that there wont be a Civil War taking place anytime soon in the US. Considering the fact that it was the US people who voted for Bush in the first place they can be held partially accusable. Moving onto your point about war.. The US has recently announced that it is planning to go to war with Iran. However this is solely due to the fact that the US feels that Iran is currently a threat to America due to its possession of weapons of mass destrucion. Even though the US may benefit if they were to go to war and supposibly win their main purpose, as I see it, is to eliminate any country which it finds to be a threat to them.

Regarding your third point:

With the increase of the Canadian dollar we have seen that the minimum wages has now increased here in Vancouver, BC from approximately 6.50 to 8.95. However I'm slightly uncertain if that above point is due to the increase in the CNDN dollar alone. Also as Desperado mentioned Canada can now expect to seek equal trades with countries such as the US due to the increase of the dollar.

really? i wonder if minimum wage will jump that far in ontario, it's currently 7.75, and i get paid 8.25......

and to whom ever said that war would make the us money like the previous 2 world wars............this time people have nukes and more dangerous weapons, another world war would be an extinction to the human race

Syntax said:
Regarding your first point.

I'm pretty that there wont be a Civil War taking place anytime soon in the US. Considering the fact that it was the US people who voted for Bush in the first place they can be held partially accusable. Moving onto your point about war.. The US has recently announced that it is planning to go to war with Iran. However this is solely due to the fact that the US feels that Iran is currently a threat to America due to its possession of weapons of mass destrucion. Even though the US may benefit if they were to go to war and supposibly win their main purpose, as I see it, is to eliminate any country which it finds to be a threat to them.

Regarding your third point:

With the increase of the Canadian dollar we have seen that the minimum wages has now increased here in Vancouver, BC from approximately 6.50 to 8.95. However I'm slightly uncertain if that above point is due to the increase in the CNDN dollar alone. Also as Desperado mentioned Canada can now expect to seek equal trades with countries such as the US due to the increase of the dollar.

It wasn't actually the majority of the US who voted for Bush, The democrats atcually got over 50% of the votes(by population), but because of the way the system was setup, whichever party gets the most seats gets to choose the president so it wasn't the American people, but the politicians who voted for the president.

Next, the US has never had solid evidence of any weapons of mass destruction, just "reliable" intel. And the US can't do whatever they want, the UN has to approve or the US could be (or is at least is supposed to be) sanctioned. Plus, hunches about weapons of mass destruction are NOT the sole reason for the US to go to war. Not once in history has a country gone to war just over the safety of the people. There have always been other reasons.

The Canadian dollar isn't actually increasing, the US dollar just happens to be dropping and since USDs are what most people use to convert money, it just looks like it's increasing. That's why nothing much will change, unless it's from the US.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great time for me to get some dollars for my trips next year too, the rate is like almost two dollars for every pound =] woot =]

DaWgX said:
I have 3 things to add:

1) The US would probably go to war since its dollar is declining since war creates jobs for people and helps (most of the time) the countries economy (as long as there is minimal damge to the country). You can't deny this since it happened after WWI and WWII. People had plenty of money to spend after those wars, in the US anyways. Iraq was supposed to help the US economy but it was an obvious failure (probably the reason troops are being pulled out) Civil war is possible too since people don't like being poor because their gov't is retarded.

2) People aren't really scared of the US, the US just happens to be the trading capital of the world. ie: if a country pisses off the US, their economy would greatly suffer

3) High canadian dollar also means its more expensive to buy things like cars and houses. I'm finally old enough to drive and now cars are more expensive then ever (not to mention gas). Houses on averge have TRIPLED in value over the past 10 years!!! (atleast in vancouver, which is where i live. averge person already spending 60% of earnings on mortgages, anything over 55% means you're poor)

It's not neccisarily a good thing that the lonnie is going up,

Didin't mean to be a downer, but ya... that's how it is...

The high Canadian dollar actually means it's cheaper for us to buy items. It's more expensive for us to export our goods to other countries. The manufacturing sector of Canada will be hit hard (particularily the car manufacturing), but as far as consumers go, it's cheaper for us to buy items. It will take a little bit of time for bigger ticket items to reduce in price.

I can see your point, but you have to realize, Vancouver is completely different. The reason why your prices and in general, western Canada prices are higher, is because of the all the people moving out there for the work. If everyone is making $30 dollars an hour, and there's limited space for people to live, prices are naturally going to go way up. But this has been going on for a couple years now in western Canada.

$2 is £1 indeed. I hate that, that everything is more money here in the UK, but I suppose we have our reasons and whatnot.

My friend went to America in the holidays and bargained herself to death, manga book are so cheap there, whilst I have to pay £7... Meaning $14...

FIrst of all, I'm pretty sure Canada hasn't actually manufactured any cars since the mid-90's, since mulrooney got the free trade thing going with the US. Secondly, like i sadi before, the increase in the dollar has more to do with the US dollar has going down than the canadain dollar increasing. That's why it willl be cheaper to get goods from the US, but Made in America stuff Sucks. The canadian dollar has gone up, but not really enough to noticably drop prices on anything.

even tho the dollar is the same, game retailers are still taking advantage of u canadians, the price for canadian games is so much higher then amrican games

I know..thats what's sucks...i wish they could make it the same...actually they possibly will..hopefully

Let's clear a couple things up, then I shall proceed to kill myself.

Do not comment on the United States government procedure when you live in effin' Canada. In return, I shall not attempt to comment on the Canadian culture and subsequently look foolish. The Republicans did NOT elect Bush, it's called the Electoral College idiot.

Money will not cause a civil war...you people are crazy... The lower buying power of the American dollar attracts more foreigners and traders to come to the states. Theoretically, it should all even itself out after this housing market issue gets fixed, through congress initiated inflation or something else, I don't know.

Iraq was supposed to help the US economy but it was an obvious failure (probably the reason troops are being pulled out)

LOL! The Iraq war was started in 2004...after the US economy had already pretty much picked it self back up from 2001.... And troops aren't being pulled out when compared to pre-december 06 (pre-surge plans).

DaWgX said:

Wars are not what you rely on when your economy is weak. Yes, there are some "benefits" for a country's economy when war does break out, but this in this day and age they are drastically lower. A lot of the manufacturing is done by robots, unlike the way it was done during the WWI and WWII era. Also, the benefits are temporary and don't necessarily go into the private sector (which has the highest purchasing power of all the sectors in an economy).

Another thing, the reason that the US went to war with Iraq was because at the time it was believed Saddam Hussein was trying to acquire weapons grade nuclear material and continuing development of chemical and biological weapons. Later, when it was discovered this was not the case, the purpose shifted to releasing the Iraqis from his tyranny. Your conspiracy theory is entertaining, but you should leave it in your circle of friends while you guys put your tin foil hats on.

Why is it that everyone from Canada does not like the USA. From my knowledge we are the only remaining super power in the world

Back