candles instead of sensor bar...

orangefish7

WiiChat Member
Jan 6, 2007
i did the trick where u replace the sensor bar with 2 xandles and it works... but how

must be something with the infrared light fire gives off

anyone know??

orangefish7 said:
must be something with the infrared light fire gives off

That's exactly it ;)

Fire gives off infra-red light, just like the sensor bar, it's just brighter. The sensor bar has 2 IR LED's in it, and the Wii calculates where you are in space using triangulation (yay trigonometry!). So when you put two candles to either side of your TV, it replicates the 2 sensor bar LED's, just brighter.

So you can play your Wii from further away (also useful if you have a projector instead of a TV).

I will never put a candle by my TV. It is a 20 in. tv and about a year old.

It's actually kinda funny how most of the light energy emitted from a candle is below the visable spectrum. Seems kinda wasteful, all that energy and more than half of it you can't even see.

Something about a side effect of the Carbon atoms being energized to incandescence.

Dallan said:
That's exactly it ;)

Fire gives off infra-red light, just like the sensor bar, it's just brighter. The sensor bar has 2 IR LED's in it, and the Wii calculates where you are in space using triangulation (yay trigonometry!). So when you put two candles to either side of your TV, it replicates the 2 sensor bar LED's, just brighter.

So you can play your Wii from further away (also useful if you have a projector instead of a TV).
The reason candles work is not because they produce infra-red light, because they don't, infrared light is a wavelength of light that is invisable to the naked eye, if you look at a flame, you can see the flame and it produces visable light, the IR reciever in the Wii-mote can pick up any type of light, it can be a series of two candles, lamps, can lights, anything that produces light that you can get two sources of, When i got my Wii, I only used my sensor bar for a short time, then I used that lamps and can lights in my house, so if you see a source of light, you should be a ble to use it as a sensor bar, that's why of you have sunlight in a room, your Wii-mote won't focus as well and go crasy around the screen

who asked how fire gives infrared light? did you ever go to school? and if you did, what did they teach you there? come on people! that's logical information..I think I'm gonna cry

Dallan said:
That's exactly it ;)

The reason candles work is not because they produce infra-red light, because they don't, infrared light is a wavelength of light that is invisable to the naked eye, if you look at a flame, you can see the flame and it produces visable light, the IR reciever in the Wii-mote can pick up any type of light, it can be a series of two candles, lamps, can lights, anything that produces light that you can get two sources of, When i got my Wii, I only used my sensor bar for a short time, then I used that lamps and can lights in my house, so if you see a source of light, you should be a ble to use it as a sensor bar, that's why of you have sunlight in a room, your Wii-mote won't focus as well and go crasy around the screen

Uhhh... Wow this forum really is full of idiots. Yes, candles DO produce light within the bounds of the infrared spectrum. UGH. To say that candles do not produce infrared light is FALSE.

Candles also produce light that is within the "visible spectrum", OBVIOUSLY, as it is visible to the human eye.

A wide variety of household items, from candles to incandescent lamps, create infrared (IR) light, but for the purposes of the Wii it is better to use a device solely in the infrared spectrum so as not to be distracting. In a pinch, though, you can use any two separate light sources.

I want to bash each and every one of your heads in for perpetuating false statements or half-truths.

Nice technical post, but posting on a 4 year old thread.....really?

Last edited:
Back