Cannot Play Uk Discs (help Required)

pookster

WiiChat Member
Dec 30, 2007
I got a wii as a present from dubai and cannot play uk discs can anyone advise me what to do and how to do it please.:yikes:

I'm not sure what region the Indian Wii's are. I'll look into it for you, but as it's in Asia, I'd say that the Indian Wiis are NTSC-J. UK games are PAL region, and PAL games only work with PAL consoles.

Like I said, I'll look into this for you.

EDIT: I found this diagram which outlines console regions.

800px-PAL-NTSC-SECAM.svg.png

India and the UK are different regions, and the Nintendo Wii is region locked. Only games from the same region as your Nintendo Wii will play on it. So, if you bought an American Wii (NTSC) then you can only play NTSC games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL_region <-----This link shows all the countries within PAL regions. Unfortunately, India isn't one of them. That means that UK games will not play on an Indian Wii.

My advice would be to look on the box that your Wii came in, and check what region it is. You will then have to buy games from that region for it. If it's NTSC-J, then I reccommend buying Japanese games from www.play-asia.com. If not, sell it and buy a UK Wii (PAL region).

Last edited:
system

hi all i does sy on the side of my box that is should only befor use only in usa , canada , mexico and latin america.
but is it possible for me to keep the console and down load software to update this or is it the hardware.

pookster said:
hi all i does sy on the side of my box that is should only befor use only in usa , canada , mexico and latin america.
but is it possible for me to keep the console and down load software to update this or is it the hardware.

Your Wii is from the NTSC region. That means it can only play American games. May I reccomend www.amazon.com? Import your Wii games from America, and they'll work fine.

Well technically it's the firmware, but none of us should tell you to mod it.

Besides, using amazon as ^that guy^ said, you get your games cheaper, even with shipping.

Brawny said:
Well technically it's the firmware, but none of us should tell you to mod it.

Besides, using amazon as ^that guy^ said, you get your games cheaper, even with shipping.

You sure do get them cheap. The exchange rate at the moment is VERY good. It's like...$2 is £1. So if a game costs $45 then that's like..£22.50 which is extremely cheap for a Wii game. Also, some games come out earlier in the US, which means that you can receive new games before most people in the UK.

I know there's a LOT of other factors involved, but just look at you guys' welfare system.

Our Government doesn't take all our money (well...after devolution), but they don't give it back either.

Back