Can't get online with Wii and DS at same time..

Extra Life Mushroom

Just That Great
Mar 7, 2007
In a world controlled by greed
Wii Online Code
3210-5733-2914-1432
Okay so I got a DS some time ago. Haven't used it much since at the time I had a really crappy router and could never get online with the DS. And sorry but the single player experience for the DS is a bit lacking for me. So my old router (Belkin wireless-g) finally died after a few years. I upgrade to a linksys and the internet works great.
I encrypted my internet since I worked with Bellsouth (local phone,and internet provider) Tech support at one time and I knew how unwise an open encryption was, if you lived in a populated area. The DS only supports WEP encryption (which is rather old and has become outdated at this point since wireless technology has grown rapidly in the past few years.) The Wii however supports WPA (which allows for more variables and longer encryption keys to be entered).
I've tried setting my router to WEP/WPA encryption hoping it would allow me to use both devices. Big mistake. I had to tear down and rebuild my entire network. Not fun.
So I bought a dongle for my DS (it's a WifiMax) It's supposed to work for a DS and a PSP. Well It never worked for me, and the bastard who sold it to me said it should work fine, and in the microscopic fine print in the bottom of the box says: Not supported by Nintendo or Sony. So I was screwed. Wasted $40.00 on the damned thing.
So I wait a while trying to find a how-to on the web to manually set this up. Then I see in the same store a Nintendo Wifi adapter. I made sure that it was indeed supported by nintendo. And so far it is. I even tried to call their technical help line to see if they can help me set it up. It wouldn't install no matter how hard I tried, I always got the same error. The woman said i needed a firmware upgrade and sent me to some website. I followed their instructions and still nothing.
I've almost decided to wash my hands of the idea of multi player on the DS via WAN (internet). Anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening? Is this normal? Or is my case a rare one? Please help.

Dear, your Wii works wonderfully with my internet connection, however, I have the same problem with my DS not connecting (It also doesn't help that I have no Wifi thingymabobber to connect it) My DS doesn't even have an online option when I turn it on :/

I wish I could provide more help.

oh man. you should have stuck with the router because they handle multiple connections at a time much better. if you would have just set it on wep alone, it would have worked. i use wep for that reason and mine works fine with the wii and ds.

those usb dongles are not very reliable and they lose connection alot when things get in the way of the signal. they are much less powerful than a router is. if you can id try to get another router bro and set it to wep.

and insane gamer kitty, you need to get a game that has wifi online capabilities in order to set your connection up. mario kart is online and will help you as well as tetris ds. game with wifi online always have setting for that.

hope that helps...

dedpoet777 said:
and insane gamer kitty, you need to get a game that has wifi online capabilities in order to set your connection up. mario kart is online and will help you as well as tetris ds. game with wifi online always have setting for that.

hope that helps...

I'll look into that :p

*thinks* I think I bought Mario Kart for Extra Life Mushroom, I could see about borrowing his until I get paid again to set mine up.

Back